Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'

Red face My first DIY hammock

I went from a 9.5 foot Walmart hammock with bugnet to a Dutchware Chameleon Wide but at six feet tall wondered what a twelve foot hammock might be like. Having my own sewing machine and experience making kites with it, this was a project in the back of my mind for a while. I went to the Lighthouse and Lobster Hang in Maine last weekend and scored some free fabric so there was no excuse to not try out making my own hammock.

First, I did a rolled hem on the long edges. The fabric was five yards long so I put it on my dining room table, measured 13 feet and cut off the extra. I marked both ends at six inches and pinned it together for another rolled hem to make the channels for the continuous loops. Three straight stitches on each end about a half inch apart and I was ready to insert the continuous loops. I made the ridgeline out of Zing It with an adjustable length by splicing a fixed loop with a locked brummel on one end and a constrictor loop on the other (kind of a very long whoopie sling but with only about 6 inches of adjustability).

It took about four to five hours with a bunch of fumbling with misfed bobbin thread and tension adjustments, but I'm happy with it. I even tested it out with suit pants on, that's faith

hammock1.jpg
    hammock2.jpg
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Looks good! Might be a steeper angle than most but if that's where you're comfortable more power to you!

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Nice job! I just made my first hammock this week, also a gathered end, some rolled hems, functional sewing...I imagine I know how you felt with accomplishment!

I am setting up to make a homemade bridge hammock next!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Nice job! Looks good to me. I like your hanging posts too.

Dress pants and black gold toe socks. That could be me laying there.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabennett View Post
    Looks good! Might be a steeper angle than most but if that's where you're comfortable more power to you!
    That's why I made the structural ridgeline adjustable. The calculator said 83% of 144 inches is 119.5. That's where the ridgeline is in that picture. I'll fiddle with it until it is comfortable and then make a fixed srl.

My order from Dutch just came in, so I made new CLs (red and grey) to replace the blue ones. As I learned at the Harrold Parker Hang, "red is head". The blue ones were promised to Tollermama for her girl scouts.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Dress pants and black gold toe socks. That could be me laying there.
    I though the same thing... It is nice.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    What fabric did you use? That looks exactly like the 12 footer I made out of Hyper D XL in olive green. I also, with Dutch's assistance at Hangcon, made my ridgeline out of yellow zing it and It has red and blue CL's. I originally attached whoppie slings to it but it's so long that now I just use 9' tree straps and a beckett hitch. 12 footers are the way to go for comfort.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Looks very nice and a great looking spot to hang it.

You've started to go even further down the rabbit hole of diy'ing with a hammock build...

Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post

It took about four to five hours with a bunch of fumbling with misfed bobbin thread and tension adjustments...

Don't worry about these. I've been on a huge diy binge knocking project after project off a long bucket list for the last month and a half. I had hardly a single mishap and everything was turning out to my high standards. Then last night it was just one of those times...broken needles, bird-nesting in the bobbin, tension issues and so on. Funny, though definitely frustrating how it works sometimes.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    Looks very nice and a great looking spot to hang it.

You've started to go even further down the rabbit hole of diy'ing with a hammock build...

Don't worry about these. I've been on a huge diy binge knocking project after project off a long bucket list for the last month and a half. I had hardly a single mishap and everything was turning out to my high standards. Then last night it was just one of those times...broken needles, bird-nesting in the bobbin, tension issues and so on. Funny, though definitely frustrating how it works sometimes.
    I've made kites for many years. This sewing was much easier, just a bunch of really long straight lines. I even had thread that matched the color of the fabric

• + New Posts