View Poll Results: How do you feel about going solo?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never tried it...

24 12.97%
  • Tried it but it's not for me..

6 3.24%
  • I am solo about 50% of the time or more..

71 38.38%
  • I am solo almost all the time..

84 45.41%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Loved it. Lately my hips have given out, owing to severe arthritis. Until I get an operation, no solo camping for me. Looking forward to it again, tho!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Solo...? Thats now the only way I get out to hike and camp. Helped with group hangs in Florida many years ago. Its what got me into Hammock camping. Then fairly quickly discovered I enjoy the Solo hanging and camping much more.
    Moved to the mountains now, never looked back. Solo is incredible once you & your gear are dialed into your preferences.

-Islander
    Mark!!! It's great to hear from you Buddy! Glad you like the mountains. I'm building in the Whites up in NH and doing lots of solo backpacking, but keeping a schedule for area group hangs too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    For hanging I've actually only done solo trips, usually to a particular lake out in the Cascades wilderness. Otherwise I'm with my girlfriend and/or kids in a tent. Sometimes I just need a day or two in the forest, and since I often have weekdays free it's solo or nothing.

Here in the PacNW I've struggled to find single hanging sites that aren't loaded with widow makers, let alone multiple hanging spots for a group. I wouldn't move for anything but man it seems easier to be back east/Midwest for hanging, especially with a group.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    I find solo to be very calming and centering. It’s nice to just surround yourself with the peace and quiet of the woods.

On the flip side however hiking with a group and everyone at their own pace gives me both. I am alone most of the day while hiking and then everyone gets back together at the next camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Elderado
    Insulation
    Wookie Underquit
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I think solo is much more relaxing, I don't have to stay on any schedule, if i decide that I do not want to stay at a designated camp and stealth hang i am able to do it, with greater ease.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I mostly solo, except for group hangs and deer camps. But I don't run across many solo hikers on the trail. Almost every campsite I come upon. even when there is one tent, usually always have multiple people.

I usually wait til nearly dusk, then pull off the trail a good piece, before setting up for the night. Setting up late also minimizes time spent in camp. Other solos probably do the same.

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 10' Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    Gorilla Fortress
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Incu
    Suspension
    Straps w rings
    Images
    I find enjoyment in being out in nature regardless. I do enjoy spending time with friends and family when they are available to go. Most times with group camping it seems to be car camping. When I have the need to wander through the wilderness with my needs on my back, I find it hard to schedule with others. I have done a few trips, sections of the AT, local parks and forests, sometimes with complete solitude sometimes seeing others.

Time spent alone outdoors does recharge my soul in a way I don't get when group camping. just me, inner dialogue, feeling the universe. I keep a pack at the ready for impromptu trips.

That being said. I been living with my fiance for 5+ years now. She says she did her time camping when with the girl scouts. She will day hike with me, but alas her days of roughing it are over. With arthritis in the family, and pushing 60, I feel an urgency to get it in while I can. I find it harder and harder to block out time for a weekend trip, even with every other Friday off. I keep maps on the wall at work (the AT, a few local, and not so local forests), always with a plan for the next trip.
    Lucky me, lucky mud. - Kurt Vonnegut.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I mostly solo, except for group hangs and deer camps. But I don't run across many solo hikers on the trail. Almost every campsite I come upon. even when there is one tent, usually always have multiple people.

I usually wait til nearly dusk, then pull off the trail a good piece, before setting up for the night. Setting up late also minimizes time spent in camp. Other solos probably do the same.

Rolloff
    Which brings up something that I really like about solo camping: stealth (dispersed) camping.

When you’re solo, just walk off the trail a bit and find a couple of good trees. Dispersed camping in a hammock is SO much easier and adheres to LNT principles much better than tent camping.

In a group, you’re almost forced to use established sites, and if you’re in a fairly populated area like the mid-Atlantic this can sometimes prove to be a contest with other groups.

I will throw in one minus for solo camping: camping with a group makes it possible to set up shuttles, which are especially helpful on thru trails.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG top and bottom
    Suspension
    Kevlar Whoopie
    I’m hiking with someone for the first time In October. I’m really hoping I enjoy it and don’t hate it. The different scenarios have been rolling through my head of “will he slow me down”.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Mark!!! It's great to hear from you Buddy! Glad you like the mountains. I'm building in the Whites up in NH and doing lots of solo backpacking, but keeping a schedule for area group hangs too.
    Love these Appalachian Mountains. Group Hangs or even camping with a handful of people is not for me. I carry in what I need, and finding quiet spots up here is no brainer easy.

-Islander

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast