Magellan Outdoors Double
    Tarp
    OT 12' Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Magellan Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I cut a mat like that into sections to lay in the bottom of the canoe. Works great for when I need to kneel. It doesn't absorb any water.

I can't imagine it being very comfortable underneath me in a hammock. I am pretty sure I would sweat up a storm and feel drenched.
    Great idea to cut those up to stick in a canoe! Good to know that it doesn't really absorb water, I was wondering about that. I think that using a pad of any sort is going to cut down the level of comfort in the hammock, but since I can's shell out the cash for an UQ right now, I am trying to figure out my best option at the moment. I sleep pretty cold so I'm hoping that sweat won't turn into a huge issue. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think the ccf pads are more of a known quantity.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...Blue/634956813

That one is 1/2 inch thick and half the cost of the yoga mat. I used ccf pads for two years before I finally bought an underquilt. Yes, I got tons of condensation, but I stayed warm down to 22* F despite the condensation.
    I know that those are well known to work, and if I have to buy one I will, I was just hoping that someone might have been curious about the exercise pad before me and knew the answer since I already have one in my possession. I have often wondered if putting a CCF pad inside a sleeping bag liner would help make it more comfortable with the moisture and the various other factors that make pads less comfortable than underquilts. Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    They work. They're a bit on the heavy side.
    Weight shouldn't be a huge issue at least in the near future, we will either be covering short distances on foot, or car camping until I can get some better quality gear and get into better shape lol. Thanks for answering my question, I appreciate it.
    -Amanda
    "To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life." -James Thurber

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    One more thing to keep in mind. As it gets colder the mat may not be wide enough in the shoulder area. You may have a smaller body type, but it’s a common problem. In the same spirit of using what you have, look around for something that can supplement the mat. Lots of people have had success with windshield reflectors and similar items. Good luck. 90% of my gear is DIY so I can appreciate your journey. There’s lots of solutions that will work, you just need to find yours.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BookwormStorm View Post
    I know that those are well known to work, and if I have to buy one I will, I was just hoping that someone might have been curious about the exercise pad before me and knew the answer since I already have one in my possession. I have often wondered if putting a CCF pad inside a sleeping bag liner would help make it more comfortable with the moisture and the various other factors that make pads less comfortable than underquilts.
    The yoga mat is .39 inches thick while the ccf pad is .50 inches thick. In other words, the ccf pad is about 20% thicker. I have slept with a 5/8 inch ccf pad down to 22* F, but had lots of condensation. In fact, that was the night I decided to buy an underquilt, because I never wanted to live through that kind of condensation again!

I have my doubts about a .39" yoga pad and how low you can go with that.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    For mild conditions it will most definitely work. Of course, mild for me is different than mild for you.

I've taken my wife's purple yoga mat down to the upper 20's back in 2012. The problem with mats in cold weather is the width. If any part of you moves off the mat, you can feel it right away. In milder temps, you may not have the same problems. I would say for you to take what you have until you can afford to upgrade.

Check out Shug's video for use of pads, SPE's(Segmented Pad Extenders), and Sleeping Bags in a hammock.

Good luck on your trip and bring back some pics on your Trip Report
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BookwormStorm View Post
    Hello All!

I was wondering if anyone had any idea if this exercise mat available at walmart could be used for bottom insulation in mild weather?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Athletic-...10mm/100108391

We already own one of these, so it would save me having to go get one of those closed cell foam pads they carry (and if we're being honest, it's more flexible and all around feels better to the touch). I have seen sleeping mats that are made of what seems to be a similar material at Academy, but I really have no clue if it would work or not. Also, I don't presently have a way to set up at my house to just do a test in the comfort of my backyard so I could just run in if I got to cold, we have some camping areas close by, but it'd be much more complicated to pack up and drive home in the middle of the night.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight to offer on the subject I would be grateful, I hope everyone is having a great day!
    So here is my thoughts on this - I believe as you were directed in some of the other comments that this will probably be too thin to get down under 35-40 degrees or so with out some extra help. I have used a similar but different system that has taken me down to around the 20-25* level comfortably but admittedly I was a bit cool for comfort in the wee early morning hours - and wind may have had a bit to do with it also.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-3...hoCREwQAvD_BwE

This is a product called Relflectix which is like bubble wrap made with Mylar. Anyway it has air bubbles which offer some insulation, as well as the reflective benefits of Mylar. I sandwhiched my reflectix "pad" in between an old wool army blanket. With my set up the wool was handy at getting rid of the condensation, and the reflectix kept me fairly warm all night long. I also have used this method on the ground to some degree of success. This is super cheap by the way - $17 gets you a 25' roll of reflectix and the wool army blanket I found out my army surplus store was less than $40. A bit heavy but rolled up together and strapped to the pack was super simple and not really much extra weight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    I’ve used one of the WalMart pads with great results down to hi 30’s. But, I only use it in double layer hammocks. I don’t think I would like lying directly on it.

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Reflectix...hummm...great stuff but a tad noisy and krinkely. I made essentially the same sandwich as Gilligan made above using 48" wide material cut to roughly fit my shoulders tapered to my feet then wrapped it in GI poncho liner on both sides allowing the liner to extend above the side of the hammock sides about 6" allowing enough to tuck in my top quilt or blanket. Worked well down to freezing (don't know the real temp but stuff was frozen when I got up) and dressed in Sitka gear pants and jacket I was way too warm. When I took off the jacket and pants with just the smartwool tee shirt and underware I was just fine with a poncho liner on top. Dry cold in Idaho so no issue with condensation.

I'm not the yoga type but might try the Walley Mart pad if it's a lot softer than their blue pad. I can always use it for my tender toes and knees and other parts as required. I use the blue pad to keep the dogs from slipping in canoes...they just want to swim when in kayaks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think the ccf pads are more of a known quantity.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...Blue/634956813

That one is 1/2 inch thick and half the cost of the yoga mat. I used ccf pads for two years before I finally bought an underquilt. Yes, I got tons of condensation, but I stayed warm down to 22* F despite the condensation.
    Another vote for this ^^^

It was my first bottom insulation. Still have it. I actually cut it to a torso length pad and turned the excess piece sideways to make it wider at my shoulders. Sadly it was still too narrow for my body.. But it worked better than nothing.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1647270
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I've used the blue pad from wally world a few times when I first started & before uq. Worked just fine but not as comfy as without it. Found them on sale while browsing the clearance aisle for $5. Bought 6 & gave some to Grandboys before they had uq's.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    It works great in a double layer hammock.
    I’m going to try it in a single layer with a sheet tube. Pretty sure it won’t work without a cover on it

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast