Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images

Hammock Sock to Undercover AIO

After several problems we had during our Alaska trip this past winter, one really stuck out - not because it didnt work, but more of a wasnt quite versatile enough. We both had full coverage breathable socks with upside down smile zippered doors. We found after a few weeks that we did not want full coverage on cold but not freezing weather, or full coverage in freezing rain/snow weather without opening the door a little or a lot as it sometimes became stuffy at times. The draft always came from one side.

So! My solution was to make a high walled underquilt protector - the walls ended up as high as the ridgeline. Its very simple to make - 12ft long x 82 inches wide. 2 channels that are 3 ft long along the tops midway. Shock cord and cordlocks for the channels and gathered ends. The 3 ft channels allow plenty of adjustment in raising or lowering either side. When fully cinched up the tops are right there with the ridgeline and about a 10 inch wide gap. Plenty of breathing room - and takes just seconds to adjust. Just loosen one cord lock and pull the side down to get out. Leave both sides slack and it works just swell as a underquilt protector. Get back in and tighten the cord lock to however high you want the "wall" to be on either side. We like this much better than a zippered door. Easy to get in and out especially at night.

I made this one from scrap material I had on hand. Took about an hour to cut and sew together. Im ordering 16 yds of Argon 90 so I can make 2. With the Argon 90 I figure each one will weigh between 5 and 6 oz. and have dual versatility.

Sides Up1.jpg

Sides Down In Undercover Mode (640x480).jpg

Inside.jpg

Gathered End (640x469).jpg

JT

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    That's pretty slick! I don't like zippers either and it's smart to be able to regulate ventilation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Cool idea! Blocks wind from the side but has great ventilation.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch 11' single Hexon1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ WD11
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DW Cinch Buckle
    This sounds like it is a variation of the Molly Mac Nylon winter hammock sock.
    http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/feat...-hammock-sock/

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    That's pretty slick! I don't like zippers either and it's smart to be able to regulate ventilation.

Thanks MAD777! I cant count how many times I fumbled with the zipper tabs on the sock in the dark - or light for that matter. Just pull down on the wall - easy when your still half asleep.

JT

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Cool idea! Blocks wind from the side but has great ventilation.
    Thanks sidney! With the variable winds we experienced, I feel this is a good solution for venting and entry/egress - can now use either side!

JT

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pH@willie View Post
    This sounds like it is a variation of the Molly Mac Nylon winter hammock sock.
    http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/feat...-hammock-sock/
    Yes, kinda. The Molly Mac has shockcord on one side. I apologize if I stepped on anyones design toes.

JT

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I like the 3 foot adjustable section for its light weight and less bulk. I believe this will replace my favorite sock design. All designs are a variation on solving some problem, which is good as a car camper would pick a different variation than backpacker.
    I would add a couple inches of reflective line to the shock cord to easily find it at night. And, perhaps lighter, rigid line could replace the shock cord, with good results.
    Pips designed a bug net / sock that could be entered from both sides with no zippers. Hers was a variation of another concept. But it had heavy 1/8" shock cord running the length of the hammock on both sides. Also, it couldn't be opened for ventilation. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=Sock

Last edited by MAD777; 09-12-2018 at 06:55.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I like the 3 foot adjustable section for its light weight and less bulk. I believe this will replace my favorite sock design. All designs are a variation on solving some problem, which is good as a car camper would pick a different variation than backpacker.
    I would add a couple inches of reflective line to the shock cord to easily find it at night. And, perhaps lighter, rigid line could replace the shock cord, with good results.
    Pips designed a bug net / sock that could be entered from both sides with no zippers. Hers was a variation of another concept. But it had heavy 1/8" shock cord running the length of the hammock on both sides. Also, it couldn't be opened for ventilation. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=Sock

Been looking at the mini cordlocks (really tiny)and 1/16" shock cord. Zing-it and Lash-it would work also. I'll order all of it just so I can play with different things. You can also sew down one end of the cord and just use 1 mini cord lock on the other side to save weight also. The material used for the body is the key to lightweight. If someone knows a better material thats lighter (than Argon 90) and DWR/breathable, I would be interested in knowing what it is. Theres a little room for shaving weight in the 12ft x 82inch dimensions. If you custom fit it to your hammock it will be lighter. This is just an all in one dimension that will fit just about any hammock.

Yes - the Ted bug net is heavier due to the shockcord. We are already planning on new lighter hammocks without built in nets (no more zippers) and just using the bottom entry bug net in bug season. Also will be changing the UQ dimensions a bit. When you use something (and carry it) nearly everyday for 6 months, you start to see areas that can be improved. Our big thing was the zippers on the socks, venting and the lack of entry/exit on both sides of the hammocks.

JT

This is very similar to what I usually do, which is wrap a heavy duty tarp underneath me whose ends are connected with cordage to the ridgeline, and the head and foot ends have the gromets gathered and tied together so it's like a cozy taco/cocoon. The tarp still reaches the ground, and I usually dump my gear in this part and can walk around barefoot in it/get changed/etc and I stay super warm and dry, even on top of snow, and it's definitely held up and been abused in muddy puddles and such plenty of times. It's not light, but if weight isn't a concern it's fantastic and convenient.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast