WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings

IKEA Top Quilt

I was IKEA and noticed they had a polyester throw in their As-Is section because they have been discontinued. It looked about the right size to make a top quilt and I liked the color. I've been thinking about creating a synthetic top quilt because after the 40-days and 40-nights of rain on the east coast, everything gets damp and that poorly affects down.

I previously made a Costco Down Throw (CDT) using KamSnaps so I figured I'd do the same with the IKEA throw. It turns out it's the same size as the Costco but it has rounded corners.

IMG_7346 (1).jpg

The IKEA throw, IKEA PS 2017, is designed by Paulin Machado and is 47" x 71". They have a red/turquoise one but it hasn't been discontinued yet (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20340490/).

IMG_7347.jpg

It's green and yellow and I like both colors. I went with the green for the outside.

IMG_7348.jpg

You can see the rounded edges and how I attached the sides.

IMG_7349.jpg

When compared to my CDT you can see it's less poofy but, being synthetic, it doesn't compress like the down TQ so it takes up more room. The CDT weighs 478g (17 oz.) while the IKEA weighs 835g (29 oz.). It's definitely heavier. As for performance, it worked well down to 60 degrees but when it hit 58, I started to feel a slight chill when dressed in just my synthetic t-shirt and shorts.

I'd say the performance is similar to the CDT but remains unaffected by the dampness. It also has an advantage in that the yellow fabric is so very soft. Like petting a cat soft. That was one of the reasons I wanted to give this a try. The CDT has that synthetic feel to it which, while soft, is less pleasant when damp.

IMG_7360.jpg

Overall I consider this a success. It was on sale for $15 and since I used KamSnaps it was a breeze to create. It's very snuggely to be under and warm enough for summer nights (mostly).

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Can't beat a $15 summer TQ. I use KamSnaps and cheap synthetic quilts (or fleece) to make my summer TQs very similar to yours. Thanks for sharing.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts