Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Brrr...I do cold and I do rain...I do NOT do cold rain
    I think the same on my motorcycle days. One or the other is tolerable, but both just sucks. And yet, ….. some days Suck. Tales for the grandchildren stories.

I saw someone posted about using sticks to hold out the tarp at pooling points. Would it be a good idea to place your shoes over the stick to keep them dry and not risk a hole in the tarp? I only ask since I carry my crocs for camp and need to keep my boots dry.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp (3x3) mtr
    Insulation
    Sungpak UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Original & Kribs
    Great tips thank you.

I dig a channel around the edge of my tarp and lead it away down hill, this channels rain water away from my camp and keeps it diverted away.

The idea being it keeps the floor of my camp as dry as possible in the rain.

With tip 14, i've often used a cup or shoe on the end of a stick, to reduce the chance of the stick poking through my tarp

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan H View Post

I dig a channel around the edge of my tarp and lead it away down hill, this channels rain water away from my camp and keeps it diverted away.

I am concerned with digging channels. In a heavily used campsite, this is not sustainable, and would lead to erosion that could be come serious.

My personal preference is to minimize disturbance to the soil other than putting in stakes. I also try to minimize my trampling, especially in low-use sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Bennington.Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Straps/marlinspike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    I am concerned with digging channels. In a heavily used campsite, this is not sustainable, and would lead to erosion that could be come serious.

My personal preference is to minimize disturbance to the soil other than putting in stakes. I also try to minimize my trampling, especially in low-use sites.

Exactly this. Trenching is very old school. My dad it it upon returning from WWII.
    These days it has been relegated to history like zooming through stream crossings in a 4x4...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bennington.Camper View Post
    Exactly this. Trenching is very old school. My dad it it upon returning from WWII.
    These days it has been relegated to history like zooming through stream crossings in a 4x4...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Indeed. Please don't dig trenches to divert water.

The last time I did that was August, 1981 and I still feel bad about it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
    I think the same on my motorcycle days. One or the other is tolerable, but both just sucks. And yet, ….. some days Suck. Tales for the grandchildren stories.

I saw someone posted about using sticks to hold out the tarp at pooling points. Would it be a good idea to place your shoes over the stick to keep them dry and not risk a hole in the tarp? I only ask since I carry my crocs for camp and need to keep my boots dry.
    I was thinking of the same thing as I read through this. Some of those rain/hail/rain/wind days on the motorcycle just suck, but those are the stories that get told after the trip.

I was thinking in particular of a certain day I rode through Yellowstone NP a couple of years ago. Rain, then hail, then rain and hail, then wind, then more rain. I rode past a KOA on the way to my campground, turned back, and rented a cabin for the night with a heater and warm showers. I just could not think of getting the tarp and hammock setup that night, there was nothing left in me.

The twisty hammock straps tip is one I need to remember.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan H View Post
    Great tips thank you.

With tip 14, i've often used a cup or shoe on the end of a stick, to reduce the chance of the stick poking through my tarp
    I don't like to dig a channel for the reasons mentioned. Also it seems like work. What I do is scrounge fallen branches and place them around the tarp (or under the tape) to divert the water. It may not divert all the water but it gets most of the water and eliminates water puddling under the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Man, all this gully-washer talk. Glad I never had to camp in such sites. No fun. Pines>ferns and moss>grass>leaf litter>rock>anything else. I don't do state park-esque packed mud. Just can't do it.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    May be a silly question, but when pitching your tarp low, do you match the slope of your hammock ridgeline? I guess if doing that, way better to have head end on downhill side of camp.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    May be a silly question, but when pitching your tarp low, do you match the slope of your hammock ridgeline? I guess if doing that, way better to have head end on downhill side of camp.
    I always pitch the tarp right down to the hammock SRL. With any tarp — but especially with smaller tarps — this is key to maximum coverage. Although some folks like to be able to walk under the tarp without bending over, if there is rain with any kind of wind during the night then stuff will get wet. With the tarp pitched low, I've endured some pretty nasty storms with the simple, no-door HG DCF hex with few problems.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast