Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Indoor sleeping setup with stand, 11 feet span to work with?

I didn't have success last time I tried sleeping in a hammock indoors, back then I bought the Vivere hammock and stand https://smile.amazon.com/Vivere-Doub...dp/B004YJCP7O/ It was great when I took it out to the yard to read, but horrible to sleep in. One problem was bottoming out and hitting the bottom bar, or waking up resting on it. I tried various adjustments to try not to hit the bar but they didn't feel right, and I did sleep at an angle, somehow though I couldn't lay flat enough. I'm 5' 8" and about 160lbs, though some people taller and shorter found it comfortable I did not. So I wound up getting a bed.

I've recently moved and got rid of the bed before the move. Right now I'm sleeping on a mat and foam topper on the floor, which is actually much more comfortable than my bed, the issue is recently discovered the building is infested with roaches so I would feel more comfortable being suspended off the floor. I originally liked the idea of a hammock indoors, the pros are no lumpy mattress, no dustmites and hopefully fewer bedbug concerns, it's easier to break down and move, and it sounds like a healthier way to sleep. Sleeping on the floor, minus bug concerns, I do have to make sure I regularly air out underneath the mat and topper to prevent mold, and expose it to sun, dustmites etc can be an issue since foam can't be washed. With a hammock I won't have to worry about that. The few months I had the hammock all I needed to to was wash the hammock periodically and my topsheet/comforter (and occasionally the quilt I attached underneath with binder clips).

I've been looking at the diy pipe stand vs the space I have. The pipe stand is 6 feet tall, which is great because I can walk and stand under it without hitting my head and there's no bar to trip over should I unclip the hammock to allow walk through. The issue is that it's 12 feet wide and I have a max of 11 feet to work with.

I'm kinda not sure how to approach this, according to the hammock hang calculator if I have 11 feet of room, with an 11 foot hammock (I don't have a hammock yet, but this seems to be the typical length?), I need to hang it about 56" (4 feet 8 inches) off the floor. I'm not sure if you can hang an 11 foot hammock in this space, but that's what it calculated. This won't be at the elbows of the pipe stand and shortening the stand means I will hit my head on it. If I go with a regular floor stand I think they're usually about 43" high?

Has someone gotten an indoor stand to work in a small space? I absolutely cannot drill holes in the wall, it's a rental in an old building (I think the walls may be plaster, I haven't tried to hang anything on the walls, they don't allow it).
    Last edited by pothos; 09-24-2018 at 01:47.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Well an 11 foot hammock really should have a ridge line that maxes out its distance at about 110”. A diy turtle dog stand uses a 10.5 pole but the tripods would need more than 6” to work with.

You could try this with a 10 foot or possibly 10.5 foot hammock: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lapsible+stand.

Just use 1 top rail for a 10.5’ distance.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    The Spurtle Stand is another good alternative. There's also Spurtle Stand 2.0. Although, 11' is tight, as there will be a little sway (lengthwise), so I'd suggest some kind of protection on the uprights so that the walls don't get damaged. Is the 11' the max. length of a wall, or is it 11' on the diagonal?
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by pothos View Post
    I didn't have success last time I tried sleeping in a hammock indoors, back then I bought the Vivere hammock and stand https://smile.amazon.com/Vivere-Doub...dp/B004YJCP7O/ It was great when I took it out to the yard to read, but horrible to sleep in. One problem was bottoming out and hitting the bottom bar

Has someone gotten an indoor stand to work in a small space? I absolutely cannot drill holes in the wall, it's a rental in an old building (I think the walls may be plaster, I haven't tried to hang anything on the walls, they don't allow it).
    with 11 feet, you're tied to a short stand. just the math

I've got the identical hammock stand to you, I'm 5'8 and 230ish, and I'm no where near bottoming out on it. I use the 2nd from the top holes for the hooks

I've found that I can nap awesomely in it, but sleeping overnight it's too short

that being said, I've not tried overnighting after re-discovering the inflated sack behind the knees trick that Lev has reintroduced to everyone. it's definitely more comfortable and worth revisiting'

but if you're hitting the bottom bar (especially at your height and weight) you just don't have the hammock setup on it properly

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I have a sleeping porch that is just big enough for my hammock (long and wide) with no structure in the center of the short sides. I ended up cutting a ridge pole from bamboo that was about an inch shorter than the room is long. I made some A shaped stands for both ends of the pole to hang from. Then I padded both ends of the pole where it hits the wall. I liked hanging my pole from the A stands because then I could raise or lower it based on the hammock I am using. The ridge pole has a little movement, but the padding protects the wall.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetkayaker View Post
    I have a sleeping porch that is just big enough for my hammock (long and wide) with no structure in the center of the short sides. I ended up cutting a ridge pole from bamboo that was about an inch shorter than the room is long. I made some A shaped stands for both ends of the pole to hang from. Then I padded both ends of the pole where it hits the wall. I liked hanging my pole from the A stands because then I could raise or lower it based on the hammock I am using. The ridge pole has a little movement, but the padding protects the wall.
    How did you make the A stands and how tall are they? Do you ever hit your head on the ridge pole?

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    Well an 11 foot hammock really should have a ridge line that maxes out its distance at about 110”. A diy turtle dog stand uses a 10.5 pole but the tripods would need more than 6” to work with.
    Is the ridgeline essentially the distance between the gathered ends? I'm kinda confused, isn't 110 inches about 9 feet 2 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    You could try this with a 10 foot or possibly 10.5 foot hammock: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lapsible+stand.

Just use 1 top rail for a 10.5’ distance.
    I actually only have 4 feet of width to work with, and the feet splay 55" so I might not be able to use this.

Quote Originally Posted by cap624 View Post
    The Spurtle Stand is another good alternative. There's also Spurtle Stand 2.0. Although, 11' is tight, as there will be a little sway (lengthwise), so I'd suggest some kind of protection on the uprights so that the walls don't get damaged. Is the 11' the max. length of a wall, or is it 11' on the diagonal?
    Thanks for the tip about protecting the walls!

I think the room from bottom molding to molding is about 11' 3" . I can't put it diagonally because my partner won't have a space to sleep.

I read the posts, I am trying to understand how it's built, not done much diy.

Materials
    (3) Chain Link Fence Top Rail Home Depot 1 3/8 - https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD...3DPT/100322532
    (1) Husky Quick Release 2 1/8" tube cutter to cut the pipe https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2-...-111/303697704
    (2) 1 3/8 Flat Roof Side fittings I guess these are the top elbow things https://www.canopiesandtarps.com/fvf4cc.html
    (2) 1 3/8 Closed T Horizontal Pipe slides through http://tarps.com/fittings2.htm
    (1) 1 3/8 Tubing Splicer http://tarps.com/fittings2.htm (So I can cut the top rail into two 5' 3" sections)

Legs
    Would need to cut 2 10' 6" pipe into 6 foot high or maybe 58 inches, can cut two four foot sections out of it for the feet. I want to be able to walk under it without having to duck because I will forget and walk into it like a dummy, though at 58 inches I'll be 30 inches off the ground. That might not be awful?

Feet
    Two four foot sections of pipe
    Two Tee Fittings Tarps.com 1 3/8 Closed T Horizontal Pipe slides through - it sounds like you slide the pipe through this so there are about 24" on each side.

Top rail
    1 10' 6" pipe would the elbows extend it to 11'?

I'm not sure which hammock yet.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pothos View Post
    How did you make the A stands and how tall are they? Do you ever hit your head on the ridge pole?
    I used 4 bamboo poles (I couldn’t figure out how to lash two poles so I went with 4) I lashed them at the top like a turtledog stand. Then for added support I put a cross bar at the half way point. I drilled a small hole through all three bamboo pieces and glued in a pin (a bamboo skewer) then lashed it to hold temporarily while the glue dried. The bottom of the A is the width of the room so with the ridge pole constrained and the bottom constrained, the A can’t move. The ridge pole is 5 feet high and the stands about 7 feet. I hit my head every once in a while. I could raise the pole when the hammock is not on it, but I don’t use the room for anything else except my hammock and my gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    This is what I use...there are a half dozen like it in nightly use by friends, and I have one I travel with, and set up in hotel rooms. You can show this thread to any welding shop, and they can duplicate it in a couple of hours.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Hammock-Stand
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast