Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

NJ > 7th Annual NJ Thanksgiving Hang > November 23rd - 25th, 2018 > Hawkins Bridge

It’s October, and you know what that means … it’s time to start planning for the 7th Annual NJ Thanksgiving Hang!

As always, this hang is about getting out of the house after we gorge ourselves on Turkey the day before to get some fresh air, sleep outside, hang out – and eat some more! While previous years were hike in events, we eventually got to the point where our planned setup outweighed the need to walk - to be honest, we'd rather eat well than backpack, and we were sick of having to carry all the needed cooking gear a mile into camp

In case you're curious about what it's all about, here are some past years’ trip reports:

2017: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=thanksgiving
    2016: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=thanksgiving
    2015: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...1-27-Sun-11-29
    2014: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...30-Trip-Report

A couple of things to know:

This is an all-inclusive event. So, while we charge money for it (gasp! ), that means that everything is taken care of for you. All you have to do is show up with your sleeping gear and ready to have a good time, and we handle the rest.

Tent folk are welcome, as are kids, so feel free to bring friends and family – there will be plenty of room for everyone. We realize that it’s a holiday weekend, but we’ll be out there no matter what, so why not come join us?

With that out of the way, on to the details!

When:

Thanksgiving Weekend, Friday November 23rdto Sunday, November 25th– as usual, arrive any time after 12pm or so on Friday, and we’ll need to be out of camp by noon on Sunday.

Where:

Like last year, we’ll be at Hawkins Bridge Campground. This is a drive-in site, so don’t be afraid to bring extra gear to keep warm, or stuff to entertain yourself and others. The camp has a pump for water, and outhouses for taking care of nature’s call.

For those of you that have been to the NJ Winter Hang or the Loco Libre Hang which is held at Batona Campground, Hawkins is further down the same road, about 6 miles. You can also get there from the other direction – here’s a link to the location on google maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/nfHfc3t2gFM2

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT RESERVE ANY ADDITIONAL SITES AT THIS TIME!

With the layout of Hawkins, we only need to reserve a set number of sites, and then utilize a large open area in the center of camp that’s packed with trees. We’ll take care of securing the sites we need, based on numbers. We’ll make sure we have plenty of space for everyone who signs up to attend. You do not need to reserve your own site to attend, and doing so will throw a wrench in the budget – remember, all you have to do is sign up, and show up.

How:

Please sign up using THIS FORM and make sure to fill out all the required fields. If you have any food allergies or special dietary needs, please let us know so we can plan ahead for you.
    You can view the current spreadsheet HERE

What About the Food?

We’re going to scale back just slightly this year, to keep it more budget friendly, but don’t worry – there will still be plenty of food, and it’ll still be well worth it. Here’s our current planned menu:

Friday Dinner: Fireside Chipotle - chicken or shrimp tacos, beans and rice, guac, toppings, etc.

Saturday Breakfast: Pancakes, bacon, eggs, fresh ground coffee

Saturday Lunch: picnic style – hot dogs, sandwiches, salads, etc. Pack a lunch if you’re going to go out hiking/exploring, or hang out and eat in camp

Saturday Dinner: smoked pork loin, corn bread, potatoes, slaw, Dutch-oven dessert

Sunday Breakfast: breakfast hash, eggs, brats, fresh roasted coffee

*Vegetarian and gluten free options will be available, based on dietary needs (remember to make note on the signup form).

Other Things to Do:

Other than relax, hang out in the woods, and eat? If you need more, don’t worry - since we’ll be at a drive-in spot, the options for other things to do on Saturday are expanded. There’s hiking nearby for those that want to get some exercise (we can arrange a shuttle). There’s also water access, for anyone brave enough to do some November paddling. There’s plenty of local history to explore as well. We’ll also be bringing our deluxe warming tent (based on weather), some camp games, and can potentially organize some other camp activities for anyone interested. Since it’s car camping, feel free to bring whatever you like to pass the time. If you’re game to do some sort of demo (fire building, splicing, bush craft, first aid, etc.) let us know.

Cost:

The cost of the weekend this year will be $40, all-inclusive**, or essentially $20/night.

This covers:

· 5 meals cooked for you (Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast/lunch/dinner, Sunday breakfast)
    · Firewood
    · All site fees

All you have to do is show up with your hammock and/or other sleeping gear, and we’ll take care of the all the other boring details!

If you want to bring snacks or beverages, feel free – but remember that there is no alcohol permitted in NJ State Parks, so plan accordingly.

**We want to encourage people of all ages to attend, so anyone under 18 will be able to attend free of charge.

A Note On Temps/Cold Weather Camping:

In years past temps have ranged from chilly to downright cold (we’ve seen ranges from 40’s during the day down to teens at night), so if you think you may need any gear - or advice on what you’ll need - please speak up, and don’t be afraid to ask. We’re a friendly group, and the last thing we want is for someone to spend the weekend cold because they didn’t ask for help. Many of us may have extra equipment that we can lend if you don’t think your gear will handle the weather, so don’t let that be a deterrent.

Remember to stay well hydrated, and warm beverages will be available as needed. We’ll also have our HQ tent with woodstove for warming, depending on the weather forecast, so don’t be shy, and make use of it if needed.

That should cover all the bases. Hope to see you out in the woods!
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 10-03-2018 at 21:56.

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    This hang sounds great. A focus on what's most FUN about hammock camping: people and food and fun in a great location. Just the right mix - no military rules bs or endless tedious hiking - just FUN. Thank you Silent.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    This hang sounds great. A focus on what's most FUN about hammock camping: people and food and fun in a great location. Just the right mix - no military rules bs or endless tedious hiking - just FUN. Thank you Silent.
    Hey, to each their own, as far as I'm concerned. This hang started out as an annual backpacking trip into the Pine Barrens, and we did that for the first 5 years. It was awesome - but then we got to the point where we were spending more energy getting all the heavy gear into camp so that we could eat well than was really worth it, in my opinion. That brought us to a crossroads: keep hiking and don't eat as well, or accept that this annual outing is as much about good food as anything else, go with it, and adapt accordingly.

The food won

As for rules, the only rules that are non-negotiable are those that are imposed by the state, since we're using the NJ park system and their camps. Nothing any of us can do about that. No alcohol, only camping in designated sites and camps, etc. The park police can and do patrol, so we endeavor to follow the guidelines. We're out often enough that it doesn't make sense to buck the system - that'd ruin it for us and others in the future. It's possible that a few folks do their own thing off the radar, but for any hang that's posted up to the public at large here, that'll pretty much be the drill. Maybe in the long term we'll find another option (private land?), but until that time, their parks - their rules.

Otherwise, the NJ hangers as a whole are pretty laid back and we don't impose any parameters or restrictions on folks that want to join the fun. YMMV.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I really hate your silly form. It sucked last year and it sucks this year. How bizarre is it that I am supposed to "just save the confirmation link that’s provided once you submit, or PM me to make changes." Seriously?

But you do you, girl. Don't let me stop you!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I really hate your silly form. It sucked last year and it sucks this year. How bizarre is it that I am supposed to "just save the confirmation link that’s provided once you submit, or PM me to make changes." Seriously?

But you do you, girl. Don't let me stop you!
    You don't have to save the link, if you don't want to. You're just mad that you can't tinker with the spreadsheet.

Edit: I made the spreadsheet editable. So fill out the form to make sure that the pertinent info gets submitted, then if you need to make changes at a later date, that's now an option.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    But thanks for providing a link to the spreadsheet that cannot be edited. Nice touch!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    But thanks for providing a link to the spreadsheet that cannot be edited. Nice touch!

I have to make sure to give you things to gripe about. I live but to serve.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post

I have to make sure to give you things to gripe about. I live but to serve.
    Too funny!

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Looking forward to this one

Hammock
    NX250, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliner, AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Can’t wait. Signed up! Yes SilvrSurfr and I am coming.
    "I ain't no physciscisk, but I knows what matters"
    Popeye

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast