Images

Cedar Ridge Outdoors Stealth 50º top quilt first impressions

While looking for a lightweight warm weather top quilt to complement my Loco Libre Operator 50º Haberno UQ I came across the Cedar Ridge Stealth 50º quilt. These are stock quilts with the only options being the length and whether pad attachment straps are included. The quilt uses Argon 67 fabric with black outer and titanium gray inner, and is filled with 850 goose down.

My Stealth TQ shipped one week after placing the order for a regular length quilt without pad straps - within the 3-7 day time frame stated on the website. My understanding is that my order was placed while the CRO team was all hands on deck trying to finish up their newly launched website and under different circumstances my quilt may have shipped sooner. It arrived boxed and rolled in the included lightweight silnylon stuff sack.

The quilt construction appears well done - I have quilts from Arrow Head Equipment, Enlightened Equipment, and Loco Libre, and the Stealth fits in fine with the others. There are a couple of tags listing the company name, Made In the USA, quilt specs, and weight. I hadn't seen a weight tag on a quilt before and it's a nice touch. My regular length (76") quilt has a marked weight of 11.9oz (I measured 11.7oz on my scale), saving 8oz over carrying my EE Revelation 20º when the weather doesn't call for the warmer quilt.

The quilt lofts well and wrapping it around my shoulders I could quickly feel the warmth it trapped.

The footbox is a snap / drawcord closure - I prefer this construction in a warm weather quilt so I can open it up in warmer temps or close it for warmth when pushing the limits. The draw cords are pulled and locked from each end of the quilt which is a bit more cumbersome than a single center positioned drawcord pull and lock.

Like most top quilts there is also a snap and drawcord around the neck/shoulders. As with the footbox and unlike my Revelation, which has the neck draw cord pulled from the center, the Stealth drawcords are pulled from the ends making it difficult to close up once under it - I needed to lift it up, snap it closed, tighten it then put it over my head like a shirt. It works but a center pull draw cord for the collar is much better.

Unlike the low profile pad strap attachments on my Revelation, the pad attachments on the Stealth are packhooks (see https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/pack-hook) and are relatively large/bulky - enough that I was concerned they might effect comfort so I removed them. Even when sleeping on the ground pad attachment is not something I need in a warm weather quilt.

I've spent one night in the quilt and as the low temp was only 58º, I haven't tested its 50º comfort rating. At that temperature I did not need to close up the foot box or snap/tighten the collar but used the quilt like a blanket and was plenty warm wearing shorts and a cotton t-shirt. Based on the fill and loft I expect it to be warm at the rated 50º temp and likely into the 40s when closed up and wearing baselayers.

Overall the Cedar Ridge Stealth quilt offers a great value in a lightweight but sufficiently warm quilt for warmer temperatures. Some refinements of the sleeping pad attachments and drawcord closures (moving to single point pull/lock) would improve it in use. I expect to spend many nights enjoying this quilt.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'll keep this on my radar. When Hammockgear discontinued their 50° I was bummed. I never thought I would need a 50°, but my 40° is proving to be too much more and more lately. Thanks global warming and T****.

Hammock
    12' CRO Lounger
    Tarp
    12' Hideaway Hex
    Insulation
    CRO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davidp View Post
    While looking for a lightweight warm weather top quilt to complement my Loco Libre Operator 50º Haberno UQ I came across the Cedar Ridge Stealth 50º quilt. These are stock quilts with the only options being the length and whether pad attachment straps are included. The quilt uses Argon 67 fabric with black outer and titanium gray inner, and is filled with 850 goose down.

My Stealth TQ shipped one week after placing the order for a regular length quilt without pad straps - within the 3-7 day time frame stated on the website. My understanding is that my order was placed while the CRO team was all hands on deck trying to finish up their newly launched website and under different circumstances my quilt may have shipped sooner. It arrived boxed and rolled in the included lightweight silnylon stuff sack.

The quilt construction appears well done - I have quilts from Arrow Head Equipment, Enlightened Equipment, and Loco Libre, and the Stealth fits in fine with the others. There are a couple of tags listing the company name, Made In the USA, quilt specs, and weight. I hadn't seen a weight tag on a quilt before and it's a nice touch. My regular length (76") quilt has a marked weight of 11.9oz (I measured 11.7oz on my scale), saving 8oz over carrying my EE Revelation 20º when the weather doesn't call for the warmer quilt.

The quilt lofts well and wrapping it around my shoulders I could quickly feel the warmth it trapped.

The footbox is a snap / drawcord closure - I prefer this construction in a warm weather quilt so I can open it up in warmer temps or close it for warmth when pushing the limits. The draw cords are pulled and locked from each end of the quilt which is a bit more cumbersome than a single center positioned drawcord pull and lock.

Like most top quilts there is also a snap and drawcord around the neck/shoulders. As with the footbox and unlike my Revelation, which has the neck draw cord pulled from the center, the Stealth drawcords are pulled from the ends making it difficult to close up once under it - I needed to lift it up, snap it closed, tighten it then put it over my head like a shirt. It works but a center pull draw cord for the collar is much better.

Unlike the low profile pad strap attachments on my Revelation, the pad attachments on the Stealth are packhooks (see https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/pack-hook) and are relatively large/bulky - enough that I was concerned they might effect comfort so I removed them. Even when sleeping on the ground pad attachment is not something I need in a warm weather quilt.

I've spent one night in the quilt and as the low temp was only 58º, I haven't tested its 50º comfort rating. At that temperature I did not need to close up the foot box or snap/tighten the collar but used the quilt like a blanket and was plenty warm wearing shorts and a cotton t-shirt. Based on the fill and loft I expect it to be warm at the rated 50º temp and likely into the 40s when closed up and wearing baselayers.

Overall the Cedar Ridge Stealth quilt offers a great value in a lightweight but sufficiently warm quilt for warmer temperatures. Some refinements of the sleeping pad attachments and drawcord closures (moving to single point pull/lock) would improve it in use. I expect to spend many nights enjoying this quilt.
    Thank you for your impression/review. We love to hear from our customers especially when we can improve.
    As far as the pack hook attachment, we previously used the flat clips like EE uses and we had issues with them keeping tension on the elastic strap and had many complaints about the issue. We switched to the pack hook soon after.
    We will look into placing a single center draw cord point in the footbox.
    The original quilt design had a center drawcord at the top but after a lot of prodding from customers we moved them to the sides, they didn't like the shock cord in their face.
    Thank you again for you thoughts.
    Happy Trails
    ~Warren (BigCRO)
    Sometimes nothing is a pretty cool hand.
    -Coolhand Luke-
    http://cedarridgegear.com/
    http://facebook.com/crocustom Give us a

Images
    Thanks for the reply, Warren. Knowing the product history and that some of the suggested "improvements" were things that were tried and moved away from is interesting.

Having the top drawcord in the center means you do have to deal with it in your face or keep it tucked under the quilt, but it allows for easily adjusting the fit without letting warm air out of the bag so to speak. That's a trade-off I'll make in cooler temps but for a warm weather quilt it's not a huge issue and with more use maybe I'll see a way to adjust the end locks without having to lift up the quilt.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD .9oz Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    LL Operator Series
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you for your review. I actually haven't heard of that company before. Always interested in lightweight summer gear!

• + New Posts