Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

Introducing 0.56 oz MEMBRANE 7 Ripstop Nylon

Hi! So I think I should start with a statement. If you're NOT into ultralight fabrics, I would quit reading right now. On the other hand, if you're a rabid gram hunting fiend that will stop at nothing to make your rig lighter, we suggest clicking on the link below...

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...-ripstop-nylon

Over the years many people have asked if we could make something even lighter than our MEMBRANE 10 taffeta line, and today we're very proud to deliver! Introducing MEMBRANE 7 ripstop nylon...

M7 ripstop nylon.jpeg

In short, we've taken the buttery soft feel of M10, added a ripstop grid, and reduced the weight by a full 0.1 oz. What does a fabric that light mean to you? Well depending on the item, quite a lot. For larger gear such as underquilts or top quilts, as much as a full ounce compared to our 0.66 oz M10 taffeta.

Now you might look at the price of $18.95 /yd and say not for me - and that's fine. But just know that M7 carries that price tag for a very good reason. It's the lightest fabric on the market for your top quilt or bottom quilt - period. And that doesn't come cheap. If you're car camping, maybe it's better to go with something else.

But if you're serious about shaving grams off your rig, it's our mission to give you new fabric options to do just that.

membran_7_black_600x.jpg

membrane_7_steel_blue_d862cda4-9809-4023-a037-c68b0e2af317_600x.jpg

membrane_7_mantis_green_df52f1d9-4220-4289-b120-9b324357aa3b_600x.jpg

We're starting with three colors - Black, Steel Blue, and Mantis Green. We've sold a good bit of our initial stock to vendors who will likely be announcing the M7 as their lightest possible fabric option very soon. That being said, our yardage is limited in this first run. We're already making more, but it takes a VERY long time to weave fabric this light.

Point is, we want to give you fair warning that once we sell out, there could be a gap where we don't have any. If you know you want it, now's the time.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...-ripstop-nylon

As always, THANK YOU for your support of what we do. Yours in fabric...
    Last edited by ripstopbytheroll; 09-20-2018 at 17:25.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Always out there on the cutting edge!
    Maybe not for everyone, but it's fun to push the envelop!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Interesting fabric.

Let me ask you this: When discussing fabrics with Paul from Underground Quilts to compare M10 vs. the Argon 67, he mentioned that ripstop type doesn't help much at those weights because they are so delicate.

This was his reply:

"We do not plan on offering any fabrics from Dutchware at this time. We developed M10 in conjunction with RBTR and have a significant investment into it's success. Once you go sub-1oz ripstop patterns are purely aesthetic and on a .67oz fabric the thread count has more to do with fabric durability than a ripstop. The fabrics' first job is the hold down, a plain weave taffeta (M10) will always perform better in this aspect than a similar denier rip stopped fabric."

(Paul if you're reading this and want me to retract it for any reason let me know)

Are there any kind of tests that show how much ripstop weaves actually help fabrics that are this lightweight vs. non-ripstop options like the M10?

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Agree with Paul on quilts.

There are a few things (windshell, pack, etc) where the ripstop grid maybe better.
    I'm not sure it hurts, nor am I positive I'm excited about this just yet either to be honest.

It might even have been as simple as they needed the ripstop to help carry the fabric while it was woven. My limited understanding is that making stuff this light is like trying to roll wet toilet paper.

What I want to know is if Kyle has made a hammock out of it.
    I know some think that maybe a joke... but I'm the jerk who makes M10 hammocks... so no it's not a joke.

Carter may be complaining he bulked up- but Kyle looks to still be skinny enough to go first.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by nquinn View Post
    Interesting fabric.

Let me ask you this: When discussing fabrics with Paul from Underground Quilts to compare M10 vs. the Argon 67, he mentioned that ripstop type doesn't help much at those weights because they are so delicate.

This was his reply:

"We do not plan on offering any fabrics from Dutchware at this time. We developed M10 in conjunction with RBTR and have a significant investment into it's success. Once you go sub-1oz ripstop patterns are purely aesthetic and on a .67oz fabric the thread count has more to do with fabric durability than a ripstop. The fabrics' first job is the hold down, a plain weave taffeta (M10) will always perform better in this aspect than a similar denier rip stopped fabric."

(Paul if you're reading this and want me to retract it for any reason let me know)

Are there any kind of tests that show how much ripstop weaves actually help fabrics that are this lightweight vs. non-ripstop options like the M10?
    I don't have any specific data to prove it, but I would tend to agree that a ripstop grid isn't making a big difference (if any difference) in actual durability for ultralight fabrics. That being said, people think it does and perception is a powerful thing.

On the topic of downproofness, it is a fact that all else being equal, a taffeta is more downproof than a ripstop. The ripstop threads are a little bigger than the rest of the weave and this creates spots for down to peek through. Not a huge deal or anything like that, but just something to keep in mind. It's certainly possible to make a very downproof, ultralight ripstop fabric.
    - Kyle

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Agree with Paul on quilts.

There are a few things (windshell, pack, etc) where the ripstop grid maybe better.
    I'm not sure it hurts, nor am I positive I'm excited about this just yet either to be honest.

It might even have been as simple as they needed the ripstop to help carry the fabric while it was woven. My limited understanding is that making stuff this light is like trying to roll wet toilet paper.

What I want to know is if Kyle has made a hammock out of it.
    I know some think that maybe a joke... but I'm the jerk who makes M10 hammocks... so no it's not a joke.

Carter may be complaining he bulked up- but Kyle looks to still be skinny enough to go first.
    So I'm the sacrificial lamb? LOL. It's true I have been trimming up lately. Yet still.... I'm putting something soft underneath for that test.
    - Kyle

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    So I'm the sacrificial lamb? LOL. It's true I have been trimming up lately. Yet still.... I'm putting something soft underneath for that test.
    Running a small business is sometimes a heavy burden.

What I do when I test crazy crap- I hang the hammock just low enough that I'm sitting on the ground. Then I lay down and push a bit to spread my weight and rise off. If that works with no explosion, then I raise the hammock a bit at a time until I'm a few inches clear before I sleep in it.

That and even Beyonce agrees I'm bootylicious. You probably want to use something soft underneath.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    That and even Beyonce agrees I'm bootylicious.
    Disturbing... Yet intriguing... You know Beyonce????
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Disturbing... Yet intriguing... You know Beyonce????
    Absolutely.
    I inspired that song... you can read about it in my book.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Cool, so now I can begin my FKT of the CDT with my new 10 foot Membrane 7 hammock with Dynaglide suspension and a Cuben asym!

• + New Posts