Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I hang full time. Yesterday I took down the hammock I was using so that I could do some mod work on a Hammocktent 90*. Since I had an evening commitment I failed to re-set up a hammock and UQ for the night. Consequently I slept on an inflatable insulated pad on the floor. This morning I felt how regrettable that decision was ;-(

Most the time I sleep in a HT of what ever fabric they are made of. I discontinued using the gamma UL model in favor of the regular HT gamma because I did't want to potentially compromise the longevity of my favorite light weight camping hammock. I also have a couple of WBBB XLC made of the 1.7 fabric that works fine. I previously owned a DH SL Raven of the Hex70 2.2. However, when I was confident hanging was a long term commitment I decided to go with a DL of the Hex70 2.2 (a DH Sparrow) specifically because I wanted it to last through use and abuse. It isn't intended to be my backpacking hammock as I have others better suited for fulfilling that function.

Also, I went with as wide as I could get the Hex70 2.2 hammock fabric, but as I have used the hammock over considerable time I have come to believe that it really could have been less wide and been perfectly fine.
    Have you felt that the fabric has been fine for indoors? Im interested in getting a hyperd kit from RSBTR but unsure if its suitable as an indoor hammock. Its between that or buying a large tablecloth, which has the benefit of being washable.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Most of the time I hang in a Hammocktent Alpha, Beta, or Gama which are made out of a lighter fabric. The WBBB XLCs are the 1.7 oz fabric, one SL one DL. I previously had a DH Raven in the Hex70 2.2 that I sold to finance the Sparrow. I hang full time and swap occasionally. I know it is a personal thing, but it really doesn't seem to make one bit of difference to me which fabric I am using. So perhaps I'm not the best one to ask. My main motivation for the 2.2 was I didn't want fabric durability or longevity to become an issue so time down the road, hence the 2.2.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by hammocksarecoolbro View Post
    I think I may go with a tablecloth as I probably will need something I can wash. The one you recommended is the "90x156" Rectangle Chambury Casa 100% Cotton Tablecloth For Wedding Party Decoration" correct? I'm hoping the quality is still solid. Im debating now between that or a hyperd kit from RSBTR.
    Yes, mine are the Chambury Casa 100% cotton, 90x156, and I've ordered 2 more. I'll know soon if they're still as good quality as my current ones from a few years ago. I like the length (12ft after shrinking). I just do folded/whipped ends and hang on wall rings or my DIY Tensa stand with very short suspension (a pair of porch swing springs and either Amsteel soft shackles or Quick Links). Most people probably will find 85-90" too wide (High tight "bathtub" or "clamshell" sides are an issue with a very wide hammock unless you hang it with a lot of sag and/or fold the ends Hennessy-style to get softer sides instead of just gathering in a channel), but these t'cloths only come 90" wide for the 12ft length I wanted after the cotton shrinks. It's no big deal to cut & narrow-hem one side for about 66 or 70" wide. Wash & dry to pre-shrink first! It won't shrink much if you hang it to air-dry, but I put mine in the dryer on low temp.

If you like the feel of the HyperD, by all means give it a go. Maybe try one of each? It's good to have a spare hammock. I like to keep a few in reserve for house guests. They often end up as gifts when the guest goes home. My goal is to get more friends hooked on hammocks: "The first one's free!'"

Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    Yes, mine are the Chambury Casa 100% cotton, 90x156, and I've ordered 2 more. I'll know soon if they're still as good quality as my current ones from a few years ago. I like the length (12ft after shrinking). I just do folded/whipped ends and hang on wall rings or my DIY Tensa stand with very short suspension (a pair of porch swing springs and either Amsteel soft shackles or Quick Links). Most people probably will find 85-90" too wide (High tight "bathtub" or "clamshell" sides are an issue with a very wide hammock unless you hang it with a lot of sag and/or fold the ends Hennessy-style to get softer sides instead of just gathering in a channel), but these t'cloths only come 90" wide for the 12ft length I wanted after the cotton shrinks. It's no big deal to cut & narrow-hem one side for about 66 or 70" wide. Wash & dry to pre-shrink first! It won't shrink much if you hang it to air-dry, but I put mine in the dryer on low temp.

If you like the feel of the HyperD, by all means give it a go. Maybe try one of each? It's good to have a spare hammock. I like to keep a few in reserve for house guests. They often end up as gifts when the guest goes home. My goal is to get more friends hooked on hammocks: "The first one's free!'"
    Thank you for your input! I ended up going with the tablecloth and it came a week early, I'm very excited. Do you wash them on hot/cold? Also, do you have a link to any instructions on how to fold & whip the hammock? I found a few videos but a unsure of the best way.
    Last edited by hammocksarecoolbro; 10-11-2018 at 18:11.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Also, do you have a link to any instructions on how to fold & whip the hammock? I found a few videos but a unsure of the best way.

best is I think a personal preference thing

you can just do the simple scrunch/gather and see how you like that

equal folded pleats works for a lot of folks too

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Thank you for your input! I ended up going with the tablecloth and it came a week early, I'm very excited. Do you wash them on hot/cold? Also, do you have a link to any instructions on how to fold & whip the hammock? I found a few videos but a unsure of the best way.
    Sorry for the late reply. I'm still dealing with the aftermath of last week's big storm Michael; huge trees down all around that missed my house by mere inches. I'm still cutting and clearing trees off the road to get out.
    For the cotton tablecloths, I wash mine warm, then low heat in dryer, or hang to dry if you prefer. They shrink the first time about 5-6% in both length and width; after that they launder just like sheets but heavier. Non-chlorine bleach if needed, since chlorine will weaken the fabric in time.

As Tikker said, The "best" fold or gather method is the one YOU like best! A lot of folks sew channels in the ends for continuous loops, and others either pleat or scrunch the ends up and whip. I like to use a fold-over-fold & whip method I saw about 10 years ago by HF member wilsonbmw, who deconstructed his Hennessy to reveal how they did it. It took me a while to locate that old post, but here it is: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ull=1#post8228
    It was a little confusing to me the first time, but it made sense once I tried it with a handkerchief, and now I can "just do it." HeadChange4U later showed a different way (with pleats, I think?). I prefer wilsonbmw's folds to the other methods because it gives softer side edges on wide hammocks. Wilsonbmw explains it in his post. If needed I'll try to draw a diagram, which might be easier to follow than his photos.
    (P.S. If you use the photos from the link above, ignore the big holes in the ends and the numbered folds. He was just showing how his Hennessy Explorer was made as he took it apart to reveal its "secrets." In particular, see posts #24, 53 and 60 of that same thread if you're curious. )
    Last edited by WhollyHamaca; 10-21-2018 at 12:37. Reason: postscript

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Data point: I've now definitively linked me sleeping a week straight in my otherwise lovely Hexon camping hammock with my back breaking out in pimples. Back to cotton: clears right up. I have oily skin, and the thin nylon just doesn't let it breath or wick any away like cotton. Camping, it's not an issue since I wear a merino base layer even in warm weather. Indoors, I never do.

Wholly, glad you're safe from Michael. With a 90" wide hammock, you could lay transverse, or 90° from the ends, no? To enjoy what seems to me could be the flattest of lays, like a log in a sling. Have you tried? I posted elsewhere that ginormous hammocks (18-9') lain across may have been the norm in pre-Columbian Caribbean societies: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mbian-hammocks
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Data point: I've now definitively linked me sleeping a week straight in my otherwise lovely Hexon camping hammock with my back breaking out in pimples. Back to cotton: clears right up. I have oily skin, and the thin nylon just doesn't let it breath or wick any away like cotton. Camping, it's not an issue since I wear a merino base layer even in warm weather. Indoors, I never do.

Wholly, glad you're safe from Michael. With a 90" wide hammock, you could lay transverse, or 90° from the ends, no? To enjoy what seems to me could be the flattest of lays, like a log in a sling. Have you tried? I posted elsewhere that ginormous hammocks (18-9') lain across may have been the norm in pre-Columbian Caribbean societies: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mbian-hammocks
    I have trouble with nylon or poly against my very DRY skin. Hexon is wonderful, but it just doesn't breathe or feel nice like cotton or silk, so I only use synthetics for camping and if I need to travel light, and then I wear a thin silk base. I'm so pleased with my cotton tablecloth hammocks that I bought more for reserves and gift hammocks. UPS delivered them just before Michael brought down all those big trees and blocked access. That storm was scary, with huge rain, lightning strikes, and micro tornadoes all around. What, me worry?! Nobody got hurt, I have standing walls & a roof, power (yay for underground wires!), emergency supplies for a month, hundreds of other big safe trees (I hope -- always looking up), several cords of oak and hickory firewood once the fallen trees are cut up and split, and all the makings for more hammocks. What more could I want, besides a lumberjack with a big chain saw! Plaid shirt optional.

Thanks for the link to your Pre-Columbian post. I don't know how I missed that before! Fully transverse with a lot of sag is great for humongous hammocks (also IMO the only way to safely use a hammock with spreader bars, but why?) "Like a log in a sling" -- that's me! I'll try transversal on my DIY Tensa stand (many thanks for the brilliant design, Latherdome!) in "chair" mode with both apices tethered and almost touching the ceiling. If the poles interfere I could instead put hooks in the ceiling joists, and pulley the hammock middle up to ceiling when the floor space is needed. Watch out for that ceiling fan!

I have old spine and shoulder injuries that make it hard to exit a 60"+ wide hammock unless the sides are quite floppy. With simple gathered-ends or the commercial Brazilian style with cord nettles I find the sides too tight unless the effective ridgeline for the usual 30* or so angled lay is at least 12ft and hung with a lot of sag. That's hard to achieve in my very small house, so until my miracle cure happens I do best with the soft sides I get with folded & whipped ends on my diy hammocks. It works for transverse as well as lengthwise on angle, virtually eliminates knee hyperextension or heel pressure. Win-win-win!

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Insulation
    New River long
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Since weight and tarp coverage is not a concern I would use a 13’ long, Hyper-D XL.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Since weight and tarp coverage is not a concern I would use a 13’ long, Hyper-D XL.
    13 ft or longer is my preference, too. I was a little disappointed that my 90x156 (13 ft) cotton t'cloths shrank to just 12 ft when laundered (maybe could have avoided some shrinkage with cold water wash and no dryer, but the fabric is very nice so I don't mind). I have a really comfortable 15 ft hammock that can only hang from the ceiling in this little house. Still finishing interior construction, so I haven't hung it here yet. That's an incentive to finish the job.
    Hyper-D is good stuff, but I prefer cotton or silk for my full time indoor sleeper. As always, HYOH and enjoy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast