Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Lake Lila NY ADK's Sept 2018

Lake Lila has been on my list for a while. I finally had an opportunity to go as I was picking up a canoe for a friend at Mountainman Outdoor Supply Co and Lila was a little over 2 hrs away. I went the day after the holiday and arrived at the Lake about 2 pm on Tuesday. It's a long slow dirt road in and I wouldn't recommend taking any low sedans as you might not come back out with a muffler. The Subaru did great. It's a 1/3 of a mile carry in from parking lot to the lake. I talked with a fellow who was coming off the lake and he said he was the last one on the lake and I'd have it all to myself. Awesome! So I paddled in an began looking for sites. I have to say that these sites aren't marked like they are in Algonquin with large bright orange signs. They are marked with faded circles the size of the bottom of a coke can. Many times obscured by foliage. I didn't notice any along the shores on the way in but I wasn't really looking to stay on shore, I was looking to stay on 1 of the 4 island sites. Eventually I found the site on Buck Island and set up shop. I had just finished gather some wood and was ready for a little nap. Then I noticed a huge leaning birch that wasn't in the immediate area of my hammock but it was big enough that if it did fall it was landing right across my hammock. A friend of mine says never trust a birch, so I moved my hammock. Then I went down to the water and sat on a big rock and soaked it all in. I sat there for about 10 minutes without hearing a single sound. Complete silence. It was great! The silence was eventually broken by the call of a loon. It was a welcome sound as I love loons. A friend of mine says loons have 3 calls, normal call, mating and party time. The following night, I heard party time! Must have been about 4 loons continually calling to each other like crazy. It was amazing. This was my first true out of cell reach solo trip. It was cleansing beyond words. I went from Tuesday afternoon and did speak a single word until Thursday morning when I saw another human. It was nice.
    Day 2, I decided to check out some of the other island sites. I had to wait till after 9:30 as the morning mist was thick. I found I liked Spruce island better because it was a nicer site and both sunrise and sunset could be watched. The other thing I noticed which I thought was a fluke on the other island. There were virtually NO bugs. This was fantastic. Went to sleep that night with no UQ or TQ as it was a bit warm.
    The 3rd day things cooled down quite a bit and rain rolled in and out all day. I spent most of the day napping and reading. All in all a very relaxing day.
    Day 4 was looking like another beauty and I decided to see how my foot would hold up to the 1 1/2 mile hike up Mt Frederica as that was the same distance as the portage on an upcoming trip. I took my time and was able to get to the top without much issue. The views from the top looking over Lila were beautiful! Well worth the hike. So I stayed at the top for a while and had lunch. Then I hiked back down and decided since the winds had stopped I'd take a shot at catching a trout for dinner. I only got in about a half hour of fishing before the winds kicked back up so I decided to head back to my island. Lake Lila lets you know when she will let you fish. It can be a pretty winding lake.
    Day 5, I woke and the skies were dark. I got up and had just enough fuel left to have a cup of coffee with my peanut butter pop tart.(Shug knows best) Then after looking at the sky for a while I decided to pack up and paddle out before it rained. The wind was at about 20 mph so this was also a chance to see how 76's canoe paddled in the wind. It handled it like a champ.
    This was an absolutely wonderful trip and the only thing that would have made it better was catching some trout but I'm not complaining. Had a great time and will definitely be going back to Lake Lila.

Here are some pics
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mi...OthqCZUVBOEjfJ
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Like Lila is beautiful. I was there for an overnight in July. Lots of bugs and a coyote close. Trip report. If you turn around to the right when you get to the water off the carry you can see the trail for site 1.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I love Lake Lila! The drive in can be a frightening experience during a rain storm. The first time I went to Lake Lila, it rained five inches the night before and it took two hours to drive from Route 30 to the Lake Lila parking lot. We had to unload hundreds of pounds of gear from my father-in-law's Cadillac (including the canoe, and humans) just to get the clearance to clear some of the inevitable puddles (the Cadillac had very squishy shocks). There are definitely a lot of boulders in the road, and you don't want to exceed the 15 mph speed limit for most of the journey.

No cell phone coverage was always one of the highlights of going to Lake Lila - it drove my two sons absolutely crazy. The only time we got cell phone coverage was, ironically, during Hurricane Irene in 2012. My wife called me and told me to get my butt home because they were closing the Garden State Parkway. We made it home an hour before they closed the Parkway.

That 1/3 mile portage is also enough to keep a lot of people away! This map shows the campsites pretty well, so at least you know there's a campsite and can find the signs designating campsites.

https://www.cnyhiking.com/WilliamWhitneyWilderness.htm

I, too, like Buck Island and Spruce Island - they're my favorite sites. Since everything is first come, first served (three-day max), you might end up at a less-than-ideal campsite on your first night, but we always paddled around each morning to see who was leaving, and we usually got a decent site on the second night.

I never caught a trout at Lake Lila, but plenty of smallmouth bass. Pretty good eating!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

That sounds beautiful! It sounds like my little Honda Fit wouldn't have made the drive, but maybe I could have dragged my kayak with its little trailer. I love solitude!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ljane View Post
    That sounds beautiful! It sounds like my little Honda Fit wouldn't have made the drive, but maybe I could have dragged my kayak with its little trailer. I love solitude!!
    Hi ljane. I'd say your fit could make it. Slow and careful would make it. Carry in from the parking lot is required as a cart wouldn't work with all the roots and rocks. The solitude was amazing! Can't remember the last time I went 2 days without speaking a word. If you do go, I have heard the place can be packed on Weekends and holidays. I got lucky and went in on a Tuesday after a holiday weekend.
    Added bonus, I thought I was going to be digging cut holes. They had decent thunder boxes at each site.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    I drove in there years ago with a '77 Caddy Coupe Deville with two Kayaks on the roof. That was a sight (and experience)

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BoundryWaters View Post
    I drove in there years ago with a '77 Caddy Coupe Deville with two Kayaks on the roof. That was a sight (and experience)
    Stylin'

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Hi ljane. I'd say your fit could make it. Slow and careful would make it.
    Real slow. As mentioned before, I took a 1994 Cadillac Sedan de Ville down there for several years, and that car had very little clearance. Mostly I take my 2009 Chevy Cobalt, which also has very little clearance. Sometimes you have to get out of the car and make sure your car will clear the boulders. And when necessary, offload humans and gear to lighten up the load!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol Winterlight
    Suspension
    Amok cinch buckles
    Great trip report Luvmybonnet, sounds like a beautiful place.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    1.7 dbl, WBRR LSOH Swift
    Tarp
    superfly Razor
    Insulation
    Lynx' toaster z
    Suspension
    webbing, whoopies
    Gee, thats a nice boat!
    No signs,no fees,no rules,nobody. My kind of campsite.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast