WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles

Choosing the right underquilt?

I have looked at adding an underquilt to my setup, so I can test my hammock during the autumn and winter. The weather in Denmark is usually quite mild year-round, with nights ranging from 20 in the winter to 78 degrees for the summer nights.

I have been eyeballing the Wooki for my setup and the fact that it's mostly set and forget seems good for a beginner as me and the quality from Warbonnet has been top notch so far. But due to import fees, a 20 degree Wooki will end up costing me approx. $400 after customs has had their hands on it - the 0 degree Wooki would end up costing $20 more than the 20 degree Wooki, so not a big difference. I am quite a warm sleeper, so please keep that in mind.

So I come from a background as a tent camper, where (as you most likely know) a sleeping pad has an R-value.
    My Neoair XLite has an R-value of 3.2, which should keep me warm to around 23 degrees. I can of course still use the pad during the summer, since it doesn't really provide additional heat.

Does it work the same with underquilts or do they actually provide additional heat like a blanket, that definitely can get too hot?

Also, is it possible to increase the rating of the underquilt by wearing insulated clothes, setting up a tarp and so on?

I would be very grateful for any tips and tricks

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Setting up a tarp isn't an optional item, right? Otherwise, yes, how you position it can complement your insulation system.

Clothes are a funny one. Everything insulates, but its not always additive. Layers of clothing may capture more of your body moisture and while they might not be wet, they might not insulate as well as you might expect. They also retard the warmth of your body from increasing the temperature inside the volume of down in an UQ. Which do you think insulates better, 78 degree air in the quilt, or 50 degree air? That said, wearing a down jacket that is crushed on bottom certainly adds to your top insulation and arms.

Underquilts aren't quite as bad as top quilts for making you too warm in milder weather. But, yes, during the summer you could get too hot from an UQ whereas the pad likely not. Though, the pad is also a vapor barrier which will trap your perspiration, whereas the quilt will breathe.

Personally, I need about a 6 rated pad for 23 degrees. Also personally, I appreciate you using F.

Are there some other euro options for UQs?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    In my experience, I've used my 20° underquilt when the lows were only in the low 70's (Farenheit). The underquilt did not make me too warm. Look at it this way, if you sleep on a 10" mattress in the comfort of your home (probably around 70°F) and don't get too hot, then having 3-4" of insulation underneath you probably isn't going to make you too hot either. Having too much insulation on top will definitely make you too hot in warmer nights.

As for layers of clothing under your top quilt, I've been completely warm with only a light/medium base layer and a pair of socks with my 20° top quilt with temps in the 20's. If it's pushing 0°F, I will add a light fleece pullover. Although, I'm not totally convinced that I need to- it's just more of a precaution.

My recommendation would be to try and sleep with as few layers as possible, but have additional items handy if needed. Then you will be able to see if adding layers of clothing really makes much of a difference.

A 20 degree underquilt should work well year-round, although you will be carrying more weight than needed in a the warmer months. If the 20 gets too warm, you could always vent by loosening the ends to let air pass between the hammock and the quilt. While the Wookie looks like a fine quilt, it’s main drawback is that it only works on Warbonnet hammocks. It’s pretty easy to set up a traditional underquilt, there are tons of YouTube videos on this. As far as the cost, that’s the price you pay for living in a social-democratic society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    While the Wookie looks like a fine quilt, it’s main drawback is that it only works on Warbonnet hammocks.
    Various people have reported that the Wooki works on non-Warbonnet hammocks just fine (example below). The only thing you need to do is rig up a way to connect the whipped end of the Wooki to the CLs. But that isn't hard to do. Just make sure you order the right size Wooki for your hammock.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Dream-Hammock

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    If you are on the fence about dropping that kind of cash, look at synthetic or a make your own style. My first uq was an old sleeping bag rigged with shock cord and duct tape. My 2nd was an army surplus blanket and also didn't need sewing. They can be made from almost anything if you want to try it first.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Setting up a tarp isn't an optional item, right? Otherwise, yes, how you position it can complement your insulation system.

Clothes are a funny one. Everything insulates, but its not always additive. Layers of clothing may capture more of your body moisture and while they might not be wet, they might not insulate as well as you might expect. They also retard the warmth of your body from increasing the temperature inside the volume of down in an UQ. Which do you think insulates better, 78 degree air in the quilt, or 50 degree air? That said, wearing a down jacket that is crushed on bottom certainly adds to your top insulation and arms.

Underquilts aren't quite as bad as top quilts for making you too warm in milder weather. But, yes, during the summer you could get too hot from an UQ whereas the pad likely not. Though, the pad is also a vapor barrier which will trap your perspiration, whereas the quilt will breathe.

Personally, I need about a 6 rated pad for 23 degrees. Also personally, I appreciate you using F.

Are there some other euro options for UQs?
    Interesting about the clothes trapping the body moisture, I hadn't thought about that. I guess the easiest way, to see how far you can push the temperature is just trying it out .

I know of two UQ manufactures in EU. We have UKHammocks and Cumulus in Poland.
    Cumulus has a 20 F UQ which runs at around $300 before shipping. Which can be seen here: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/ca...?gid=129&vid=1
    I haven't heard too much about UKHammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    In my experience, I've used my 20° underquilt when the lows were only in the low 70's (Farenheit). The underquilt did not make me too warm. Look at it this way, if you sleep on a 10" mattress in the comfort of your home (probably around 70°F) and don't get too hot, then having 3-4" of insulation underneath you probably isn't going to make you too hot either. Having too much insulation on top will definitely make you too hot in warmer nights.

As for layers of clothing under your top quilt, I've been completely warm with only a light/medium base layer and a pair of socks with my 20° top quilt with temps in the 20's. If it's pushing 0°F, I will add a light fleece pullover. Although, I'm not totally convinced that I need to- it's just more of a precaution.

My recommendation would be to try and sleep with as few layers as possible, but have additional items handy if needed. Then you will be able to see if adding layers of clothing really makes much of a difference.
    Thanks for the feedback, it seems like 20 F degrees is a good allround fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    A 20 degree underquilt should work well year-round, although you will be carrying more weight than needed in a the warmer months. If the 20 gets too warm, you could always vent by loosening the ends to let air pass between the hammock and the quilt. While the Wookie looks like a fine quilt, it’s main drawback is that it only works on Warbonnet hammocks. It’s pretty easy to set up a traditional underquilt, there are tons of YouTube videos on this. As far as the cost, that’s the price you pay for living in a social-democratic society.

Thanks, I am definitely leaning towards getting a 20 degree UQ by now. I will keep the the exclusivity in mind, when it comes to making my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    If you are on the fence about dropping that kind of cash, look at synthetic or a make your own style. My first uq was an old sleeping bag rigged with shock cord and duct tape. My 2nd was an army surplus blanket and also didn't need sewing. They can be made from almost anything if you want to try it first.
    Actually I have an old synthetic sleeping bag laying around. Is there any good guides to converting old sleeping bags to underquilts?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingGazelle View Post

Actually I have an old synthetic sleeping bag laying around. Is there any good guides to converting old sleeping bags to underquilts?
    Here are some You Tube videos on the subject.........https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+to+underquilt

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    There’s a German reseller of US hammock gear that can help at least a little with import costs: http://www.shop-016.de/campinghammock-h136-Quilts.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

I’m not sure there is any way to get around the import duties. I imagine it is, mostly, VAT, which is 25% in Denmark (yikes!).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast