Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    This hot tent is based off designs by Dogger and TZBrown and both of the use the side exit chimney. After seeing theirs at a hang, I really liked that configuration. My buddy has a smokehouse with a chimney straight up through the roof and he's gotten a few spark holes. Coming out the side works for me and I've got at least 5-6 feet of chimney outside, supported by a tripod stand that is rock solid.

Looks like Prototype #1 is coming home to Michigan, since another hanger here purchased it! I had mine out last week at a hang, in anticipation of the upcoming winter hang season. Every time I put it up, it's easier to adjust and get almost right the first time.

I've also added some extra gear and made some mods: purchased 10' chainsaw for wood gathering, added 16' wire LED with remote for internal light, switched the nite eyze figure 9's that I use for tensioning the tent over the webbing ridge line to a simple line loc with reflective line and cut down my stove reflector to a more manageable length plus added a crimp at each end to insert a small metal rod. Now its a lot easier than shoving a stick in frozen ground plus is a cleaner look. Looking forward to some more quality time in the cabin!

Last edited by michigandave; 11-06-2019 at 09:09.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post

I've also added some extra gear and made some mods: purchased 10' chainsaw for wood gathering
    10ft chainsaw?!? Wow! You folks in MI really take your wood gathering serious! LOL.
    JK, I know what you meant.
    I'm getting ready to dust off the Smokehouse. May set it up in the backyard this weekend.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    10ft chainsaw?!?
    Dave doesn't play around. UL...only need to carry about 1/4 cup of gasoline since you can take down 6 trees in one swipe.

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    This hot tent is based off designs by Dogger and TZBrown and both of the use the side exit chimney. After seeing theirs at a hang, I really liked that configuration. My buddy has a smokehouse with a chimney straight up through the roof and he's gotten a few spark holes. Coming out the side works for me and I've got at least 5-6 feet of chimney outside, supported by a tripod stand that is rock solid.
    You may want to try getting that stove pipe more vertical if you want the stove to work efficiently. Either add an elbow or bring your stove closer to your tent wall.

Opps, typo....meant 10" chainsaw. A 10 foot one would barely fit on my pulk.

I haven't had any issues with the draw using my current angle, but I do see the benefits of getting it a little higher. I feel pretty safe with the stove about 16 inches from the wall, using the reflector in between. At our last hang, TZbrown uses the same stove/chimney configuration but suspends the chimney from the tripod, whereas I put mine on top. I think I'm going to try it his way, move the tripod closer and see what I can do to adjust the angle.

Thanks for the tip, BV! There's always stuff to learn and having another eye on something is a plus!

At the moment it's only drawing like a 3ft vertical but if it works that's all fine.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Any pointers on starting the stove?? I sometimes smoke the tent out when starting up the stove.
    Another question is Does anyone use a carbon monoxide detector in their hot tent?
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

No carbon monoxide detector, since it's not as sealed up as a house would be and there's lots of airflow.

When I first set it up when I got it, I got a ton of smoke in the tent. But, after one of our stove gurus gave me a lesson, I was good to go. I thought it had to be level front to back....nope, elevate the back to help with the draw. I usually use a combination of birch bark, small twigs and Menards fatwood (slivers of various sizes) to get it going. Sometimes I'll use those small duraflame starters or if I'm lazy, one of those big fireplace logs. Then I'll just feed it with small chunks of split hardwood.

There's a learning curve and I'm no expert, but I can still get a fire going pretty quick. As I've found out, making fire is all about the prep work.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    The detector is a very good idea. They are small and cheap. Some have also low oxygen alarms built in. Not likely a problem in a cabin but you never know. A hot pine fire can suck up a lot of O2.

Best way of keeping any smoke from backdrafting is to create a quick hot fire. Usually a wadded up newspaper page will do the trick. You have to get the air rising up the chimney at the start of any cold stove. Once the initial draft is started it will continue as long as there is some heat being generated at the stove. It just has to change the temp differential between inside the stove and the outside of the cabin.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast