Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

So I might be done hanging for a while...

I just had a hammock camper's (or any camper's for that matter) worst fear realized...
    I was hanging at a campground off of the Gunflint Trail last night and the high winds took out two trees simultaneously, that then fell into one of the trees I was anchored to. (I can still hear the cracking in my mind.) They ripped the suspension off the head end of the hammock as well as the the tarp ridgeline tie-out.

I was very fortunate that I curled up into a ball and was only covered my a heavy pine branch. Luckily, I was car-camping and not hiking, or cycle-touring as I had originally planned. I was able to make it to town eventually. (After the Hwy Dept cleared several downed trees on the county road leading out)

I know we say on here to always look around for suspect branches and trees where we hang, but even healthy looking trees can snap in high winds. I was very lucky that I escaped only with a bruised hip and damaged gear...and a severely shortened vacation. I just wanted to say please be sure to check the weather closely when camping and never underestimate the winds up in northern Minnesota. Be extra cautious in remote areas...I hope to see you guys out on the trail someday.

Sent from a hotel in Duluth...

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Wow! Thank God you are safe!

I've been up there for three absolutely incredibly large storms including THE BIG ONE on 07/04/99. No one close to me injured. Suffered some gear damage one night. That was one of the other big storms. One death that night many miles from where our group was. Nature can be both awesome and dangerous.

Got to hear you came out of it okay.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC-2
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    I’m sorry to hear about your experience. That sounds utterly terrifying. It is good to know that you made it out alright.

I’m not sure if this is one of those “get back on the horse” moments but I hope you do find a way to continue to enjoy the out-of-doors whether that be back in a hammock or otherwise.

Take care!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Yea last night was not pleasant. I had two friends going into the back country yesterday and I knew they didn't sleep a wink, whether you hang or are a ground dweller, you were in for a rough night. That was about the most unpleasant put in day I can imagine. Sorry to hear you were out in it too, it was nerve wracking enough just being in the house, outside had to be mmmmm intense.

Tom you were in on '99? My condolences. I missed that one but got to fill my drawers in the Ham Lake fire of '07.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Wow, what an experience! Very happy you weren’t severely injured.
    That being said, simply driving down the road is just as dangerous and even less predictable. Don’t let “What ifs” keep you from enjoying life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Had very HIGH winds down here in Roseville, MN last night. Was out there reading a while but came in as lots of debris falling from my trees.
    Glad your OK.
    Nature can be scary.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Whoa! Close call bro! Glad you escaped with just a bruised hip!

Medic, Coffee nerd, Otaku, Fisherman.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Hmm, I am starting to rethink trees. I love to be out swinging in all six directions in a storm. Infact I have been known to seek out storms in the PNW to Hang in.

Years ago on the coast car camping with two little kids we had huge old growth Douglas Firs coming down around up. Packed up the VW and tootled home post haste.

Last year on a still day we were camping in a BLM area, a tree came down and killed a little guy and injured his little cousin.

Three or four years ago two of our firs came down and decimated our house. Last year we had a tree come down right in front of our vehicle on the way home from the coast. Really gave my on-board computer a jolt, we did not know if the tree trunk was in front or back of us, we just veered to the left and hoped our guardian angel was with us.

Anyway I am rethinking my relationship with trees. I am such an idiot I will probably not stop Hanging something about being an adrenal junkie.

I am glad you are safe, being a bit shaken is wise. Maybe someday you will find some humor in the experience.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Sounds like my kinda luck! Sorry to hear about your tragic loss.....
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast