Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

SLD Winter Hot Tent “The Cabin” Prototype

About 2 years ago I contacted Jared about creating one of these for me to add to my winter kit. Some of the group I camp with had them and after being on a trip or two with them, I just knew it was something that I’d needed. Funny how that happens… Unfortunately, after some back and forth discussions, we decided to put it on the back burner due to a variety of reasons.

Fast forward one year: In January 2018 I had just gotten back from a winter trip and I got an email from Jared asking about if I was still interested in a hot tent as a possible item to bring to market. Of course, I was game and we began a rapid exchange of emails discussing size, materials, features, design etc. The design inspiration came from hot tents built by Dogger, TZ Brown, Turkey (Dogger design), and Squirrelbait (Smokehouse built), plus a few versions out there from the internet. Jared then added some other designs details and personal touches, that really shows how time time and effort he put into it. For example, there’s a mesh storage pouch on one of the walls to hold the stuff sacks and other small items. He even made 2 red codura pouches for the poles and stakes There are zippered doors for the hammock suspension to go through on each end, with tie backs to open everything up.

A month later, on the day before I was leaving on my annual trip to Green Timbers, a package arrived containing prototype #2 of the SLD Hot Tent, that I affectionately call “The Cabin”

Here’s the details: I really liked the idea of the long back wall and a short front wall, as opposed to a traditional wall tent style, so we went with that. The dimensions are 12 by 10 with a 6 foot ceiling height and 30” front knee walls. The ridgeline is held up with 1” strapping and cinch buckles, then there are two sets of internal folding tent poles that match the profile and add internal support. The short front wall has external poles, a stove jack near the corner of the side wall, and a picture window with cover (thank you TZ for the idea) that provides a great vew of the woods. There’s also an interior dirt skirt, plus attachment points inside for a drying line and lights. All exterior pullouts have line locs, plus there are additional tie outs on the angled back wall and front wall. Jared made it out of silpoly 1.6. A few weeks ago, I spent over 3 hours seam sealing the inside and outside.

The tent itself with ridgeline comes in at 3.2 lbs, 2 lbs of poles/accessories, plus a 3 more pounds for those big 10” steel stakes that are needed winter. When it’s on my toboggan for winter trips, the weight is negligible.

Now, it wouldn’t be a hot tent without a stove, so in August, I purchased a knico Packer stove (with sidetable), that comes in at around 10 pounds total. The stove has been painted and burned in, so once the weather cools down, I’ll be able to finally finish the install and everything will be complete.

I’m the proud owner of #2 and if anyone is interested in one of these, it doesn’t look like Jared will be bringing these out of the market. Due to the size, details and how much time and effort it takes to put these together, there just isn’t enough return to justify the time involved. That doesn’t mean that you still can’t get one: Prototype #1 is available on his website in the “Get up and Get Outdoors” section. I have a long relationship with Jared and working with him is always rewarding. “The Cabin” is a welcome addition to my winter gear and I look forward to many, many nights out in the snow.

Prototype:
    https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...tent-prototype

Link to photos:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmbwzpFU
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsku6KDR2
    Last edited by michigandave; 09-11-2018 at 17:17.

Hammock
    10' DH sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY hex with doors
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    Toggles & Whoopies
    Looks like an absolute paradise! I did a pretty miserable canoe packing trip in the UP late last fall. Could have benefited from a cabin of my own - after all, weight doesnt matter when you've got a canoe to haul it all!
    Enjoy your future trips!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Nice set up. I like the window. I have a Smokehouse set up.
    Is that flame retardant fabric? I opted for FR because I'm fearful of sleeping inside a flammable shell with a flame source inside. Do you have any issues regulating temperature. I've had issues when I had a hard time keeping the inside from getting too hot.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I love the idea of being able to hot tent in my hammock but I'd be so worried about burning the material with sparks. My canvas hot tent is full of little burn holes...but with canvas it doesn't really do a ton of damage. I'd assume with silpoly any burn holes would be pretty damaging.... Any issues so far? Sure looks comfy!

Standard 1.6 silpoly for the tarp, but that is a proper stove jack. I'll also have that reflector cut down to length a bit and secured with uprights. I still need a smoke alarm and CO2 detector. Haven't fired it up yet inside since when I did the initial setup it was 90 degrees outside. Temperature regulation should be fine with the pipe damper and being able to zip/unzip the doors for ventilation.

The 6' pipe (5 inch) goes out the side and does have a spark arrester I can add.
    Last edited by michigandave; 09-11-2018 at 19:53.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Pretty slick!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post

The 6' pipe (5 inch) goes out the side and does have a spark arrester I can add.
    Is the arrestor a mesh or more of a metal cap? Without that, it seems like wind would blow right down there, and what a mess that would be! Or just angle the pipe up more.

The cap/spark arrester just slips into the end of the pipe. I've been told that the mesh screen should be removed since creosote can build up in it. I may just make another pivoting cap that gets held on with machine screws.

I can also angle the pipe more by using the adjustable elbow that is inside the tent. It's going to take some tweaking to get everything dialed in.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have that same spark arrester and would highly recommend it for the safety of you, your gear and the forest.
    Good luck this Winter! Stay safe.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    The cap/spark arrester just slips into the end of the pipe. I've been told that the mesh screen should be removed since creosote can build up in it. I may just make another pivoting cap that gets held on with machine screws.

I can also angle the pipe more by using the adjustable elbow that is inside the tent. It's going to take some tweaking to get everything dialed in.

That's what I was thinking of. Looks good!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast