Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I don’t think there is any specific “right way” except that your gear is covered and you’re rigged so the water will flow off the tarp rather than pool in specific spot. In a real blowy storm, I’d baton down down the hatches. But I seldom plan a trip with that impending bad weather. Sure, the weatherperson doesn’t aways get it right, but it’s not like a sneaker storm will appear. So usually I leave one corner in porch mode for easy access an to provide a drain route for rain. I don’t think it matters which end is high if you decide to angle the tarp line - but I’d prefer the run off not be by my head.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    For drip lines- how many do you do per ridgeline/ hammock strap? Do you do one per line? Or do you do several?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    For drip lines- how many do you do per ridgeline/ hammock strap? Do you do one per line? Or do you do several?
    One per and some other techniques will suffice.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    For my suspension I use Kevlar webbing and knots tied directly to the hammock continuous loops and find that the knots alone suffice as a water breaks.

As Shug demonstrates in his video, any sort of free end remaining from suspension webbing or whoopie Amsteel works just the same way so there's rarely the need for anything else.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Netless. DIY or Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    This summer we had a few real rains here (100+ mm during a night, 125+ years record). One of the nights like this I spent in a hammock under heavy rain and thunderstorm. What you see on the video lasted the entire night. A massive thunderstorm cloud just stopped for the night above the hill where I was hammock camping. By the next morning dozens of buildings and a highway nearby have been flooded. I was camping on higher altitude, so I was safe from flooding and dry under my Hammock Gear The Journey 11' tarp. But was able to sleep a couple of hours only later in the morning. It's not possible to sleep when there are dozens of lighting strikes nearby (including a couple in about 100 meters range). It was like a battleground. I knew rain and thunderstorm is coming, but no forecast predicted it's going to be what it was.

https://youtu.be/GuYIrqVbKlU
    When there is a rain like this nothing is going to be dry on the ground. There was a stream under my tarp (see the video). And I was almost on the top of the hill, but the streams like you see on the video where everywhere on the hill, a few meters one from another. Normally a stream like you see on the video exists only at the bottom of the hill (about 100 meters lower altitude). You can imagine what was going on at the bottom of the hill (that place looks differently now) with thousands streams like this merged.

My shoes where under hammock. When I realized there is a water everywhere they were completely wet (there was at least 5 cm of water everywhere on the ground including under the tarp. If I hang them over a ridgeline before the rain, I could keep them dry. At least until the morning, there were no dry places to walk in dry shoes anyway in the morning.

Tarp in a porch mode worked well (there were no strong wind), but small pool (a few liters) of water was collecting on the tarp anyway. I added one more stake later to keep a middle point of the tarp (between 2 trekking poles) lower, but it was later in the morning. Earlier I noticed that the tarp didn't collect more than a few liters of water so I left it as is.

The main my concern was the lightning storm. I deliberately selected smaller trees surrounded with higher tress (I knew some thunderstorm is coming), but it was The Thunderstorm. Well, nothing really scary happened, just a couple strikes in 100 meters range (but hundreds in a few km range). Anyway, I think a dry hammock is the safest place in the forest anyway (no one want to stay in a water stream when a lightning strikes nearby). And, probably, very wet (outside) trees shouldn't explode if directly striked (just my assumption). But I realise it was much less safer place than my home. Safer than a tent on the ground for sure.

What was really great - there were no strong wind (well, it's not a tropical cyclone, so strong wind usually means a cloud will move away faster, so it's either a rain like this during the entire night or windstorm).
    Last edited by AVatorL; 09-15-2021 at 14:50.

Kingdom of the Netherlands, Noord-Brabant
    Hammock
    DD Hammocks Superlight range
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    underblanket
    Suspension
    whoopie slings?
    that video is wild!

I recently found Shug's youtube channel and it has great content. The worst thing is for many hours I guarantee that nothing productive will get done around the house ...I can watch the videos for hours
    https://archzine.net/

Which tarp option do you guys think is the best balance for an ultralighter/backpacker to save weight (11' hammock), but also get reasonable coverage in 3-season conditions in the 20-70f range? Mostly want to protect enough against high winds+rain.

Anyone ever try using 2 tarps for 1 hammock?

Staying warm and dry matters far more now that I'm older. If it looks stupid and it works, then is it really that stupid? See attached image and let me know your thoughts.

Gold Armor 14.7 ft Black Rainfly Tarp ($42)
    4 TrailBuddy Trekking Poles - Set to 130 cm ($40 pair)
    Wise Owl "Standard" Black Tarp ($26)

I found that strong winds can pull out stakes from the larger tarps. An easy fix is to set double stakes for each corner of the 14.7ft tarp. Set the 1st stake at 45° angle towards the tarp and get all lines tight. Then lock that stake by pressing in another one sideways at 45° crossing in front of it. This creates an X and the inner stake locks the outer stake from moving. Using double stakes for the corners of both tarps has never failed me!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pcmedic; 04-05-2023 at 11:04.

Hammock
    Whatever I'm in :)
    Tarp
    Good ol mil poncho
    Suspension
    20'L 1.5''w straps
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmedic View Post
    ...If it looks stupid and it works, then is it really that stupid?
    No way man. If it's stupid and it works, it aint stupid. If i ever go camping in a tent i usually have a tarp over it as an additional layer because i dont fully trust it's "waterproofness". What are you using for the larger tarp?

edit: formatting

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast