DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

MN - High Landing Backpack site - Jay Cooke State Park

The weather finally broke in Minnesota and it is cool again. The popular campsites are now having more and more openings. I took this chance to get out to the High Landing backpack site at Jay Cooke State Park. This has been on my list for a few years now.

A buddy of mine wanted to get into Hammock camping so I figure what better than a short hike in at one of the best sites Jay Cooke has to offer. So we started off on a short drive from Mpls and began our hike in on a balmy Wednesday.

I was surprised at how wide and easy the trails were getting to this site. Once we arrived we were in the midst of a sea of picnic tables, an all wooden pit toilet, and a bear locker that overlooked the river.
    High Landing 3.jpg

The High Landing site has plenty of trees to hang from for hammocks. There is one particular spot that is perfect. I did the honorable thing and gave my buddy the best spot.
    High Landing 2.jpg His hammock is the one on the left.

I took the consolation prize and hung a few feet away. What surprised me about the site was how roomy it was. There wasn't a bad spot to hang at the site.

High Landing 1.jpg

We spent the evening by one of the two fire pits listening to the river. While we brought water from the creek we pasted earlier on the trail we did discover at the site you can walk down to the river on a smaller trail to get water if you needed.

Rain misted on us throughout the night and into the morning. It slowly turned in to actual rain as we were hiking out. For my buddy it was a successful first night in the hammock and he is hooked! He has since started to sleep in the hammock during the week to get more use to it. So a pretty successful trip overall. I was just excited to get back out camping. Thanks for reading.

I included pictures above for those that prefer to read than watch, but if you prefer to watch instead of reading here is a video of the trip.
    My Youtube Channel: A Year In Camping
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiu...6KWtT23dHHXj1w

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    One of my favorite day hiking areas or gear shakedown overnighters. Aye, not exactly remote single track but a gorgeous park and its right on the edge of town. Thanks for the report.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridgecreek XL
    Suspension
    Myers Tech
    Thank you for the trip report! Looks like a nice over night! What were your thoughts on the Chameleon compared to your Dream Hammock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    One of my favorite day hiking areas or gear shakedown overnighters. Aye, not exactly remote single track but a gorgeous park and its right on the edge of town. Thanks for the report.
    You are right, it makes a really good spot for a gear shakedown. Never thought of that before. Has just enough elevation change and trails to give it a good go.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott8691 View Post
    Thank you for the trip report! Looks like a nice over night! What were your thoughts on the Chameleon compared to your Dream Hammock?
    Both are excellent hammocks with fine craftsmanship from great vendors. My go to recommendation for a camp hammock is the Dutchware Chameleon right now.
    Here's why;

Dutchware Chameleon Pros:
    Price: The Chameleon was half the price though. Both Hammocks had custom add ons, so it is hard to compare apples to apples. At the time I got the dream hammock sparrow I paid a lot for the custom add ons, which the chameleon just has standard. So that drove the price up.
    LayBoth hammocks are the extra wide versions (Dream being 70 inches, Chameleon 68 inches wide) Maybe it was the material but I feel more comfortable laying in the Chameleon. Also I could lay in any direction vs the left/right lay in the sparrow.
    Side Car This is such a game changer. The ability to put all your gear off to the side and not on the ground is huge. Granted Dream Hammock can make a side car too as a custom order, but my experience is that the custom work on Dream Hammock is slightly more expensive. So having this as a standard option is huge. This may lead me to get a Chameleon eventually.

Tie:
    UQ Hooks No noticeable difference. Both kept the quilt in place regardless of lay.
    Bug Net Both have the easy on and easy off design. Also the zippers meet in the middle which I love.

Dream Hammock Sparrow Pros:
    Gear Handles I missed having the gear handles to pull myself up in the middle of the night. In the chameleon but these can easily be custom added. At the time I think I paid $15-$20 for a little amsteel and grossgrain. If you DIY it would be about $5.
    The Stuffsack The Chameleon Stuff sack was a little tight with 15ft straps. Makes it more work to put it away. I feel the Dream Hammock stuffsack was sized more appropriately for the double layer hammock.

With that said I think both are great hammocks from great vendors. I am jealous that my fiancee has the Chameleon with the side car, but I will never show it. I am just happy she enjoys getting out there and camping.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridgecreek XL
    Suspension
    Myers Tech
    Thank you for the incredibly thorough comparison! I may have missed it, but what fabrics are the hammocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott8691 View Post
    Thank you for the incredibly thorough comparison! I may have missed it, but what fabrics are the hammocks?
    I never mentioned it, sorry about that. Both hammocks are double layered.

Dream Hammock Sparrow: HyperD XL 1.6oz
    Dutchware Chameleon: Hexon W 1.6oz

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridgecreek XL
    Suspension
    Myers Tech