Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up Mason Dixon Trail fall clean-up hike & hang

Hey guys, it's that time of year again! I've had to put trail maintenance on hold all summer since " the tick incident " , but now it's time to plan our next work hike and hang on the beach. I know MAHHA and NoVa are coming up soon as well, so I wanna plan now that way we can have the best turn out. As far as a date goes, it looks like the weekend of Oct. 26 is out for me due to a camping trip I have planned with my daughters scout troop. My work schedule isnt out yet this far in advance, but is flexible so the earlier we set a date, the better. Since the trail hasn't been worked on all summer, I'm gonna need as much help as possible this time so if you wanna come, please do! I'm gonna try to schedule this so it coincides with a work hike day for the board of directors so they and the other trail maintainers can all come and we can have an " all hands on deck" sort of thing. This way we will be able to use both of the walk behind weed eaters the board just bought , plus our regular weed eaters , loppers, folding saws,etc and we can have a sawyer on hand to take care of any large blow downs that need cut up.

The clean up hike will most likely start that Saturday morning around 9-930 like usual, and end around 1-2. You can hang just Friday night, just Saturday night , or both.... it's up to you guys depending on what your schedule looks like and stuff. I'm ok with all 3 options , but depending on my schedule I might not be able to hang with you Friday night. Even so, your still more than welcome to come down and hang if you want. I'll know for sure when it gets closer to the weekend we pick. In the past we have done a group dinner and breakfast, let's keep with tradition and do the same this time. So, what do we want to eat and who is bringing what? Lunch is usually out on the trail so plan accordingly. There is also plenty of water on the trail too so bring a filter if you need to fill up out there.

Depending on when we decide to do this will dictate the temp and type of insulation you'll need to use. Generally speaking though, the average temps from October 1-15 are : high~75/70 , low~ 60/45 .... Oct 16-31: high~ 69/62 , low~ 45/39. November 1-15 : high~ 64/58 , low~ 39/35.... Nov 15-30 : high~ 57/52 , low~ 35/31. Now obviously this is just the average and the actual temps that weekend could be drastically higher or lower. However, from what I've seen of the long range westher patterns and " predictions" so far, due to this being an el Niño year it looks like the upcoming temps will be trending at or below average with above average precip for the mid Atlantic and south. Our fall hang last year got down to 40° at night with the wind making it feel in the mid -30's. Also, depending on if we hang on the beach or in the pine grove will make a difference too , with it generally being cooler on the beach due to the lack of terrain features to block the wind, lack of a tree canopy to block radiant heat from the ground up into the atmosphere at night and being so close to the water. So id definitely say to plan on it being on the cold side. Let me know when your free and we can get a date figured out.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Still toying with
    I could come help any time after 11/12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve gotta see about getting a kitchen pass from the wife —- I’m already going to be gone this weekend, MAHHA weekend, possibly going to the Loco Libre hang and then attending NOVA hang.
    I didn’t do any hanging at all most of this year so I’m making up for lost time - ha ha ha.
    At this moment, my calendar has me available 10/19 - 10/21; possible but doubtful for 10/26 - 10/28 since we’re babysitting the granddaughters for that entire week; and then anything after 11/12...

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I think mid November is good for me too. In October, my youngest still has regular cheer the first 2 Saturdays in October, and cheer competitions the last 2 Sundays of October and the first 2 in November. We also have a camping trip with her scout troop @ Lums Pond the weekend of Oct.26 , and I think she starts gymnastics the 1st Saturday in November since her Tuesday tap/ballet dance class and cheer @ the Saturday football games will be over. Then NoVa the weekend of November 10 right? .And on top of all that, I'm about to start a new job within the next week or so. I will essentially make my own schedule I think since I will be the one in charge of scheduling everyone. My boss said the time off shouldn't be a problem just as long as I submit the paperwork asap as soon as I start since its a very large company and I will have enough employees working for me to schedule them for my days off. Ahh, the perks of FINALLY being in management right?, lol. So, that said, let's start looking at planning this for AFTER NoVa weekend in November, sound good to you guys?

Tig, I know you should be ok UQ wise with your HG Incubator , but how are you with top insulation? By then, the temps will most likely be low 40's or even mid-low 30's and it's usually pretty windy down there around then If you remember from last fall..... It was mid-late October wasn't it? and we saw a 40° low that night with a decent wind blowing right in off the water. I will prolly be using my 40° Burrow supplemented with my Snugpak Thermalon TQ liner , so I will have these if you need them: -10° Burrow , Sandra's 40° +2oz overstuff Burrow, 32° Snugpak TQ , 40° overstuffed CDT TQ , 50° Snugpak Jungle Blanket TQ ,40° climashield TQ and the fleece TQ I made for Lily/ as a TQ liner for me. I know you also have the Cocoon like I do, and I've used mine into the mid-upper 20's with the Snugpak TQ and a small piece of reflectix between the Cocoon and hammock body, just under my butt and was toasty warm. I know you said you sleep super cold so your more than welcome to hang onto one just in case if you want. The -10° might be perfect for you since you do sleep super cold and it's a custom short length. At those mild temps, it could probably be used **** near on its own without an UQ it's so warm lol. Idk if Lily will be hanging with us this time or not since it will be November, in the 30's, and she's only 6 , and I KNOW for sure Sandra won't be since it will be November and in the 30's lol. I think the Lums Pond trip late next month will be as cold as she will ever hang lol. But hey, at least I finally got her to try hanging right? Baby steps!!!

FOOD: What do we wanna eat? Amy's ( Jellyfish) Dutch oven sourdough pizza seems to be our usual ,.as long as she can make it this time and breakfast last time by Deb ( Tigglet) was great. I'm open for ideas if we wanna change it up or whatever you guys wanna do.

Let's get this planned now so everyone that wants to come , can. I know a few people have been trying to for a while now, and just haven't been able due to work or family stuff. But hey, families are more than welcome if that's what it takes lol! Bring em' all, I can use all the hell I can get! Tents ( gulp) too if you have a friend or family member on the fence about hanging. Maybe a small hang and hike is just what they need to get them out of the cold, hard dirt finally?

But anyways..... So sometime after 11/12 is what we are looking at, let's go with that for now and I will send everyone else that usually comes a PM to get them on board. I have a ton of work that needs done out there and 1 work hike might not be enough, so if you can't make the first one and still want to come, let me know and we can set up a second date also. I will let the board of directors know we are looking at mid November so they can plan an all hands type of thing to get everyone that's already involved with the trail to come help us out as well. We always have a great time doing this so I'm really looking forward to seeing my regular " Mason Dixon Hammock Club" crew and I hope some new faces too!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

I should be OK for top insulation.... I've got a 15* down sleeping bag I can use as a topquilt. I've also got a CDT that I botched up the kamsnaps on for a Gemini UQ that I've been using in the house. I can throw that inside the sleeping bag or on top if need be. Have the single layer of a Gemini UQ that I can put under the hammock if the HG Econ 0* Incubator isn't enough... but I doubt I'll have to do that. I plan on bringing most of the stuff with me - just in case I or someone else needs it - that includes the Snugpak cocoon and any down or fleece throws I have around. I also have the chameleon top cover --- so that should help keep me warm if it's really cold.

I slept out in the yard one night back in Feb - I think it got down to about 28* that night.... I was toasty until I had to get up to pee overnight.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I’m jammed between now and Mid November. Every weekend is booked. Cooler weather is our friend.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I’m jammed between now and Mid November. Every weekend is booked. Cooler weather is our friend.
    Yeah, me too too Amy. And with starting this new career, I have no clue what my schedule will be. Although, since I'm in charge of the schedule I think I can give myself weekends off. On the other hand , I don't wanna just come in and give my employees a ****** schedule with no weekends off if they already have some weekends off now ya know? Ill be working EVERY weekend after they all quit on me lol. But as long as I schedule this now, I can make sure to take off that weekend. By mid November we will be done with Lily's cheer and scout camping trips and my middle daughter will be done with field hockey. So yeah, let's shoot for sometime AFTER the 14th ( my birthday ) that should be far enough out for most people to plan if they wanna come I think. Plus, NO TICKS or SPIDERS and you can even go topless ( your hammock of course lol) if you should choose. Definitely the best time of year to have this. We will be able to get A LOT of the small underbrush cut out and stuff with the the walk behind trimmers and weed whackers since the leaves will be gone by then mostly.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigglet View Post
    I should be OK for top insulation.... I've got a 15* down sleeping bag I can use as a topquilt. I've also got a CDT that I botched up the kamsnaps on for a Gemini UQ that I've been using in the house. I can throw that inside the sleeping bag or on top if need be. Have the single layer of a Gemini UQ that I can put under the hammock if the HG Econ 0* Incubator isn't enough... but I doubt I'll have to do that. I plan on bringing most of the stuff with me - just in case I or someone else needs it - that includes the Snugpak cocoon and any down or fleece throws I have around. I also have the chameleon top cover --- so that should help keep me warm if it's really cold.

I slept out in the yard one night back in Feb - I think it got down to about 28* that night.... I was toasty until I had to get up to pee overnight.
    Yeah, you should be good to go with what you have then. I just exited that I can FINALLY use my 40° econ Burrow that I got over the spring lol. It got down to 58° last night , tonight is gonna be 57°, and WeatherUnderground has Saturday being a low of 53° .... YAY , fall is FINALLY here ! I've been looking at a lot of long range predictions and historical based forecasts the past few weeks and from what I've seen, most are predicting either a weak, eastern based, regular el Niño or an el Niño Modoki. Both of those " generally " produce colder than average temps for our area and more precipitation than average. Now obviously it's a long way out still , and several weather patterns have to form just the right way to produce those 2 el Niño scenarios, but so far the current sea surface temps and weather patterns are looking like the beginnings of past el Niño Modoki that historically, produced a cold, wet fall/winter. It's still early and hard to tell for sure but It's definitely leaning that way though..... Here's an article that explains it a lot better than I can lol : http://content.wboc.com/el-nino/ . So I'd say to definitely plan on bringing as much down as you can.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here's another link about the weather : http://econintersect.com/pages/weath...save_print.php . This one is very technical and I didn't understand most of it, but I could def see the big picture that was painted. So it looks like we just might have perfect winter for hanging with lots of snow and colder than average temps.... the beginnings of which will be around the middle of October when the temps start to stay on the cool side. Bring it on! I wanna push my -10° quilts and see just how far I can take them! lOl

Hammock
    DIY 10' Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    Gorilla Fortress
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Incu
    Suspension
    Straps w rings
    Images
    I'm a maybe, if I can get approval from the boss lady.
    Lucky me, lucky mud. - Kurt Vonnegut.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast