Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

Japan: Yamanashi (9/15-16): Daibosatsurei - Kurodake - Takigo

The plan was to walk along the picturesque ridge in Yamanashi and take in the views. But like all best-laid plans...

First, I knew days before that it might rain and it did. Second, being a glutton of punishment, I decided at the last minute to tack on more miles. And oh, a bear.

I took the train to JR Kai-Yamamoto station where a bus waited to take a bunch of hikers up around the foothills of Mt. Daibosatsurei.

My original plan had me off the bus at the mid way point but I soon discovered everyone was heading to the final stop at Kaminitsukawa. Since I had left early and had plenty of time, I went along for the ride.

Forty minutes and 1000 yen (cash only) later, I arrived in front of Chobei lodge.

There’s parking available in front as well as over flow parking nearby.

I decided against going up Mt. Daibosatsurei as the clouds and rain would not make the effort worth it, so I took a gradual route up the ridge.

On the ridge at Mt. Daibosatsurei

There’s a lodge, restaurant(?) and a shop here. Hidden in the back is a rest area for hikers and restrooms.

Food, drinks and alcohol served here ... and commemorative pins!

I took a break from the pouring rain, aired my feet and had a snack before heading back out.

I hiked south all day in the rain but at least it wasn’t too cold.

Climbed and walked among the mist.

Highest point on my route

Up and down all day

Mt. Very Long Name

Kurodake

Shiroyanomaru

On a clear day, this route promises great views all around and wondered often of what I missed. But even out in the rain, I could not help but stop and take photos.

Nearing dusk, I headed towards a hut with water source nearby.

There was another hiker from Yokohama inside and we chatted a bit. I told him my plan was to head further south and look for a place to camp. He already had his sleeping bag out and was getting dinner ready.

Headed out one last time. Getting weary from the long day and constant rain, I did not notice an animal was walking on the same narrow path in the same direction and no more than 30 meters away. At first I thought I was staring at a deer’s butt, but immediately knew it was way too big. I gave a quick shout and it looked back. Yep, my first encounter with a bear. I gave another shout, way louder than the first, and it thankfully broke trail albeit slowly.

There was no way I was going to have a meal and sleep around an area with that bear. Without any afterthought, I headed back less than hour to the lodge. I was barely able to set up my hammock at the only place possible. I headed back into the dry and cozy confines of the hut, had my dinner and regaled my brief encounter with nature.

No photo of the bear, so this will have to do.

Day 2

The rain continued the next morning and it was a struggle to put on my wet clothes and especially socks. To make matters worse, the charging cable to my phone did not work and I was left with less than a 10% charge.

But as the rain stopped and offered some views, the phone came out and I snapped photos...

...after photos

...after more photos.

Stayed up on Mt. Okuratakamaru waiting for quite a while on this guy to show up...

Fuji!

Taking photos, snap, snap, snap and I was left with less than 5% battery. I turned off my phone and stashed it away.

I now relied on my paper map, compass and altimeter to guide my way. There were a couple of tricky places where I had to backtrack multiple times (and peaked at my phone’s GPS once). A 30min section turned into an hour but I finally made my way to the last peak and a tiring scramble up Mt. Takigo (I know there must have been a switch back I missed).

Before I made my way down to JR Hatsukari station, there was one last section where I crossed a beautiful river multiple times and wished I could power on my phone...

Finally nearing the station, I came across a “convenience” store and purchased a charging cable for ¥1600 and a late lunch.

I will most definitely be back here again soon — better prepared and the bears, hopefully in hibernation.

Previous related posts
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rt-1-Research)

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rips-in-Japan)
    Last edited by alt.thomas; 09-17-2018 at 07:48.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alt.thomas View Post

Fuji!
    Great trail report & pics! That's awesome that the clouds broke for you to get some shots of Mt. Fuji.

Thanks for posting!

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Great trail report & pics! That's awesome that the clouds broke for you to get some shots of Mt. Fuji.

Thanks for posting!
    Thank you. I could have spent at least an hour on that hill. I was fortunate that I had something to see most of the time immediately in front even in the clouds, mist and rain.

That's awesome. I just got back from my third trip... love it there. Only once (on a month-long bicycle tour) did I get to experience some rural Japan. For example, we camped at the "Hutte Cafe and Camp Site" (bousensou.jimdo.com) on our way to Kusatsu over the Suzuka mountains. Would it be weird to set up a hammock randomly to camp there?

If there's a fourth trip in my future, I'd love to pick your brain about places to go like this.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Adabiviak View Post
    Would it be weird to set up a hammock randomly to camp there?

If there's a fourth trip in my future, I'd love to pick your brain about places to go like this.
    I would first check to see if there are any campsites nearby (paste キャンプ場 in google maps) and call to check if “hammocks are ok” (Han-mocku wa su-ka-te, ee de-su-ka?)

Another great option is if you are in a rural area and see trees nearby, knock on the door of the nearest house and ask if you can stay with your hammock. More than 50-50 you will get permission.

Good luck and PM if you have any other questions!

• + New Posts