Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I made the same thing out of PP (polypropelene)... lighter than silnylon, water and windproof, and packs up very small. Pully system with plastic sewing machine bobbin at foot end, run through pressic on ridgeline... adj each side through the same barrel lock. Works great! Retains heat, too, so it'll increase my UQ temperature load.
    dance lightly, with the earth; listen to her song

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Polypropylene nor silnylon isn't usually used for a sock where you typically want breathability. How do you handle condensation?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Ok - finished one of the new socks. 8 yds of argon 67. This time instead of using a big rectangle, I made it boat shaped - I measured 3 ft down and 2 feet in (I think) - marked it and cut it. I hemmed all around and sewed the 2 pieces together all along the bottom and 4 inches on the top edge ends. This helps keep the top edge a bit tighter. I tried using zing it in the channels to shave weight and was disappointed that I could not keep the zing it from slipping thru the cord locks - the slightest pull would make it slip. I had to use 1/16 shock cord to get it to grip. All in all I'm happy with it. The argon is super thin but easy to cut and sew.

Weight wise I had it under 6 oz using the zing it and mini cord locks, but switching to shock cord and bigger cord locks drove the weight up to 7.35 oz. After trimming the shock cord to an absolute minimum length and using only 1 cord lock per side, I managed 6.9oz. Im not going to complain about that a bit. So this project is now done.

In the pictures I noticed the argon is brown in some and green in others - must be my camera and or flash - the material is definitely brown. So - now to make the wifes sock in the same color.

I just noticed the second picture shows my play around with cord locks and shock cords. This wasnt supposed to be the final picture. I'll get the correct one and post it in a bit - it be lunch time now and Im being called to get myself inside and eat something before it disappears.

Top Load Sock.jpg

Top Adjust.jpg

Rolled Up.jpg

6.9 oz weight.jpg

JT

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Aww - time for a new phone. Everything is green tinted now. Heres the final pic anyway of the top draw cords.

JT

Top Draw Cords.jpg

Images
    [QUOTE=MAD777;1921125]Polypropylene nor silnylon isn't usually used for a sock where you typically want breathability. How do you handle condensation?

It breathes fine, plus it is one piece like the hammock, put shockcord on end gathers for variable adjustment. This polypropelene is untreated fabric, also known as olefyn.
    I have used two different weights: the heaiver weight i make stuff sacks with. The lighter weight (usually used as an upholstery liner) is perfect as my UQ/hammock protector. The idea originated out of need to cut down on the fog dampness in my hammock..... raise the sides when the fog rolls in. It also guards well against the splash back from the ground during heavy driven rainstorms. The fabric is also stain and abrasion resistant.
    Last edited by leightfoot; 09-23-2018 at 07:49.
    dance lightly, with the earth; listen to her song

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks for correcting my bad assumption that polypropylene is like a plastic drop cloth.

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    @JTaylor I'm putting in an order for the materials to make this. Going to use M10 fabric.

I may add one feature. A string tab at the top center of each side and a mitten hook on the center of the hammock ridgeline. On very windy nights, I can hook the sides to the ridgeline to reduce the gap at the top.

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    @JTaylor I'm putting in an order for the materials to make this. Going to use M10 fabric.

I may add one feature. A string tab at the top center of each side and a mitten hook on the center of the hammock ridgeline. On very windy nights, I can hook the sides to the ridgeline to reduce the gap at the top.

Thats a good idea - I'll add it myself - in fact, adding one or 2 more along the line for more adjustment. Used it last night - not near cool enough, but wanted to see anyway. Works like a charm venting and no getting out to adjust anything. Getting in/out from either side was a snap. Well worth it. Cant wait for colder weather. We love hammocking! Looking at the design it shouldnt be hard to make an all in one to fit gathered ends or bridges.

JT

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I'm lovin' this design and now I can say I finally found a sock design to make! Thank you for sharing it with us.

I used to use tabs on my UQ's when I used a bridge hammock to cinch things tight on the windiest nights and will incorporate MAD's feature into mine as well.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    "also known as olefyn." Ah! Now I know what your referring to. I'll look into it more closely. Thanks for the info, leightfoot!

JT

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast