Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The only thing that bothers me is animals that don't act like they're supposed to act.

That's probably the same thing Porky was thinking about humans too!
    Signature suspended

Agree with everyone, this comes with experience. Camping for years has helped me with it.

In general, I take the "what you can't see, hear or feel, can't hurt you".

PS. Hammock camping is bit more creepier than tent. I've had skunks climbing tents in the past....can't even imagine.....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Generally speaking, I think you're much safer deep in the woods solo than being in town with 300 other people at your local Walmart.
    Even driving to the trailhead is probably far more dangerous than hiking or camping solo, yet being accostumed to driving day in and day out I usually never give it a second thought.

I think the more you spend time in the wilderness the more you relax and adjust your perception of risk, and also learning how to manage risk to avoid potential problems helps with that as well.

Hammock
    12' Double from seller on the site
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    A few days ago it was when I woke up at midnight. There was 3 coyotes on area of the woods by me and then after the three were yapping a 4th started on the opposite side of me. They were out of sight though but still plenty loud and clearly in the same woods as I was. After the 4th started going and replying back I yelled at them and then they got quite. They stayed quite the rest of the night. lol. I didn't become a coyote taco and I much rather have coyotes to worry about making noise near by then bears. I think I have much better odds on a yote taco vs a bear taco.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Only when I'm walking thru the woods and see this

Seriosuly, Shug needs to print one of these tarps
    This is legit amazing.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Draumr 3.0 Tarp
    Insulation
    Synmat 7
    The only time I've really felt uncomfortable was hanging in a state park campground near Fort Davis, Texas. There were javelinas in camp that I'm not used to being from Minnesota, and there were a couple that seemed to be getting into a fight. Of course they seemed like they were 10 feet away when it was probably much more than that but I was a little uneasy. I stayed up for a few minutes and then went back to sleep... Till the food poisoning hit later that night

Hammock
    Hammock Gear - 1.6 with Net
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    I agree with many here. If you get out for an extended period of time sleeping in the wilderness becomes totally natural. We are conditioned to an artificial world that we constructed, thinking it would make us happy and secure. If you live for an extended time outdoors, some of the facade falls away.

My first long hike was 5-weeks and when I returned home I marveled that I could remember every single day, where I hiked, where I slept for the night and generally what I did. I've forgotten the details since but it is a striking change from "normal" life. Your perspective flips.... security isn't what it used to be. From an intellectual standpoint, you are never secure. People die in their cars at an alarming rate. We die at home from inactivity, environmental conditions that cause cancer and a number of issues. The air in our homes is x10 more poluted than the outdoor air. We suffer depression and axiety about losing this artificial world we constructed around us and we die from inactivity related disease.

Man... I need to sell everything and go live under a tarp!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Where did you get the "The air in our homes is x10 more pouted than the outdoor air.", info? Would be nice to have a reference if I'm asked Note that I'm not declaring every statement in the forum needs "backup" reference. It's just that if I pull that one out of my back pocket, I know someone will suggest I pulled it out of a location further down.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear - 1.6 with Net
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Where did you get the "The air in our homes is x10 more pouted than the outdoor air.", info? Would be nice to have a reference if I'm asked Note that I'm not declaring every statement in the forum needs "backup" reference. It's just that if I pull that one out of my back pocket, I know someone will suggest I pulled it out of a location further down.

I pulled it out of my ***. LOL... it obviously varies location by location. We are designing buildings that ventilate much better now days but here are some references with real data.

https://ourworldindata.org/indoor-air-pollution

One of my favorite building resources is Joseph Lstiburek. Maybe because he is a cantakerous grumpy fart like me but his articles on building practices are tons of fun to read. He has plenty of IAQ related ramblings.

https://buildingscience.com/document...l&type%5B%5D=5

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Hey, my tinnitus sounds like cicadas too!
    Maybe I should think of my tinnitus as cicadas to remind me of a happy childhood growing up in the country...............

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast