WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Appanoose View Post
    Have you looked at this system. Looks pretty simple to get together and would be a good pioneering-type project for the Scouts!
    http://theultimatehang.com/2013/04/0...hammock-stand/
    Back from the weekend campout.

2"x3" studs were certainly hearty enought.
    5 mm polyester accessory cord was perfect size and weight to work with.
    I tried to get by with 3/8 x 12" spikes doubled up then backed up. FAIL! First failure took about an hour before the primary spikes pulled out. Thankfully the back-ups held. The second failure happend almost imeadiately.

Using the 3' rebar would have provided the perfect anchor but, I really am resistant to using that. Other than rebar, I was faithful to the above design. Longer ropes tying the tops of the posts back would reduce the upward force on the spikes. I am planning to rework the angles and try again.

I'll keep you posted
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Depends how portable. Multiples of single-hammock portable stands can work, a single pole with 2 strong ground anchors (per side) being the simplest. If you have only one strong tree, many can hang off it daisy style this way.

A tensahedron's 4 poles can add 3 more to hold 2 hammocks. Using the commercial Tensa4's poles, that's under 20lbs and packs tiny. Adding only 2 more (9 total) can hold 3, with a hexagonal perimeter and Y junction in the middle, requiring only 3 guylines. We refer to these exotics as Tensa7 and Tensa9, which may or may not become product offerings pending more testing.
    I have avoided looking at or reading about hammock stands for as long as I have been hammocking. I never imagined I would ever find one I'd be willing to drag out to a site. So, despite a year long development thread, I knew nothing about your stand until this week. It looks like a perfect solution to have available for trips where I am not in control of where I camp.

This will be my Christmas present to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Using the 3' rebar would have provided the perfect anchor but, I really am resistant to using that. Other than rebar, I was faithful to the above design. Longer ropes tying the tops of the posts back would reduce the upward force on the spikes. I am planning to rework the angles and try again.

I'll keep you posted
    How about Orange screws as used with the Tensahedron?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I have had good staking with those big orange stakes.
    Just get them all the way in the ground or if you can't at least tie your tether off on the stake where it meets the ground.
    https://youtu.be/6PlOp6NPOuA
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Honestly, the compact size, light weight and ease of set up of the Tensahedron seem an unbeatable combination. While it would be for a single hanger (me) rather than a trio, the Tensahedron is too attractive to continue to pursue the alternatives.

Honestly, the compact size, light weight and ease of set up of the Tensahedron seem an unbeatable combination. While it would be for a single hanger (me) rather than a trio, the Tensahedron is too attractive to continue to pursue the alternatives.
    As was mentioned earlier, pioneering poles are more than good enough for the scouts, and it will give them a project as well. And if you have a "pro" model, they can see exactly what they are aiming to reproduce, and you can spend your time helping them after you throw yours up very quickly. Seems like a win-win!

That's great for you alone. What about the youth? Tensahedrons seem like a huge investment to get a number of Scouts hanging as compared to Derek's setup...

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Have you made or seen a portable multi-hammock stand?

That's great for you alone. What about the youth? Tensahedrons seem like a huge investment to get a number of Scouts hanging as compared to Derek's setup...
    Not to split hairs, but I coined tensahedron to describe that arrangement of poles and lines, while Tensa makes the commercial version. A tensahedron can be built from new materials at scarcely over $20. It’s only when you go for light weight and sub-20” packing, as the Tensa4 does, that the cost climbs out of reach of many. Replace the 3 2x6s of Derek’s design with 9 2x2s and I think you can hang as many hammocks at similar cost and ease of transport, but with much less strong ground anchoring required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Latherdome; 09-29-2018 at 06:17.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Not to split hairs, but I coined tensahedron to describe that arrangement of poles and lines, while Tensa makes the commercial version. A tensahedron can be built from new materials at scarcely over $20. It’s only when you go for light weight and sub-20” packing, as the Tensa4 does, that the cost climbs out of reach of many. Replace the 3 2x6s of Derek’s design with 9 2x2s and I think you can hang as many hammocks at similar cost and ease of transport, but with much less strong ground anchoring required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No argument and I love your products. The OP seemed to suggest the commercial product vs DIY and that gets expensive for Scouts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast