Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Double layer hammock effectiveness?

How effective is a double layer hammock at keeping a pad from moving during the night? Is the difference really noticeable?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd say it is a definite improvement. I only used a double layer for a short time (before moving to underquilts) but I think it was a massive improvement over struggling to keep the pad situated in a single layer.

The regret that I have is that I spent money on a double layer to enhance my pad experience, when pads are just not a long-term viable solution for insulation. I always had condensation with pads, but the lower the temps, the worse the condensation. My last night with a pad was at 22* F, and I was absolutely soaked in condensation and so was my son. And if you're dumb enough to "supplement" your insulation by layering up with down jackets, long johns, etc., you'll wake up with everything soaked in sweat and condensation. Not a great way to greet a 22* F morning! That was my last night with a pad before buying an underquilt.

Of course, there are pad aficionados who claim that they NEVER get condensation. I don't even see how that's possible, but to each their own.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Helps for sure once you set it right.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Helps for sure once you set it right.
    Shug

Thank you!

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Are you all sure you aint pissing in your sleep ? lol
    I quickly sewed up an UQ when I got my 1st HH hammock, I tried a sleeping bag and layers but was cold.
    I have 4-5 UQs for my various hammocks, I bought a 2nd hand HH Jungle that came with a pad for between the layers. I made an UQ for it when I got it.
    On one trip I took 7 kids(teens) and I had to resort to the pad for me, No condensation,, but I was cold, a lot colder than the UQ.
    A pad is a temp or emergency thing,, till you can secure an UQ

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'd say it is a definite improvement. I only used a double layer for a short time (before moving to underquilts) but I think it was a massive improvement over struggling to keep the pad situated in a single layer.

The regret that I have is that I spent money on a double layer to enhance my pad experience, when pads are just not a long-term viable solution for insulation. I always had condensation with pads, but the lower the temps, the worse the condensation. My last night with a pad was at 22* F, and I was absolutely soaked in condensation and so was my son. And if you're dumb enough to "supplement" your insulation by layering up with down jackets, long johns, etc., you'll wake up with everything soaked in sweat and condensation. Not a great way to greet a 22* F morning! That was my last night with a pad before buying an underquilt.

Of course, there are pad aficionados who claim that they NEVER get condensation. I don't even see how that's possible, but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

I don't understand why a pad in a hammock would cause more condensation than a pad on the ground (i.e., in a tent) unless the hammock is buttoned up pretty tightly, e.g. with a top cover.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I don't understand why a pad in a hammock would cause more condensation than a pad on the ground (i.e., in a tent) unless the hammock is buttoned up pretty tightly, e.g. with a top cover.
    All that cold air flowing under a pad in a hammock. Convection, my friend. For your reading enjoyment:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...n-conversation

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d-condensation

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nsation-on-pad

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...k-Condensation
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    How effective is a double layer hammock at keeping a pad from moving during the night? Is the difference really noticeable?
    My 2 cents - IMHO They are very effective if you can corral them - If you have a means to slip the pad between the 2 layers it will help secure the pad better than just laying on top of it. Also if you have a way to insert the pad between the layers and there is a "channel" that is designed to be slightly larger than the pad - the pad will not go anywhere - You can also try to sew elastic bands on it - sew a band that goes from top left to top right and slip the band over the hammock - do this top and bottom and see if that will stop it from shifting so bad.

Best solution is to create the internal "channel" for the pad to go into if you can IMHO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Technically speaking, heat lost to wind is primarily conduction. Convection is air movement primarily driven by gravity, warmer air rising. That said, I get what you're getting at and don't want to start a physics debate.

I guess the pad can be cooled so much that the dew point is reached on the top surface. That and moisture is trapped between the skin and the impermeable pad.

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Hey Shug. Are you ex-Military? Love your videos.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast