Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Hooks on UQ

I currently have a DW Chamelon and a HG Incubator. Both have some sort of hook attachment points along the outside edges. Even though they are different and won't work together, I'm curious what they are typically used for. I've watched a number of setup videos and didn't see any mention of their intended use. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Your Chameleon has quilt hooks.

I have an Incubator, and it doesn't have any hooks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

MG,

The Incubator I think, has small "D" Rings or grosgrain tabs. This allows you to use " The Triangle Thingies" from Arrowhead Equipment to hold the Quilt in place. Shug also shows how to do this without the Triangle Thingies. He just ties a shock cord to each side's " D" Rings and drapes it over the Ridge Line. That said, Ive never had a problem with my Incubator moving around on me and I dont use either of the above tactics.

Have fun.

Images
    The Chameleon quilt hooks, aka pack hooks, are a little different than shown in the above video, but their purpose is the same. There are 8 of these hooks on the hammock and you can hook them to the UQ's primary suspension shock cord. You don't have to use all 8 (or any of them, frankly). The 4 hooks that are closest to the ends of the hammock can clip directly to the primary suspension shock cord. The 4 hooks that are closer to the center of the hammock can also attach to the primary shock cord, but with my UQ (UGQ Zeppelin) the quilt fabric covers the cord in these spots, so it's a little trickier to attach them.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    Huh, I’m surprised they don’t work together, as I thought the Chameleon and Incubator were designed to match up for quilt attachment. I’ll try that combo later today and if I have a suggestion, I’ll post it.

You’ve done your due diligence to figure this out. If you don’t get an answer here, email Dutch or HammockGear.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    The Chameleon quilt hooks, aka pack hooks, are a little different than shown in the above video, but their purpose is the same. There are 8 of these hooks on the hammock and you can hook them to the UQ's primary suspension shock cord. You don't have to use all 8 (or any of them, frankly). The 4 hooks that are closest to the ends of the hammock can clip directly to the primary suspension shock cord. The 4 hooks that are closer to the center of the hammock can also attach to the primary shock cord, but with my UQ (UGQ Zeppelin) the quilt fabric covers the cord in these spots, so it's a little trickier to attach them.
    Those 4 hooks closest to the center are for tie-outs. The one at your shoulder can serve a double purpose and also be used to position the UQ but using more than one of those 4 for UQ suspension risks ripping the UQ.

The UQ hooks, the ones toward the ends, will definitely keep the UQ under the hammock.
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-03-2018 at 09:28.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Little Shop of Hammocks I have came with pack hooks about 1 foot from the ends of the hammock on both sides so you can run the suspension onto them to keep your UQ in place. Did not think it would make a bid difference but after using them a couple of times I have added pack hooks to all my hammocks. It does require a sewing machine but it is a very easy DIY project. Hardest part was finding narrow grossgain.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Those 4 hooks closest to the center are for tie-outs. The one at your shoulder can serve a double purpose and also be used to position the UQ but using more than one of those 4 for UQ suspension risks ripping the UQ.

The UQ hooks, the ones toward the ends, will definitely keep the UQ under the hammock.
    I'm not sure I agree, because those locations have both a pack hook and a D-ring on the same grosgrain loop. The Chameleon comes with shock cord tie outs that have Lineloc hooks on them, which are meant to attach to the D-rings, leaving the pack hooks open. I suppose those unused pack hooks could be used as tie outs if using something other than the included shock cord tie-outs/hardware. I don't use those 4 pack hooks at all, but your suggestion about not using all of them at once is valid. I never suggested to use them in that way.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    DutchWare Beetle
    If you're using a full size under quilt like the Incubator, you only need to use the hooks on the ends of the Chameleon by running the shock cord suspension through them. The ones closer in towards the middle are used for 3/4 length quilts like the Phoenix the same way.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude18E View Post
    If you're using a full size under quilt like the Incubator, you only need to use the hooks on the ends of the Chameleon by running the shock cord suspension through them. The ones closer in towards the middle are used for 3/4 length quilts like the Phoenix the same way.
    Was just about to add this thought for the unused pack hooks under discussion. I bet that's the ticket... they're for partial length UQ's.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast