Hennessy Explorer zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Cheap ebay down UQ?

I'm looking for a cheap down UQ (student budget, pain in the bum) to extend hammock camping to winter in good weathers. I live in Finland, so down is basically only insulation which gives me the comfort of hammock without need to be afraid of waking up in hypothermy (Also tried this one at spring, did not enjoy it too much).

I'm planning to order a proper, US made down UQ in some point but at the moment the budget kills that dream totally. I anyway walk into this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Duc...UAAOSwP65biQDB and I'm curious if someone has ordered these cheap down UQs from ebay or similar web shops? Is there any potential on them?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    It's different. Its listed as 650 fp so probably similar quality to the Costco down throws.

I use my Costco underquilt in my unheated canadian sunroom all winter long. It gets cold but theres no wind

Ymmv but for the price it's worth a shot. Yiu can always add more insulation

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    It's not really an underquilt, it's a tube. It would be hard to get a diagonal lay using it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    you could rig it like an UQ tho

actually it's wide enough, you could probably fold it in half, and have a pretty warm UQ, heh

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wow, what a gamble. Could be the "find of the century," or could be "a waste of money." I would bet on "waste of money." I would never buy hammock insulation from Amazon, and never in a million years from E-Bay!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cheap ebay down UQ?

500g of (low quality?) down for a <1kg total weight, and a claimed temperature limit of 0°C...
    I don't think this is going to be warm.
    I got a Chinese down mummy sleeping bag from eBay to modify into a TQ. It claimed to have 1000g of down (and temperature limit of -20°C). It's a good warm quilt for my modest needs, but still weighs in at 1.5kg after mods.
    I think you'd have better luck with a lower temp rated rectangular down sleeping bag from eBay and modifying it yourself, if you can sew at all. Or figuring out a makeshift suspension system of some kind of you need to use the whole unzipped bag under your hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    My expectations of that UQ are not too high, seemed kinda sketchy even in most optimistic way. With UQ protector to kill the wind pushing to down it might work tho.

Anyway, there was an option to zip it open and use it as a proper UQ with a normal sleeping bag as top quilt as I have been using this far with DD UQ. I have bought several cheap trekking items from Ebay (nothing which my life depends on on trail tho) and this far they have been doing very well.

I'll probably think that one for a while anyway and if I end up ordering this I'll update here how it ends up working if I survive the test night.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Not on the trail. Backyards, front porch, car or dump camping maybe.

Pretty much with SS here too.

I've been cold on the trail with good quality insulation, because I either missed the forecast a bunch, or failed to make the right adjustments. To have a "maybe" piece of insulation in those situations would not be desirable in the least.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts