Images

I really like the Switchback hammock, a contender for "best" for sure, with/without knee pillow

I have been pulling out lots of my hammocks lately as it has been cooling off a bit(but temp is spiking back up for the next week. ) I had my JRB UL bridge out ( really hard to beat over all ). Then I decided to finally try my HHSS insulation on my Claytor No Net (great hammock, HH Super Shelter worked just fine). Then I moved the HHSS back over to my old HH Explorer UL. I don't see how I could beat the comfort in that one when using that knee pillow(mentioned below). Finally, out came the switch back.

But on all of these I have also been experimenting with a big a** knee pillow, using an air inflated garbage sack inside a stuff sack(things I would probably have with me anyway). Honestly, this hack from Lev has, for me, reduced the differences between all my hammocks to pretty minor. I feel like as long as I am doing that, almost any hammock will do. Although needed least in my bridges, but still might increase over all comfort even in those already totally free of calf ridge. But in the gathered end types, any need for a big diagonal is greatly reduced simply by using a large knee pillow. The slightest amount of diagonal and I was fine in all of them. YMMV!

But I pulled out my Switchback just for the purpose of checking out the big air bag knee pillow, and first thing I noticed when I got in was no calf ridge even without the knee pillow. (but, being the calf ridge champ, I can sometimes find a very slight calf ridge even in this hammock, so the knee pillow will still probably be used, sometimes, and having those knees bent might increase comfort in all hammocks regardless of calf ridge)

Overall comfort with the SB is as good as any, better than most. I love the side tie outs and the way the netting gets tied out way above my head when not in use. I love the way this narrower hammock has a great view. And like the narrow Claytor, should work wonderful with a Speer Pea Pod or Polar Pod. Maybe even better than the Claytor as both the pods and the SB come from the same company, and the Polar is designed for it with correct tie outs and such.

But is this hammock- and/or the pods- even available anymore? Has any one been able to communicate with anyone from this company in recent months? If not, it is a real shame because all of these were excellent products, among the very best. I do know Krispie just got a small order shipped, but I don't think he was ever able to communicate with any one. That could make one nervous about a several hundred $ order. I have not read about any one getting a new SB hammock, or any of their insulation, in a long, long time. And that is a shame. In my experience, those pods were really, really hard to beat when it comes to guaranteed warmth with minimal learning curve or adjustment worries. Never failed me even for a moment. Plus, the hammocks are among the most comfy.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-03-2018 at 11:22.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I too use a Switchback hammock. Recently it was left overnight, while I went to work for the day. The wind had picked up and blew the secured hammock against some bushes. Unfortunately it ripped lengthwise. Repair attempts have made it unusable.
    So I too have been on the fence as to whether to attempt to order a replacement Switchback. Most comfortable hammock I have ever had the pleasure of sleeping in. I miss my Switchback hammock.
    Thoughts or comments from anyone recently placing orders with Trail to Tree Trail Gear.

-Islander

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    What I found handy about my Switchback is that you can flip it upside down and go netless.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    What I found handy about my Switchback is that you can flip it upside down and go netless.
    Obviously you must have had no damage doing that? Did you do that with the net zipped, or unzipped? Or is it OK either way? I would be particularly interested in that if ever got a new Pea Pod. I suspect it would fit even better if the net was under the hammock. Though I'm sure it will fit and work either way. That is assuming I could actually by a Pea or Polar Pod.

Images
    BB did you ever do this mod to your Switchback?

Also 2QZQ will do a zipper mod to remove the net.
    Well not completely you unzip both sides and it is stored in a stuffsack at one end. Don't know if I have a pict of that I will look.

Images
    Here's a pretty bad pict of the switchback with the 2QZQ zipper mod. You can barely see the net stuff sack up at the head end.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Obviously you must have had no damage doing that? Did you do that with the net zipped, or unzipped? Or is it OK either way? I would be particularly interested in that if ever got a new Pea Pod. I suspect it would fit even better if the net was under the hammock. Though I'm sure it will fit and work either way. That is assuming I could actually by a Pea or Polar Pod.
    No damage so far. The net ends up under the hammock and it seems to match the size of the hammock so I usually keep the net closed.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    BB did you ever do this mod to your Switchback?

Also 2QZQ will do a zipper mod to remove the net.
    Well not completely you unzip both sides and it is stored in a stuffsack at one end. Don't know if I have a pict of that I will look.
    No, I have only used sticks. What are you using for that, an arrow, or fishing rod, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    No damage so far. The net ends up under the hammock and it seems to match the size of the hammock so I usually keep the net closed.
    Honestly, I have no issues what so ever with just using the net as is, just tying it up above the hammock as designed. Other than it is a few extra oz to carry in winter when I don't need it. The main reason I would be interested in flipping the hammock over in order to put the net under is IF I ever tried to us a Speer Pea Pod on it. It seems to me that where the net is attached to the hammock ends, when the net is rolled and tied up in it's straps and pulled up in the air out of the way, it will slightly interfere with the pods fit, where it wraps around the ends of the hammock. It would not be a big deal, but maybe less than perfect, even though the Switchbacks and Pea Pods are kind of made for ech other, Polar Pod literally is made for the SB.

However, at the moment I don't have a Speer Pea Pod and I don't know if they are available anymore, so it is sort of academic at the moment.

I guess I could do like Shug and DIY a pod such as he has used at minus 40, but I really really like the Speer ready made design! I should not have sold it, but it's Velcro had become bit weak and I also wanted one with treated down. That is why I sold it.

• + New Posts