BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Spreader bar / Trekking Pole options?

Anyone come up with a way to use your trekking poles as spreader bars for your BMBH? Counting ounces and want to optimize my trekking pole se and eliminate carrying the spreader bars.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are some threads on that subject......http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...archid=9972419

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    Anyone come up with a way to use your trekking poles as spreader bars for your BMBH? Counting ounces and want to optimize my trekking pole se and eliminate carrying the spreader bars.
    Hi! It has been done before. Peter Pan used trekking pole when we did the 100 Mile Wilderness. For him one of the keys was getting a two piece pole that was approximately 34 inches when collapsed.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I am not super familiar with the JRB bridge poles. However if they are close enough to 36" I might have a solution. I've been working with Ruta Locura to develop a bridge hammock pole. It's in testing now and I'm guessing around 200lbs is reasonable at this point... but each bridge loads poles differently.

Shoot me an email if 36" is in the ballpark and maybe we can add you to the testing group.
    If not... perhaps I could advise you on getting a Carbon Fiber pole set built at the very least. We've had good luck sorting them out for ridgerunner users so I don't see why we couldn't get one going for the BMBH too.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I am not super familiar with the JRB bridge poles. However if they are close enough to 36" I might have a solution. I've been working with Ruta Locura to develop a bridge hammock pole. It's in testing now and I'm guessing around 200lbs is reasonable at this point... but each bridge loads poles differently.

Shoot me an email if 36" is in the ballpark and maybe we can add you to the testing group.
    If not... perhaps I could advise you on getting a Carbon Fiber pole set built at the very least. We've had good luck sorting them out for ridgerunner users so I don't see why we couldn't get one going for the BMBH too.
    Testing goes well so far. No issues at all. I used another CF pole at the head the first few nights, but use both poles now all the time. I’m around 200, and there is no flex, or spring to them when loaded at all. 200 is safe, these could definitely handle more. Holding up well. Hope to get some
    Pics up soon.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Bill the JRB supplied spreader bar consists of two poles that interlock and have a 3/8" grooved on both ends. The total length is 32", but the measurement between the (2) notched areas comes to 31.25". The ring that attaches the hammock to the V strap locks into the notch.

Not sure if I will have to change the hardware out on the hammock itself to adapt to a different type of connection point between the spreader / hiking pole and the hammock itself. DGrav said that Peter Pan used a 34" collapsed trekking pole. Be curious to see how that looked if there are any pictures around.

Shug - I tried to go to the link you supplied, but got a dead end when I accessed it.

Thanks all.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bill the JRB supplied spreader bar consists of two poles that interlock and have a 3/8" grooved on both ends. The total length is 32", but the measurement between the (2) notched areas comes to 31.25". The ring that attaches the hammock to the V strap locks into the notch.

Not sure if I will have to change the hardware out on the hammock itself to adapt to a different type of connection point between the spreader / hiking pole and the hammock itself. DGrav said that Peter Pan used a 34" collapsed trekking pole. Be curious to see how that looked if there are any pictures around.

Shug - I tried to go to the link you supplied, but got a dead end when I accessed it.

Thanks all.
    I searched “hiking pole spreader bars”.
    Maybe I will try again when I am at my computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge

Thanks all.
    Towns-end end bar.jpgjacks poles.jpg

The simple answer is no, you cannot plug and play my trekking poles.
    I would be cautious (unless you are light) installing any light trekking pole.

The better answer- starting at the rings- you would need to remove all the webbing and add amsteel dogbones of roughly 36" eye to eye. You could then direct attach a pole tip based system. (what warbonnet, me, and dutch use)

Because of the attached netting- it may not be a good idea to go much past a 33" pole. I could potentially get a custom adapter made for that length but I am just now testing my trekking poles so I'm not sure how they would preform in this application... you'd be looking at nearly $200 or so for a custom pair. The bigger issue is that the jacks bridge loads the poles differently from mine so there is some risk. Might be able to pursue it further if you want; but I hate to see you chop up the bridge as it looks like the webbing is sewn on. Then you have to drop money on poles all over so it would add up to an expensive experiment if it didn't pan out.

All that said- both Grizz and WV are much better pole nerds than me. There is a way to do it I'm sure. BUT... you should do it. As in learn, research, and figure it out since it's you pole and your butt on the line. Both have put up several posts on here about that topic.

What both of them excel at is taking poles they like and adapting them to the bridge. With the metal ring to work off of there are plenty of ways to do it.

What I'm doing is going a different route- designing a bridge pole first that functions as a trekking pole. I feel good about mine working as a bridge pole at this point. But now the issue is how they work as a trekking pole and if that use beats them up enough to cause concern when you head for bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZDwje-NcdY

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...-pole-tip-set/

Besides a Trekker FX pole from mountainsmith (heavy) you can get these tips too.

You'd still need to put a dogbone suspension onto the BMBH to slip pole tips into... but other than a dowel rod inserted into your trekking pole the rest of the 'adaptor pieces' would be found if this fits your pole.
    This is the basic 'mod';
    1-you put a tip adapter on of some sort.
    2-you pull the lower shaft out of the pole and fit a dowel rod inside the upper shaft
    3-then trim to fit to get the desired pole length.

Sounds like it's possible Peter Pan might have slipped a section of tent pole over two upper sections to form his poles.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I may just shift the spreader bars from my pack to the trekking pose by lashing them on via two small bungee's. The total weight of the spreader bars are 8 oz. Divide this up by two and you add 4 ounces to each trekking pole. In essence, reallocating the weight some by moving them from my pack to the trekking pole. The bungees work, but the risk is that a slip on the trail could inadvertently damage the spreader bars. But that is the case if we are depending on trekking poles for spreader bars anyway - the potential for damage to your trekking pole could affect your ability to use them for the hammock. In reality, taking 8 ounces from the backpack and moving them to the trekking pole. I am sure there is some added fatigue to the swing of the trekking pole after a long day, but is the trade off worth getting the weight off the shoulders and hip? I am also experimenting with taking two of my water bottles and shifting them to the front of my pack via shock cord on my shoulder straps. Just a matter of redistribution to create comfort.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast