Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hammock Gear Journey Tarp vs Warbonnet Superfly

Hi everybody, couldn't find any threads on this.
    I'm in the market for my first tarp with doors, and these both seem pretty comparable. Any opinions on which one would be a better choice? Thanks in advance!

Kirkevan,

Hello. Ive been out of State for awhile and just saw this post.

I did a lot of research the last year or so, trying to figure out a Tarp, that met my specs. I was down to the same two choices as you. When all was said and done, I went with the Journey Tarp.

If I remember correctly, The Journey came with the side pullouts. The 12 foot length I wanted, afforded me better coverage overall. The Warbonnet may not have been available in 12 foot, when I was looking.

FWIW, I am 100% happy with The Journey Tarp. However, you cant go wrong with either company. Both are top notch.

Be safe.

I agree. Can't go wrong either way. Probably comes down to very personal preferences re fabric, color, and minor feature differences.

The center tie-outs on the Journey is a nice included option. I had noticed wind blowing the center panels in on my Superfly (sometimes orientation to wind direction is not an option) and have since installed center pole pockets with tie-outs which helped aleviate this. I'm still not sure why WB does not even offer this as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtngeronimo View Post
    The center tie-outs on the Journey is a nice included option. I had noticed wind blowing the center panels in on my Superfly (sometimes orientation to wind direction is not an option) and have since installed center pole pockets with tie-outs which helped alleviate this. I'm still not sure why WB does not even offer this as an option.
    FWIW, pretty sure Brandon actually is doing those things as options these days.
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-26-2018 at 17:03.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hammock Gear Journey Tarp vs Warbonnet Superfly

I'd go for the journey. The extra center guy out is quite nice if you need it, and I believe the price is better too. The journey is on my list when I want a winter tarp one day.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC-2
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap

I don’t have a Superfly but do own and love my 12’ HG Journey. It is light, packs up tiny, has a stuff sack sized to hold the tarp with a tarp sleeve and all the lines I use, and has great coverage and flexibility in pitching.

If I recall correctly, there is a distinction in the materials of the two. The Superfly can be had in silnylon and silpoly while the Journey is a xenon tarp. The silpoly and xenon are similar but are not the same thing. Someone else will have to fill in the details but it went something to the tune of the xenon of the Journey having a slightly lower hydrostatic head rating when compared to typical silpoly such as that used in that version of the Superfly.

While there appears to be no debate that the distinction between the xenon and silpoly exists, there is some debate as to whether or not it matters. Some say that their xenon tarps have wetted out where their silpoly tarps have not. Others have rebutted that with experience that has shown the xenon tarp to never have wet out. I believe it was Kitsapcowboy who mentioned that his favorite material for his DIY projects is the xenon and that he has never had a xenon tarp wet out even in the worst of Pacific NW storms.

I haven’t had mine wet out either but it hasn’t been subjected to anything more than a mild rain storm here and there, certainly not a serious downpour like some have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    FWIW, pretty sure Brandon actually is doing those things as options these days.
    Oops...You are right, under the custom tarp builds. The center pole is a great mod.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

I have the Superfly and love it. Been thru a couple of nights of very strong wind in cold MN weather and kept me warm and cozy.

My Superfly hasnt seen a heavy rain but my minifly has. It kept me dry in a really strong rain for about 6-8 hours straight. No wet out. I was VERY impressed for such a small tarp!

I have to assume the Superfly would have done the same.

The point is, the extra foot is not necessary but I would guess it does allow you to hang the tarp a little higher if you get a little closterphobic (sp?).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have the superfly and love it. I have used it several times and two of those times have been in extreme downpours. The last time was just last weekend. Started raining at 6pm and didn't stop until about 7am. I also had two XLCs side by side with Dutchs' spreader bar and the Superfly provided total coverage plus extra. I also use the pole mod and it really opens it up.
    Last edited by Immortalviking; 09-27-2018 at 09:44.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast