View Poll Results: How do you feel about going solo?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never tried it...

24 12.97%
  • Tried it but it's not for me..

6 3.24%
  • I am solo about 50% of the time or more..

71 38.38%
  • I am solo almost all the time..

84 45.41%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Most of my outings have been with other people up until this past summer. I recently began backpacking and car camping solo since scheduling with the group was not working out. The initial thought of venturing out solo had me a bit anxious, but those feelings completely flipped a 180 once I got out there. Been loving every minute of my solo trips, and glad I decided to take the plunge. I'll still gladly hike with a group, but solo is perfectly fine for me. All good in the backwoods hood.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Is it still considered solo camping if your cat is with you?
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    DIY 10' Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    Gorilla Fortress
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Incu
    Suspension
    Straps w rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Is it still considered solo camping if your cat is with you?
    Absolutely. Cats are great for keeping critters out of your food, (they want it all for themselves).
    Lucky me, lucky mud. - Kurt Vonnegut.

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    All of my ham mocking has been while long distance section hiking on the AT and recently on the North Country Trail. Sometimes I spend the night at trail shelters with other hikers, and there I may hang or I may stay in the shelter if wx is particularly nasty.

Other times I'll hike till just before sunset, start looking for a good location, and set up for the night. Get up the next morning, eat breakfast while packing, and hit the trail. Some epic hangs that way ...
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Econ Top/Under
    Suspension
    Straps w/ Beetles
    I know this is an old thread, but I have really enjoyed and benefited from reading through it and the “Having The Mojo To Go Solo” thread that inspired it. I’m planning to do my first *real* solo this fall (I’m not counting my nights in the backyard or the state park campground). This will actually be a few days/nights alone on the trail. I’m really looking forward to it, but also a little nervous about it if I’m being honest. Don’t think you can really know how you’ll do on something like this until you do it. I feel like I’ll enjoy it, but only time will tell. Thinking about doing a couple of solo one-nighters before then. I have a spot I can go.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who contributed to both of these threads. I plan to go back and read through them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Solo overnighters can help for sure... Doesn't matter where you are. It's interesting how different even your backyard is when you sleeping out there. I am amazed at how much activity there is in my yard during the night.

Still, it takes a few nights in the woods to settle in to the sounds and the rhythm of where you are. If you keep a clean camp, hang your food bag, get things up off the ground... there isn't much to worry about. Words are cheap, I know. What you do hear in the woods is amplified. The 'tiny bears' as Andrew Skurka refers to squirrels, porcupines, mice, and other little creatures, sound like hundred pound carnivorous when scurrying around camp.

What has you feeling nervous?? Can you pinpoint it?

Only one night that I truly was scared. I was hanging with a friend after we did a short hike in. In the middle of the night I heard a loud TWAANG! It was the sound of one of my guy lines being plucked like a guitar string. You know that sound. I heard nothing following it. Dead silence. No shuffling, no twigs or leaves rustling, no breathing. Nothing. Never figured out what that was.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Solo trips are where you gain confidence in your abilities to handle whatever Mother Nature may throw at you.
    Amen, I did a 7000 mile solo bicycle trip in 2010, and although I did meet and ride with people that happened to be going in the same general direction that I was traveling in from time to time, it was a solo venture. For the 1st time in my adult life I found out that I liked me and that was an Epiphany, one of many on that trip. Since that time I have no problem hanging out in the woods by myself. I do enjoy group hangs but I always hike in by myself and set my own schedule for the most part. Being solo gives you the ultimate freedom to do what you want, when you want.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Econ Top/Under
    Suspension
    Straps w/ Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Solo overnighters can help for sure... Doesn't matter where you are. It's interesting how different even your backyard is when you sleeping out there. I am amazed at how much activity there is in my yard during the night.

Still, it takes a few nights in the woods to settle in to the sounds and the rhythm of where you are. If you keep a clean camp, hang your food bag, get things up off the ground... there isn't much to worry about. Words are cheap, I know. What you do hear in the woods is amplified. The 'tiny bears' as Andrew Skurka refers to squirrels, porcupines, mice, and other little creatures, sound like hundred pound carnivorous when scurrying around camp.

What has you feeling nervous?? Can you pinpoint it?

Only one night that I truly was scared. I was hanging with a friend after we did a short hike in. In the middle of the night I heard a loud TWAANG! It was the sound of one of my guy lines being plucked like a guitar string. You know that sound. I heard nothing following it. Dead silence. No shuffling, no twigs or leaves rustling, no breathing. Nothing. Never figured out what that was.
    MikekiM,

Thanks for your reply. I guess my nervousness is just about the normal stuff like bears, people up to no good, and Sasquatch of course

Like you said, I know there isn’t really much to worry about. But, you are right, that sentiment doesn’t mean much in the middle of the night when you can’t figure out what that noise is. Of course it’s almost always one of those tiny bears, but you know how an imagination can run wild. Just expecting that to be amplified when I’m out there all alone.

But, at the same time, I really want to start doing some multi-day solo trips for a variety of reasons. And I know you just have to get that first one out of the way.

Again, I really appreciate your comments and any other input you have. This has been one of my favorite reads on Hammock Forums.

Hammock
    EXP
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas XL
    I typically am a soloist. I have done several solo trips in my region. As others have said, the imagination can run wild and the first couple times were my most unnerving. I was in a hollow in late September and the coyotes were howling like crazy all around me. It also didnt help that I saw a couple bear scats on the trail so every little noise my mind was injecting the worst case scenarios. Everything turned out fine and I find with each additional solo trip I am becoming more comfortable in the surroundings.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Econ Top/Under
    Suspension
    Straps w/ Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Randonneur View Post
    Amen, I did a 7000 mile solo bicycle trip in 2010, and although I did meet and ride with people that happened to be going in the same general direction that I was traveling in from time to time, it was a solo venture. For the 1st time in my adult life I found out that I liked me and that was an Epiphany, one of many on that trip. Since that time I have no problem hanging out in the woods by myself. I do enjoy group hangs but I always hike in by myself and set my own schedule for the most part. Being solo gives you the ultimate freedom to do what you want, when you want.
    Yep... that freedom is part of the allure of solo trips. Also the freedom to make plans to go that aren’t dependent upon the schedules of other people.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast