Thread: Hello from NY!

Hello from NY!

I suppose the best place to start any introduction is with a bit about myself... I'm a woman in my mid 30s, live about an hour and a half north of NYC (Dutchess county, so I'm pretty close to some great camping) and I've been camping in one form or another my entire life. A few years ago I gave back the tent I borrowed from family and geared myself up so I could backpack with the husband and dog. my system is not very weight conscious... at the time I was concerned with keeping the puppy contained and an ultra light system just would not have worked. Recently the pack grew by two (one a planned addition, the other a rescue and we just couldn't say no) and I was forced to upgrade the tent to one that is most definitely not for anything other than car camping. With two Great Danes, a Rottweiler, and a man that not only has a finicky back but also a tendency to starfish, finding anything that would work for us... well it just doesn't.

So back in July we met up with friends that we hadn't seen in ages and the camping conversation came up. I am the only woman surrounded by like six past Eagle Scouts, their scout master (who is my father-in-law), and they start reminiscing about camp outs. One thing lead you another, hammocks got brought up, and I got bitten by the bug. If it makes it easier for all of us to go away together (I take quite a few solo trips with the oldest Dane) I'm all for it. If it gets him more involved with the scouts again I'm all for it. He works too much and needs to get outside more. I will be making a complete system except for quilts... My previous attempts at working with down did not go so well. I'm pretty good with the sewing machine, but my mother is better so she has kindly offered to teach me the finer aspects to working with nylon.

Fingers crossed (and wallet complaining the whole time)I'll be doing test hangs in the yard by thanksgiving.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    My fingers are crossed for your test hangs...welcome the forum, Dalmatiadane.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

• + New Posts