Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tarp Pull-out line length

Got a question, I ordered some of the grip clips from JRB to put on my tarp for side pull outs, what is the approx length of cord you guys/galls are using? I have some utility line from AHE that I ordered for this (as well as other things) but I am unsure as the length needed for the tie outs? Thanks for your help!!!!

Cranky Bear

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use around 10' .... like to be able to go over a hiking pole or way over to a tree.........
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I use around 10' .... like to be able to go over a hiking pole or way over to a tree.........
    Shug
    Shug,
    You use 10' per tie out? I tried looking under a search but found nuttin, I ordered the grip clips and I am pondering back and forth about how to rig it, one line on each or bring both together in like a "Y" shape and at the point where they meet would be the spot where my hiking pole would be, but I am confused on the length part as I have seen just guessin from pics that others have posted that some use 12ft per side which seemed to be an awful lot? Thanks for the reply Shug!

Cranky Bear

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Shug,
    You use 10' per tie out? I tried looking under a search but found nuttin, I ordered the grip clips and I am pondering back and forth about how to rig it, one line on each or bring both together in like a "Y" shape and at the point where they meet would be the spot where my hiking pole would be, but I am confused on the length part as I have seen just guessin from pics that others have posted that some use 12ft per side which seemed to be an awful lot? Thanks for the reply Shug!

Cranky Bear
    It does take more than you think ...... I sometimes do the "Y" but that does not always afford the pitch I require at a given site.
    Line is light.
    12" is not much off of the mark. Especially if you want to go over a pole or stick.
    I use shock cord a lot. You'll see it in detail on my next tarp video ... which
    I am working on a bit now!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It does take more than you think ...... I sometimes do the "Y" but that does not always afford the pitch I require at a given site.
    Line is light.
    12" is not much off of the mark. Especially if you want to go over a pole or stick.
    I use shock cord a lot. You'll see it in detail on my next tarp video ... which
    I am working on a bit now!
    Thanks Shug,
    I kept seeing on not just your vids but alot of pics posted by others having the side tie outs on their tarps and the clips were the easiest fix for me as I don't sew (no machine either) to get the most out of my tarp, but the line length was a little puzzling. Appreciate the help!!!!

Cranky Bear

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I don't think it's possible to have too much line for this, unless you're going to use hiking poles and the same setup every time. I recently tied off to a tree that was maybe 20 feet away...20' out, around the tree, 20' back in, and then some for a trucker's hitch...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I don't think it's possible to have too much line for this, unless you're going to use hiking poles and the same setup every time. I recently tied off to a tree that was maybe 20 feet away...20' out, around the tree, 20' back in, and then some for a trucker's hitch...
    OG,
    So you use 20' per tie out? Or 40' per? Thanks for the post, its givn me some more to think about!

Cranky Bear

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    OG,
    So you use 20' per tie out? Or 40' per? Thanks for the post, its givn me some more to think about!

Cranky Bear
    On that particular site, I used 40, but it could just as easily have been 2 20s.

I had a spool of mason twine...one of the luxuries of car camping.

In general, if you can rig your lines so they tend upward (right angles to the tarp), they'll do their jobs better.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The beauty of braided mason line is that you can carry long lengths with almost no weight or cost penalty. Downside is knots can be hard to undo but I consider the stuff to be a consumable and just cut way the problems and install new line.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Good point on the knots. I generally use a trucker's hitch and slippery 1/2 hitches.

For $12 for 250', the cheap Home Depot braided mason line works well - I see your point about it being a cheap consumable. It also flouresces under white LED light...

... Just for giggles, I spliced and made a whoopee sling... It works, but it takes reading glasses to pull it off, and adjusting it with cold fingers would be a challenge... How would I secure the eye with a stich? that's the real problem...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast