Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I must have posted this a bajillion times. "Mini-ucr's" in place of prusik's work great. As far as I know, RedOlearly was the first to intro this idea. As an alternative using split lines, search for SMURL.

As others have said, just pull the skins over the crl. Easy-peasy.

Images
    Another Zing-it CRL with Dutch hook/wasp, plus mesh skins. Ironwire soft shackles prussik'd to CRL to connect tarp. Skins go over everything with the ends of the CRL and hardware coming out the ends of the skins.

When rolling up the tarp skins I start at the wasp end so the hook is always on the exposed end of the rolled skins. This lets me setup by connecting the hook end, then unrolling the tarp as I walk over the 2nd tree to connect the wasp end (the only adjustable point of the ridgeline length) - the tarp never touches the ground.

IME this gives a quick setup with the ability to adjust the tarp position after the ridgeline is tensioned for perfect centering over the hammock (I use a WB Minifly over an 11' hammock). I'm not sure if using different cordage for the soft shackles and CRL makes a difference (Zing-it CRL w/ Ironwire soft shackles), but I haven't had issues with prussiks adjusting or holding even when wet.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I mentioned earlier I’m using a CRL with the Namagear Namaclaws. Make tensioning quick and very secure. I use a single skin that covers both the tarp and CRL.

Plus I just realized exchanging tarps is a breeze. Basically remove one tarp and replace with another and your CRL and skins are both ready to go.

I’ve never tried a split setup, but now that I just got a second tarp I’m planning to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I went from a split ridgeline on a hex tarp to using a CRL with a larger winter tarp. With NAMA Claws, I haven't had any issues stringing up the tarp with the CRL really taut.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I like to use a CRL on tarps when I expect to employ a trekking pole across the top to provide a bit more space. Doesn't work well at all without the CRL.

tarp_with_trekking_pole_bungee.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I like to use a CRL on tarps when I expect to employ a trekking pole across the top to provide a bit more space. Doesn't work well at all without the CRL.
    To the contraty, I've never had an issue using my trekking poles on the pull outs without a CRL. Irionically, I can't find a derned picture of it though. It seems that's the one hammock picture I don't have in my phone.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    I went from a split ridgeline on a hex tarp to using a CRL with a larger winter tarp. With NAMA Claws, I haven't had any issues stringing up the tarp with the CRL really taut.
    Yup, those are the only bits of hardware that I've seen that don't require a little bit of slack when first setting up this style of CRL.

Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I mentioned earlier I’m using a CRL with the Namagear Namaclaws. Make tensioning quick and very secure. I use a single skin that covers both the tarp and CRL.

Why not just put the split ring on the NAMA Claw?

Also I typically keep my tarp in a skin without the CRL. Then I can grab the CRL and any tarp (with or without skin) and head out.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Why not just put the split ring on the NAMA Claw?
    Yeah, I do that. I was one week in a lakefront in Maine in July. Nights were cool and calm... days were warm and really windy. I'd put my tarp in skins every day to save it from damage or from pulling stakes out, but I left it in place on the CRL with the split rings in the claws... no problems.

Plus now that I have a 12' tarp, I don't want to limit my minimum tarp span any further.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    Yeah, I do that. I was one week in a lakefront in Maine in July. Nights were cool and calm... days were warm and really windy. I'd put my tarp in skins every day to save it from damage or from pulling stakes out, but I left it in place on the CRL with the split rings in the claws... no problems.

Plus now that I have a 12' tarp, I don't want to limit my minimum tarp span any further.
    That and there's a bit less tarp sag below the CRL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast