Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Not getting enough time for more trips...

Deciding whether to DIY it or custom buy it!

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
    And then you decide to DIY it but don't have a sewing machine. Flash forward 5 yrs and you now have to move to a new place in order to fit your 3 industrial sewing machines, a 5'x10' cutting table, etc, etc.....

My least favorite part about hammock camping is the slippery slope.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

About the only thing that bugs me is staking out my tarp. It is not hard, does not require an engineering degree, but it bugs me enough that from time to time I do minimal stake outs, which is fine unless a wind blown rain hits during the night. All in all I simply love to hammock camp, to the extent that I go a lot. I have a great indoor area to hang and air out all of my gear, so I'm ready for another trip. I'm planning to do around 17 or 18 nights in Oct., 8 or 10 in Nov., 6 or 8 in Jan. and I do all this even though tarp stakes bug me. I love my hammocks.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Sometimes I fall asleep with my glasses on, and then they migrate into my quilts, and then I have to fish around for them in the morning.

I still haven’t found a pair of readers from my last trip. Maybe they fell on the ground.

That would be a shame, since they had leopard print frames and made me look like one of the ladies from the Far Side.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Definitely keeping all my stuff organized at camp. I hate how disorderly the area immediately under my hammock gets, especially when I'm making dinner (or I would, you know, if I were foolish enough to cook where I sleep...).

I've made progress changing the order in which I pack/unpack. Even so, there's always a lot of stuff sitting on my Tyvek sheet just waiting to get bumped and lost forever in the mess that is every forest floor.

Judicious use of my ridgeline organizer and peak loft has been somewhat helpful, but there's still only so much space. I think it's just a matter of doing more camping and getting more comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
    Few lessons learned over the years when it comes to DIY.

a) I always double or triple the budget I planned for (and assumed would save me money)
    b) count your time. Your time is money and once you include it. Assume 4x or even 5x the budget
    c) outside of sense of accomplishment, buying it will save you time, headaches and money (lots of money).

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Packing my CPAP gear along. Sure it keeps me alive, but what a PITA. I dont mind putting on pants. Stand up and put them on. Don't look in my tarp if you don't want to see THINGS!
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    ....Winter

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I guess there are a few things specific to hammock camping that do cause me a little stress but nothing major for sure.

Site selection. Camping with others would be the big one. Sometimes others pick the general site and it leaves little for the two hammocks my wife and I hang in. The uncertainty of not knowing if you will be able to find a spot is not fun. This would also include going by ourselves to a new area we have not been to before, you never know what you will find on the other end.

We do tend to make repeat trips to areas we know well so it isn't a big deal but we live in Alberta and a trip south to some of the parks in Montana seems like something we would like to do. It is common to see stories here however of people discovering areas where hammocks are not welcome, all shelters must be over the provided tent pad or rules against attaching anything at all to the trees discourage any thoughts of going south of the boarder with our hammock gear. A lot of these issues can and do exist in Canada also but, at least in Alberta, we also have crown land where you can pretty much do what you want. Most of our trips are to these areas.

So the uncertainty of site selection leaves me with a bit of a feeling in my guy that has to be the worst hammock specific thing about the hobby for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast