Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps

Walmart Exercise Mat?

Hello All!

I was wondering if anyone had any idea if this exercise mat available at walmart could be used for bottom insulation in mild weather?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Athletic-...10mm/100108391

We already own one of these, so it would save me having to go get one of those closed cell foam pads they carry (and if we're being honest, it's more flexible and all around feels better to the touch). I have seen sleeping mats that are made of what seems to be a similar material at Academy, but I really have no clue if it would work or not. Also, I don't presently have a way to set up at my house to just do a test in the comfort of my backyard so I could just run in if I got to cold, we have some camping areas close by, but it'd be much more complicated to pack up and drive home in the middle of the night.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight to offer on the subject I would be grateful, I hope everyone is having a great day!
    -Amanda
    "To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life." -James Thurber

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    I can't speak to that particular yoga mat but I have successfully used a yoga mat to mid 30 degrees. My yoga mat was the cushiest widest one I could find. My experience is that I could tell it was a very effective wind block and my own body heat reflected back nicely. Your picture makes me think you are a lot skinnier than me, but I think even so you will find that the wider yoga mats offer better protection as you change positions in the night.

Hammock
    Magellan Outdoors Double
    Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps
    I think my picture can be deceptive lol! But thanks for the insight, it feels like the same material a yoga mat is made of, but it's about twice as thick as all the other yoga mats I own so maybe I should suck it up and do a bit of car camping to experiment with the ones I have. This particular mat is 2 feet wide so about on par with what I've seen a lot of sleeping pads come in. Thanks again!
    -Amanda
    "To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life." -James Thurber

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    try it

I suspect it'll trap a LOT of moisture, but if it works, it works

if not, helps justify getting an UQ!

Hammock
    Magellan Outdoors Double
    Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps
    I’m already resolved to getting an UQ as soon as I can afford it, Unfortunately I don’t have the money for one at the moment, and my mom and I are thinking about trying to get a little camping in this weekend, so there’s no time to buy one and get it here even if I could lol. I agree with the suspicions about the moisture, I’ll have to cross my fingers that it doesn’t.
    -Amanda

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I use a walmart yoga mat cut in half for a "welcome mat" under my hammock on the ground. I have very sensitive feet and the soft mat gives me a nice spot to take off and put on my shoes when getting in and out of the hammock. I use the other half when changing into my drysuit for kayaking.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Magellan Outdoors Double
    Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps
    I was wondering the other day about using a piece of yoga mat, or a travel yoga mat that has been folded as a sit pad, not that it's any cheaper than a thermarest sit pad strictly speaking, but I tend to find them secondhand at goodwill or thrift stores often. That sounds like a great idea to add a little extra comfort while out there!
    -Amanda

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I cut a mat like that into sections to lay in the bottom of the canoe. Works great for when I need to kneel. It doesn't absorb any water.

I can't imagine it being very comfortable underneath me in a hammock. I am pretty sure I would sweat up a storm and feel drenched.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think the ccf pads are more of a known quantity.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...Blue/634956813

That one is 1/2 inch thick and half the cost of the yoga mat. I used ccf pads for two years before I finally bought an underquilt. Yes, I got tons of condensation, but I stayed warm down to 22* F despite the condensation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    They work. They're a bit on the heavy side.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast