Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

What is the worst part of hammocking . . . for you

Looking for other's thoughts on the worst part of hammock camping. For me, it is putting on my pants in the morning. I usually have to pee really bad. If I am lucky it is cold so I don't want to dilly-dally. My pants are balled up in the Chameleon sidekick . . . and hanging my legs over the edge of the hammock basically seals the pocket opening so I have to rock back and forth to get anything bulky out of the pocket. I lean back and get my feet into the pants legs and then slide my shoes on while the pants are basically around my ankles/calves (for a 240 lb man this is not easy). Once the shoes/boots are on I can stand up and slide the pants on and get the belt buckled. Now it is time to pee (as quickly as possible) and then get another layer on the top and consider a fire (when it is cold) or think about breakfast (if it is warm).

Just wondering of anyone else has this experience and what they have done to reduce the frustration.

All of this is wonderful but, if I had to change anything about hammock camping, it would be putting my pants on in the morning.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    If I had a penis, I would totally pee into a bottle or off the side of the hammock. I wouldn't even leave my cozy hammock.

#maleproblems
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG top and bottom
    Suspension
    Kevlar Whoopie
    The weight of the extra gear is the down side for me. I sleep so much better in a hammock vs on the ground so I deal with the weight penalty and cut weight elsewhere.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    I like the pack explosion inside a tent - having all my stuff all easy to access.

In the hammock, I put a lot of stuff in the ridgeline organizer but just not the same. I also use my chair (I always take a chair!) as a nightstand - I actually like this part.

As for dressing, I hate trying to change in a tent. I just use the hammock (and tarp if deployed) as a shield and change behind it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    If I had a penis, I would totally pee into a bottle or off the side of the hammock. I wouldn't even leave my cozy hammock.

#maleproblems
    not as easy as it sounds, Ive tried.

For me its underquilts, I still worry about if its set up right everytime.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    There are no worst parts. At my age, I just get out in my shorts and get dressed no harm no foul. AND I just don't care...if you don't want to see it, don't. look.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The worst for me is having to leave my warm and cozy hammock to go pee in the middle of the night. It's particularly annoying in winter. As an extension of this issue, it's hard just getting out of my hammock in the morning when I'm all warm and cozy.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

What is the worst part of hammocking . . . for you

Anytime I have to get out of the hammock is bad. For me, the middle-of-the-night urination is not as bad as the last time out in the morning because:

1. I dont have to put on my pants
    2. I know I will be crawling back into the hammock and be toasty and comfy

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Having to go back to ground after having gotten used to the hammock.

Recently on a trip to Baxter SP, due to park regs I had to sleep in a shelter (I hate shelters, so it was a double whammy) on an air mat and was starkly reminded why I now greatly prefer hammocks.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Probably the same as tent camping. I dont get to go enough.

I never understood the pee in a bottle thing. In full disclosure, I am not of an age yet I guess or condition where I get up in the night to use the restroom. However, I also manage water/drink intake while camping so that I am less likely to need to get up in the night. I have in the past had to get up and it really doesnt bother me. Once, while winter camping, I had to "go" about 1:00am. It was about 10F outside. I got up, went out in my silk long johns (great base layer and for sleeping in by the way), did my business, looked at the stars which were ahhh-mazing, realized it was freakin cold out, and got back into bed. To me it is almost better to get up, get a little chilled, and get back into a cozy warm sleeping bag. I was out like a light in record time. Good times.
    "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast