Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Low budget tarp

Howdy,

Has anybody tried this tarp on the field:

http://a.co/d/e3gtf4o

I just received mine (last week the price was $19.99, two days later it was +$3, now it is $24.99). It fits perfectly my 11 ft. hammock with a SRL. It is listed at 24 oz. the cords seem on the heavy side, I will replace them with thinner, lighter ones. This may be a good warm weather tarp but may not provide enough coverage on a windy day

So far it seems alright and not too heavy. I will post some updates once I try it in the rain.
    If you are under control, you are not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think you are the first to experiment with this Adventure Gear low-budget tarp. It doesn't really matter if it's warm weather or cold weather - only if it keeps you dry.

Since I have a closet full of "low-budget" tarps that wouldn't keep a fly dry, I have pretty much given up on trying these Amazon no-name budget tarps. However, I wish you luck with it!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks
    10.5 ft is very short especially with the radical catenary cuts. I have several of these PahaQue tarps which are almost 12 ft long...they are a great bargain in my opinion.....the DOUBLE....the single is too narrow....
    https://www.amazon.com/Paha-Que-Wild...SIN=B00JUO65J2

You can modify them slightly...replacing the included webbing with cord, and they are nice for the price.

Scott

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I started with a low budget tarp, still have it. From amazon and was on sale for $20ish. Then borrowed a friends eno profly xl. So much better in the rain. Final saved up enough for the superfly. To be honest the price is worth it as I use that tarp year round....

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I'd guess that a 10.5' tarp would be fine for a shorter hammock like an Eno etc... it's a bit short for an 11' hammock. You'll probably want a bit more overlap on the ends if you actually see rain. I know you say it fits well though, so good luck.

I've been pretty impressed with Chill Gorilla tarps on a budget personally.

Images
    I actually just special-ordered a 10.5' Trail Haven tarp from Simply Light Designs. All my GE hammocks are 110" fixed RL or +/- a couple inches on the ones that have UCR ridgelines. The Streamliner hammock, for example, I use about 108".

I do a lot of hanging at home, and my best place for this is between my deck posts that are a smidge under 11' apart. I don't own any 11' tarps, but if I did, they wouldn't fit. My 12' tarps definitely don't fit. So I actually use a 10' square tarp made by Aqua Quest pitched as an A-frame. In theory, a 120" tarp overhangs a 110" hammock by 5 inches per end, but in reality my overhang with this tarp is even a little less than that. The CL's of the hammock definitely stick out beyond the tarp.

That said, I've been out in quite a few storms and always stayed dry. Granted, I'm getting a little help from nearby shrubs and from the deck itself, but it's not like the tarp is staying dry. The ends of the hammock are definitely a little vulnerable, but with a low tarp pitch and careful centering, this does the trick for me. The 10.5' Trail Haven I ordered is just going to give me a few inches more coverage, and I prefer the hex to the square for hammock use, so I'm looking forward to it.

As a brand that sells on Amazon, you might want to look into Aqua Quest. It's a good Silnylon tarp. It's a little more pricey than ChillGorilla, etc. but I'm pretty happy with it. The square is a versatile tarp for other purposes besides hammock use, but they do also make a hex tarp, IIRC.

EDIT: Aqua Quest does not make a hex. I was thinking of the Sanctuary SilTarp by Paria Outdoor. I can't vouch for those.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. 1.6oz. HyperD
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli Pro
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I will report my findings once we get some rain later this week. The reason I wanted to test this tarp is because I have a Kelty Noah 12 that has plenty of coverage but is pretty heavy to carry for backpacking. If the smaller low budget one does not provide enough coverage it would not be worth the weight savings.
    If you are under control, you are not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Hum...bird Pelican
    Insulation
    0-Wooki 20-Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I have a 10x16 foot MIER Waterproof Tarp that came with 6 red aluminum hexagonal Stakes and 6 red reflective lines (the site says they come with 12 now). This very big tarp only weighs 3 lbs with everything packed into the included compression stuffsack. I think it was a heck of a deal at $40. I've used it for more than 14 days/nights with no problems, I even had it set up for about a week as a walk-under shelter from the sun and the rain. One side is reflective(ish). I would love to see the difference between this tarp and a non-reflective(ish) tarp when looked at through an infrared camera. I like having a big tarp and weight isn't too terribly important to me. It is definitely waterproof. There is one seam in it that came taped from the factory. I feel it is well worth the price.
    https://www.amazon.com/MIER-Waterpro...TF8&th=1&psc=1

Tarp
    Mier 10x13
    Insulation
    Teton firefly
    Suspension
    Foxelli straps
    Snug as a bug. How has that mier held up since this post?

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Econo tarps are gr8 way to start out. The trade off of weight/$$ is fine until you can find out what you REALLY want in a tarp.
    When you're done with that, they work just fine for that loaner set-up that we all use to suck in the unwary to our joy.

[+1 on "longer is better"... you already bought into the weight, get the length just for comfort]
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast