Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question DIY Ridgerunner top cover ????

I love being able to use the winter cover + UQP or sock for my XLC, it gives me options depending on temp, precip, wimd, etc. However, for the RR, there is only the Spin as far as extra coverage goes. So, has anyone done a diy top cover for their RR? I would think that you could use the netting as a pattern for its shape/size. It could be attached to the hammock @ the spreader bars or something instead of having a zipper, kinda like the BBO that AHE makes for the standard Blackbird. You could also use shock cord on each end to keep it up like the netting , or maybe it could be installed on top of the netting, attached @ each corner to the spreader bars with a Velcro closed slit on each side to get in and out. Id imagine it could be made from Argon or some other lightweight and DWR treated material and wouldn't weigh all that much , proly about the same or close to the weight of a 2QZQ or WB UQP. It I had the skills I would definitely give it a shot since it seems like a very practical idea and would increase cold weather performance just like the BB & XLC winter covers do. What do you guys think? Is it a good idea, or just better to use the Spin alone ? I like having options , and having a winter cover for the RR seems worth it to me. Idk, I have been thinking about it lately since I plan on getting a Spin, why not a winter cover too? Good idea? Worthless? Redundant? What say you? Anyone want to make a few bucks to help me make one? LOL...
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I made a bugnet for my Grizz-Bridge with no zipper.
    Maybe you could do something the same for your top-cover on the RR.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

With Shug around, you get a pretty complete hammock how-to-use video reference library. Add in jellyfish vids for the how-to-make and you're pretty well covered!

I know you said DIY but is there any chance that WB would make it from their net pattern? Just a thought...
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-01-2018 at 11:34.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Idk, I'm surprised that they don't already have one since they have it for the XLC. Something like the AHE BBO that doesn't need to use the hammocks zipper, or Shugs net above is kinda what I had in mind. Having a separate UQP and top cover for my XLC PLUS the sock gives me a ton of options that having just a sock alone doesn't ya know? And with the simple shape of the RR, a top cover wouldnt be complicated I would think. But I don't have any sewing skills so what do I know lol. Although, Jellyfish is only about 15miles from me so...... Lol.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    SLBBXLC
    Tarp
    ThunderFly 20D
    Insulation
    Wooki/DiamondBack
    Suspension
    Loops/FishHooks
    That would be an awesome add-on to the RR hammock. Seems feasible as long as WB could size and replace the current 3mm YKK zipper with a separating/modular zipper such as the XLC hammock has....

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    With those sub zero quilts do you really need a top cover?

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    With those sub zero quilts do you really need a top cover?
    Lol, define " need".

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Didn’t member Acer make a simple topcover a few years back? Worth checking with them.

I think it would be pretty easy if you have sewing skills to get a rectangle of nylon longer than the RR, add some triangles to the ends, and then just drape the whole thing over a new ridge line and clip it with clothespins to that ridgeline, and to the dogbone lines with shock cord. Run some shock cord loosely under the hammock to hold it in place....hmmm this thread has me thinking...

On the other hand, if conditions warrant a topcover, you probably want an underquilt protector too, so we are back to the spindrift:-)

I don’t know why I posted. I have added nothing to the discussion. I will show myself out. ;-)

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    I always have wanted and I think posted asking for it and called and what not: to have the ridge runner with net, in brown or what not, but instead of net, just more brown. I thought that would be sweet. But like the above says, you end up back at spin drift. I have since purchased a spin drift and have used it. It is cool so is the new xlc sock if you will. That one kicks major butt. I have lost interest in the elusive top cover RR and have grown to have strong like with spin drift. I take it next week into wild. All three buddies will have RR(s) and two will have spin drift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a spindrift in bushwack and really like it. The only issue I have with it is making adjustments and removing or adding UQ can be a pain. I think I would have added the pad zipper option at the end just to make fiddling with the quilt easier.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast