Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Top and bottom insulation temp ratings... should they be the same, or can you mix and match?

This is more of a "what do you use" kind of question. I'm sure it's best to match ratings (eg: 20 degree TQ with 20 degree UQ), but if you mix them, is it better to be warmer on top or on the bottom?

FWIW, I'll be hanging in temps down to probably 0-10 F a couple times this Winter, so looking to make my first purchase of "real" quilts. My DIY Tribe Provision Adventure Blanket UQ works well to about 50, so I'm thinking a HG Phoenix Econ 20 stacked with that may be good for the bottom. Then a Burrow Econ 10 or 20 for up top, maybe with a fleece liner inside? Truth is I'll be doing a lot more sleeping in the 30-60 degree range, so I don't want to sink a lot of money into quilts I'll only use a couple times a year.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    ratings are somewhat subjective
    ie, costco down throw is good for me down to 0.

you can definitely stack quilts with decent results, as long as you're willing to carry the weight/bulk

I'm totally with you in that I'd never invest in 0* quilts that I only need twice a year. I'll stack 30's and be fine np

there's other tho that will freeze to death, or at least be miserable as soon as they get 5* below the rating of their quilts

trial and error in the back yard really settles your own internal arguements tho

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You'll see folks who think it's okay to have a 20* TQ and 0* UQ, but their arguments aren't particularly persuasive to me. The manufacturer says their TQ is rated to 20* but some customer decides it's good to 0* F? Listen to that customer, if that's what you want to hear.

Personally, I always match ratings.

Your Tribe Provisions DIY Adventure Blanket does not look like much of a solution to staying warm. If an UQ is good down to 50* F, that doesn't tell me anything. I suspect no UQ at all would be good down to 50* F. So I wouldn't count on that boosting your warmth much.

I don't take my 20* Phoenix UQ below 30* F. I've tried pads in the footbox, and my feet still get cold. I tried taking my 20* Phoenix UQ down to 13* F and nearly froze to death. Last time I took my Phoenix 20* and Burrow 20* out, the low was supposed to be 36* F, but it got down to 22* F. My feet were so cold - the only way I could warm them up was to stick my wool anorak in the footbox.

However, the wool anorak is not a hiking item - strictly car camping. So if you're car camping, maybe you can supplement a 20* Phoenix Econ, but if you're hiking, get a qult rated for the appropriate temps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I can always give up a little more on the top. The UQ is wrapping up around the sides of your body to begin with. So you're already ahead of the game except for the very top of your body. And while I don't plan on doing it, you can always put a down jacket inside the TQ if you have it anyway.

My 30° UQ and 40° TQ is very practical in many situations.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    My underquilt is 0° and my topquilt is 25°; a little overkill for my area but I hate being cold, and I have used them to 15° (coldest night).

My reasoning was that I could supplement my topquilt much easier than my underquilt for seasonal changes. Also, I find that venting the underquilt is easier to get that perfect temperature regulation when it's warmer.

I rely heavily on supplemental insulation when needed for the top, longjohns and jackets, instead of having multiple topquilts that are rated differently.

I am under no delusions that my topquilt will get me to 0° without supplemental insulation; it was more of a "What can I buy that will work in the most seasons and not have to but additional quilts"?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I typically use an underquilt rated for lower temperatures, and change up the top quilt/top blanket as needed based on the expected weather. Unless it's extreme differences between ratings and temperature, I treat it like sleeping in my bed at home. I'm on the same mattress every night, but if it's warm or cold, I'll swap out what's on top to adjust, not what's below.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the replies. Now I need to decide on full length vs. 3/4. I'm mostly car camping at this point, but would like to do more backpacking in the future, so thinking the 3/4 would be better weight-wise. Can always supplement with some reflectix inside the footbox, too.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Top and bottom insulation temp ratings... should they be the same, or can you mix and match?

Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Now I need to decide on full length vs. 3/4. I'm mostly car camping at this point, but would like to do more backpacking in the future, so thinking the 3/4 would be better weight-wise. Can always supplement with some reflectix inside the footbox, too.
    Check out Cedar Ridge Outdoors (CRO). They have a nice lineup for custom quilts. They apparently do a default overstuff for their ratings, meaning you *might* be able go lower than posted rating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I hiked the AT I started with a pair of 20s, then switched to a pair of 40s when it got real warm. Sometimes too warm. Sometimes I’d just use the UQ (which is the more important one)

When it started getting cold and wet up in Vermont I had my 20 UQ shipped back to me with my thermal and it ended up being perfect for the remainder of the hike.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Full vs ¾ may depend on your size. I am height challenged - it's a feature, not a bug - so a ¾ size is almost full size for me. I've found it's a bit uncomfortable if the TQ is too warm. But a warmer UQ is not a problem; it is just a little bulkier and slightly heavier. For me, the temperature ratings are about 10 degrees too high. So if I'm using a 40 degree TQ and that night time temperatures are 43 degrees, I know it. I'm sure I'd be fine if I battened down the hatches (lower tent sides, cinched the TQ around my shoulders, etc.), but I have to pay more attention.

I think a 20 degree UQ would serve you though most of the year's months - but not in the dead of winter; at least not without help - full sock, and warm sleeping clothes (balaclava, etc.).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast