Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Great write up. One more thing worth considering anytime but more in the rain. Carry an extra length of line to use between the hang trees for you pack or whatever else you want to keep off the ground. Hanging off your tarp or hammock changes the way it hangs. Often not so big a deal when dry but can be a real issue in the rain.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    If it's a torrential rain I take some 1-2" tree branches and place them under the tarp right where the rain sheets down off the tarp and use this to angle the water around my footprint. Failing this, I take my tyvek sheet and create a small ridge at the up-hill side so the water doesn't just flow onto the sheet.

You can turn your shoes over if the ground will stay dry and you are worried about splashing getting inside them.

Also pitching the tarp so the sides of the tarp are touching the ground or close to it reduces the amount of splashing rain.

Also you can put leaves under the sides of the tarp to catch the rain so it doesn't bounce as much or as high.

I also bring a bigger towel for the heavy rains. Even though I'm under a dry tarp, I do have to step out to add additional water to the forest so it's nice to have something to dry my face and hands before I get back in the hammock. It's also useful to wipe up any overspray that may get on your hammock or TQ.

Also, when packing up wipe the mud off your stakes on the tree or with leaves. A final swipe with a towel gets them mostly dry.

After camping in the rain, when the sun comes out don't forget to dry everything off so the stuff you put away wet or damp gets a chance to dry off.

Hanging as close to 2 trees as possible provides additional protection from the rain/wind as the trees will act as barriers.

If the rain isn't a torrential downpour and if it's mostly straight down, it can be very pleasant to set up your tarp in porch mode. I've been kept dry with a 6" overhang at the head and foot ends because the rain was coming straight down with little wind.

Check your ridgeline for waterproofness before you get caught in a downpour. If there are leaks they are easy to fix when the weather is dry. I also use Permatex Flowable silicone since it's ready to apply and you really only need a light coat.

Being able to separate your hammock suspension from the hammock makes it possible to pack the wet and dry parts separately.

Don't forget that the weather will generally drop in temperature due to a storm so you may need to bring warmer gear -- TQ, UQ, jacket, etc. A rain jacket will keep you mostly dry if you vent it properly but rain pants are much easier to overwhelm. Consider using a rain skirt. It provides protection from the rain and gives much better breathability and packs smaller without the need for multiple zippers. If you are wearing trail runners in the rain your feet will get wet so switch to dry socks when you get in the hammock.

You've provided an excellent list of things to consider. These were just some additional items I've found helpful in my wet adventures.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Great write up. One more thing worth considering anytime but more in the rain. Carry an extra length of line to use between the hang trees for you pack or whatever else you want to keep off the ground. Hanging off your tarp or hammock changes the way it hangs. Often not so big a deal when dry but can be a real issue in the rain.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    I’m wondering, why Hex tarps are recommended over non-Hex?

Edited to highlight question.
    Last edited by Slack Packhiker; 09-20-2018 at 10:38.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hex tarps remove a little bit of material from those areas that don’t really need it.

Not sure the weight difference is significant!

The next step is a hex tarp but with catenary cuts instead of straight. Removes even more material from unnecessary area. Some people find that they get a better setup with these.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Lots of great tips!

Just a few enhancements.

5) you can even use leverage from above. I once set up under some large pines in a downpour and I could tell a big difference even with an adequately sized tarp. Also something to think about is what kind of ground you are setting up on top of. If its hard and compacted I've found you get more slashing up from rain than if its loose. Also good to avoid areas that looked washed out to avoid stepping out of your hammock into a puddle the next day and to keep gear dry if you store it under your hammock with I usually do.

10) I'm assuming this tip is for CRL's?

11) I would never remember all my guylines if I tried this. I use shock cord to make homemade line tensioners similar to the ones described in the ultimate hang and they work great.

20) Oh how this it the tip you never want to get to. The worst is when your hammock drip line on either end fails. The next is when a corner of your tarp comes undone in the middle of the night and your standing in the mud shoeless with no flashlight chasing a whipping corner looking for a stake.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Good additional tips.

I agree with the comments that hanging over “soft” material like pine needles definitely helps absorb the splash compared to hard pack dirt.

And Two Speed - I agree it is a bummer getting up to fix a fly-away corner. But at least you get back to being cozy shortly after

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    A tarp has a large surface area... for my dry ridgeline walks I rig it so the falling rain, mist, fog or dew funnels its way into my S2S kitchen sink/ bowl/cup, saves me a trip down off the ridge looking for a soak to collect water.

On one side of the tarp...Two outside pullouts are tied higher while the middle is tied low with a collection device underneath.
    Last edited by ofuros; 09-19-2018 at 20:56.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    For those wondering, as I was, about the difference between hex and non-hex traps and weather protection, here’s a link:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ld-Wet-Weather
    Last edited by Slack Packhiker; 09-20-2018 at 10:41.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubatr
    Suspension
    Kevlar_mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    16) Twist tree straps - if you are using straps, make sure to put a few twists in the straps so water doesn't flow unimpeded down the strap to your hammock.
    Additionally, twisted flat straps will not hum or vibrate in the wind. I always gave the bimini straps a twist on the boat for this reason.
    Of course if there is enough wind to make 'em sing, you may have other worries!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast