Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGC Zep, TQs
    Suspension
    WB Stock Webbing

ENO Vulcan Underquilt Review

I've been testing the ENO Vulcan UQ for the past few weeks in 35-45 degree weather which is the product's stated temperature range. The Vulcan is a full length quilt filled with Primaloft synergy with a differential cut and integrated perimeter suspension system.

Unfortunately, the temperature rating on Vulcan UQ is way off and I wouldn't recommend taking it below 55-50 degrees without bringing along a foam pad to augment it. I'm also not entirely happy with the suspension system on the quilt. The corner toggles aren't cord locks, so you can't configure the UQ to have one longer side to cover the footbox of a WBBB. Also, there aren't any end hangers or even mini biners provided with the product.

The manufacturer specs for the Vulcan list the quilt as weighing 30 ounces and being 6' 8"x 4' in size. MSRP is $174.95. When I weighed the quilt on the SectionHiker scale it weighed 24.7 ounces. Big difference. The actual measurements of the product ENO sent me are 5'10" x 3'6" which explains why it doesn't cover my head and feet when hung. No wonder this quilt sleeps cold. Off by a mile.

I contacted the manufacturer to get an explanation about the spec discrepancy, and they measured a few quilts to check. The dimensional measurements were off on the quilts they checked as well, although not as far off as mine. Their quilts were also 5 ounces lighter than the 30 oz published spec, but they have not changed the temperature rating…he said scratching head. At least not yet.

I recommend giving this quilt a pass. To heavy and too cold, not to mention the inaccurate product specs. ENO has some quality issues that they're going to have to work through.

ENO Vulcan 1.JPGENO Vulcan 2.JPGENO Vulcan 3.JPG

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Thanks for the write-up. I almost picked one of these up before I knew about cottage vendors. I'm glad I never pulled the trigger on getting one of these.

Hammock
    DIY 10ft dbl layer 1.1RS
    Tarp
    Hennesey 12x10 hex
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the review. Since I started living la vida Hammock I've steered towards DIY gear mostly due to budget constraints. Anytime I HAVE to spend money I'm way more comfortable handing it over to one of our "local" vendors here on HF as opposed to larger(?) companies such as ENO. Your review on the Vulcan only reinforces that preference. I'd much rather deal with someone who has an interest in their fellow hangers being comfortable and happy than a company just out to make a profit. The misrepresented numbers could be an honest mistake on Eno's part, but your experience with contacting the manufacturer doesn't sound promising. Thanks again for the heads-up write-up.
    “A taste for the beautiful is most cultivated out of doors, where there is no house and no housekeeper” - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Appreciate the write-up. Some folks are still enthused with this quilt (dejoha, for example), but I just haven't seen many positive reviews other than that.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger 11'
    Tarp
    Monster Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ/LocoLibre UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    I a Vulcan for about 6 years without problems. I don't backpack I motorcycle pack so I never even questioned the specs. I never knew about "cottage" vendors for those years and was happy. I have since purchased UQs from a couple of vendors and can see the differences. I doubt I will ever use the Vulcan again but I will keep it around in case someone else needs one. I also didn't know about ridge lines and whoopies and such but still managed to be comfortable. The custom stuff, gram for gram and dollar for dollar, is much better for the most part, than the bigger manufactures. I chalk it up to the things I didn't know. I would not purchase that UQ again but it beat the heck out of a sleeping bag at the time.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-s / ENO DN
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Habanero 10*
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I recently purchased this quilt. The first night I used it, it got to 40 f and windy. I was very toasty in my hammock. The UQ did not come with carbineers to attach, I had a few carbineers with compasses on them for my scouts that I ended up using to attach to my straps. I had no issues with this UQ.

Note: I only ordered it, because I needed it ASAP, as I did not plan well enough for the low temps.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy S
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 0Burrow/Incubtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I suspect they measure the quilt just as the cottage vendors do, by prestuffed measurements. Just saw a thread on this the other day you can search for where someone wasn't pleased their quilt didn't make the measurement. The overwhelming response was that no one uses finished measurements. This probably includes ENO as well.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I purchased the ENO Vulcan basically due to an uneducated decision. Having said that I have used it in tandem with one of those Costco down throws sewn into a topquilt and was able to sleep comfortably in 35 degree weather. I wore loose fitting wool socks and Minus 33 lightweight merino wool base layer. I am also a very warm sleeper. However, after learning more, I ordered a HG Burrow 20 overstuffed (which will arrive tomorrow) and will be ordering a quality UQ from HG as soon as funds permit. Will probably keep the Vulcan in case my daughter needs one sometime
    The final weapon is the mind. All else is supplemental.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverat View Post
    I purchased the ENO Vulcan basically due to an uneducated decision. Having said that I have used it in tandem with one of those Costco down throws sewn into a topquilt and was able to sleep comfortably in 35 degree weather. I wore loose fitting wool socks and Minus 33 lightweight merino wool base layer. I am also a very warm sleeper. However, after learning more, I ordered a HG Burrow 20 overstuffed (which will arrive tomorrow) and will be ordering a quality UQ from HG as soon as funds permit. Will probably keep the Vulcan in case my daughter needs one sometime
    It may not be the best but as you say, it works and will serve as loaner/backup.

Friendly suggestion: When your daughter goes with, let her use the good stuff =) Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    It may not be the best but as you say, it works and will serve as loaner/backup.

Friendly suggestion: When your daughter goes with, let her use the good stuff =) Happy hanging!
    Sound advice, sir

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    The final weapon is the mind. All else is supplemental.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast