Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    Just a thought but what about a 40°F or 30°F rated quilt that you can boost with your pad when the weather is coldest ? That would allow a lighter load most year round and also allow you to bring a pad for extra insulation when it's cooler. More to the actual question...a quilt is not designed to "add heat" but rather trap your body heat in a "buffer zone" and keep you warm. Bundling up as some have stated will reduce that heat and reduce the effectiveness of the quilt not to mention keeping the moisture closer to your skin and thus cooling you. There is nothing wrong with wearing your base layer (a clean set) to bed and perhaps a down jacket or pants but beyond that the law of diminishing returns may apply.

I use a 0°F quilt for any temps around 20-30° since that is about the coldest it ever gets here. The reason that I use a 0° instead of a 20° is because I will on a very rare occasion get to go hanging when it's about 6° and sometimes the weather is just plain unpredictable. Also, that allows for a generous safety margin. I will eventually get a 40° set also for the warmer months. Btw I sleep cold.

In addition to avoiding clothing that holds moisture, the other aspect to consider is not bundling up with anything that could restrict circulation. That is easy to do with too many layers. Finally, make sure you've fueled your body enough to be able to generate heat. More than once I've been forced to sleep without first eating well. You can get pretty cold pretty quickly that way.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I have been researching my first UQ now for a couple weeks. I finally pulled the trigger on a 4 season Arrowhead Jarbidge 3/4. My thinking was that with it being 3/4 and a 4 season it would provide the most versatility when camping. They are onsale currently for $112.50. Just my $.02.
    Regards,
    SnyperX

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    You guys aren't making it easier

Currently I am leaning towards getting the Wooki 20* and vent it during the summer. I plan on looking into European alternatives if I need something hotter or cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingGazelle View Post

Currently I am leaning towards getting the Wooki 20* and vent it during the summer. I plan on looking into European alternatives if I need something hotter or cooler.
    You can't go wrong with that 20* Wooki.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingGazelle View Post

If you can wait until tomorrow (Sunday) or Monday to make a decision, I have it on good authority that Cedar Ridge Outdoors (https://www.cedarridgegear.com/) is updating their quilt product pages. Not sure what the shipping will be.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Hum...bird Pelican
    Insulation
    0-Wooki 20-Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    You've probably made your decision and gotten your quilt already but I'll post this here in the hopes that it will help someone else out.

I got a 0°F Wooki and have used it at temperatures of about 70°F when I went to bed. I'm not sure it cooled off much more than that through the night. With minimal top insulation I was perfectly comfortable, it was just like laying on a big thick bed. If you can only get one under quilt, get the one that you know will keep you warm on the coldest nights. It won't be bad on warm nights and much better than a sleeping pad that will get sticky in warm weather. I am fairly certain my Wooki will work until it gets so hot that I need no insulation. I've only had it about six months, but I've probably been in it for around 20 nights between temperatures of 30°F - upper 60s, maybe low 70s (°F).
    Mosquitos suck and the wind blows!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For backpacking — where for some people weight and bulk are significant factors — it is not unusual to end up with both TQs and UQs rated for 0°F, 20°F and 40°F, and maybe even an über-light set rated around 60°F.

There's nothing wrong with carrying heavier quilts, but in the middle of a 3000' foot vertical climb this might pop into your head.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Jindra, welcome to the forum. Perhaps reading some posts here will encourage you to try a hammock. Forests and hammocks are pals.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12