Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Top and bottom insulation temp ratings... should they be the same, or can you mix and match?

I'm about 6' (+/- an inch, depending on how straight I'm standing), and I'm leaning heavily toward the Hammock Gear Econ. still torn between 3/4 & full length. With the 3/4, for less money and the same or less weight, I can get a 10 or even 0 degree UQ, but it sounds like I'd probably need to supplement it with something (pad or the like under my legs). Then again, I often have my feet hanging off the side or end of the bed at home, even in Winter, so maybe I wouldn't need much. I have a whole mess of Reflectix left from another project, so I could cut a piece of that to size.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    For cold weather stick with a full size UQ sized too you. Please do not compromise on warmth for the sake of a few $$ and ounces....as being cold is not fun. Do not rely on supplemental insulation. Always maintain a buffer ie 10*. And KNOW your gear so test test test so your very clear how your gear works in various temps and climatic situations.... again cold is not to be taken lightly when you have no bail out too point.
    Anything below 30* I'm packing my zero quilts...anything below 10f and I'm tossing in the 20* quilts as well. I will mix and match quilts based on what I want to achieve for warmth without getting too cold or too warm given the climate for the night or time frame

It is better to have a enjoyable experience vs dealing in misery that cold can bring
    So choose wisely, spend once, cry once and get out there and enjoy the cold....cause it is awesome.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    For cold weather stick with a full size UQ sized too you. Please do not compromise on warmth for the sake of a few $$ and ounces....as being cold is not fun. Do not rely on supplemental insulation. Always maintain a buffer ie 10*. And KNOW your gear so test test test so your very clear how your gear works in various temps and climatic situations.... again cold is not to be taken lightly when you have no bail out too point.
    Anything below 30* I'm packing my zero quilts...anything below 10f and I'm tossing in the 20* quilts as well. I will mix and match quilts based on what I want to achieve for warmth without getting too cold or too warm given the climate for the night or time frame.
    I'll give an amen to that!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    ratings are somewhat subjective
    ie, costco down throw is good for me down to 0.

you can definitely stack quilts with decent results, as long as you're willing to carry the weight/bulk

I'm totally with you in that I'd never invest in 0* quilts that I only need twice a year. I'll stack 30's and be fine np

there's other tho that will freeze to death, or at least be miserable as soon as they get 5* below the rating of their quilts

trial and error in the back yard really settles your own internal arguements tho
    I sleep cold and can comfortably use my 0* 3/4 u/q into the 40's or even higher. Still, that's weight and bulk that you may not necessarily need. I kind of wish I had gone the stacking route.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't take my 20* Phoenix UQ below 30* F. I've tried pads in the footbox, and my feet still get cold. I tried taking my 20* Phoenix UQ down to 13* F and nearly froze to death. Last time I took my Phoenix 20* and Burrow 20* out, the low was supposed to be 36* F, but it got down to 22* F. My feet were so cold - the only way I could warm them up was to stick my wool anorak in the footbox.
    Now that's interesting to me. I sleep cold and use a 0* (+ overfill) Hammock Gear Phoenix Econ 3/4 underquilt down into the teens, and my feet never got cold. That surprised me. I tried the pad underneath my feet thing but found I didn't need it. I just wear one pair of warm wool socks, and the top quilt foot box seems to take care of the rest. We'll see how it goes this winter.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I think that the underquilt is the more important of the two. It is adjustable so that you can increase ventilation when you need it. That allows me to go much lighter up top when called for. So, I have used my 0* 3/4 u/q even into the 60's, just varying what I use on top to match conditions. I have an AegisMax tapered rectangular 50* bag that I use as a top quilt down into the 50's and maybe even into the 40's as, contrary to experience, it seems to be conservatively rated. I like it a lot. Packs really small. Funny thing, though, is that when I tried to use it into the 70's, I found that the slick fabric, that felt so good when it was cold, was clammy against my skin, so had to go to a lightweight Thinsulate bag that had a softer finish.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    You gotta remember, the UQ is covering your bottom and sides, wrapping you up like a taco. All uncompressed too. The TQ is full-loft on top, but any tucked in underneath your body is providing very little insulation. Then you have your legs and feet pressing down/kicking the sides, etc. So yes, that UQ is very important.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    It's all dependent on how warm/cold of a sleeper you are. I mix and match all the time between my 20° TQ/UQ and Costco TQ/UQ. I'm not as concerned with using a lower-rated UQ in warmer temps. The TQ is where I have to be careful. I could use my 20° UQ pretty much year-round, and choose my TQ based on the outside temps. I've had my Costco TQ/UQ down to 39° and was still pretty warm. I've had my 20° TQ down to -13°F and was plenty warm while stacking two 20° UQs. With the way the UQ envelops my body, as long as the UQ is rated for the temps, I can typically be a little more lenient with my TQ.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I only own 3/4 length UQs, and have had no issues staying warm in any temp. However, I am also a very warm sleeper.
    Last edited by rweb82; 09-26-2018 at 09:35.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I have stacked zero and twenty underquilts in temperature of five degrees. I put 20 closest to hammock and 0 on outside, furthest from hammock. With zero rigged so it lifts empty hammock about a foot. The twenty will be compressed, and lose insulation value—not all, some. The zero is not compressed, allowing it to work best.
    HYOH YMMV and if all else fails—get out of hammock and sit close to fire ☕️

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    I generally sleep in fleece pants, jacket, and wool hat, maybe even adding a down jacket when it's cold.
    For that reason I can get by with a lighter top quilt.

It also makes getting up in the middle of the night much easier, I just slip on my shoes and I'm off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12