Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Does hammock camping freak you out sometimes?

Question for you all. Do you ever get a little freaked out when you're out in the woods camping - especially solo? Camping this past summer, it's struck me a couple times that when I'm home, I know my neighbors, I have walls and doors, which we lock at night, even though I know the area and the neighbors. But with camping, you are out in the woods, far away from help, with basically total strangers or even all alone, with nothing but thin nylon over you. With a tarp cover, you can't even see what's out there and coming. It's a little crazy when you think about it.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    In general I'm usually a "worrier", but ironically when I'm in the middle of nowhere I don't worry about it. I have this untouchable mind set, but that will change if I ever have a close call...knock on wood!

There were only about 3 times when I was so far off the trail and remote that I probably shouldn't have been solo. But damnn that was great!

But yes, in the end we're totally vulnerable hiding under that thin tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    This too shall pass. New stuff is always strange.

If I had a bulletproof hammock, I'd be good to go. I'd worry more about the 2 legged critters than the 4 legged ones.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    Question for you all. Do you ever get a little freaked out when you're out in the woods camping - especially solo? Camping this past summer, it's struck me a couple times that when I'm home, I know my neighbors, I have walls and doors, which we lock at night, even though I know the area and the neighbors. But with camping, you are out in the woods, far away from help, with basically total strangers or even all alone, with nothing but thin nylon over you. With a tarp cover, you can't even see what's out there and coming. It's a little crazy when you think about it.
    You just need to stay in the wilderness longer. It is kind of like the first day of school, especially a new school where you know no one. It is exciting but, terrifying because you don't know you place or how you'll react in the face of the unexpected. After the first few days, weeks or months, the school enviroment becomes normalized. Eventually, you miss school. While a holiday break seems welcomed, being away from all your school friends and activities leaves a void.

Going into the woods for longer periods of time, especially solo, changes your perpective. Going out for one or two nights doesn't allow you to become normal in the wild enviroment. Plan a 5-7 day trip into the wild on which you will expect to see few other people. Bathe in a lake, howl at the moon, sit in one place silently for an hour.

Let the woods become your normal and going back to a home where you need to lock the doors at night seems a little crazy when you think about.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    It took me a bit of time to get used to the noises in the woods and to stop imagining every shuffle of leaves was a bear next to my hammock.

I like to pitch my tarp higher so I can see out and since I'm using a bridge hammock mostly I get a good 360 degree view most time anyway (unless it's really going to rain heavily then I pitch it lower).

I reasoned that most of the people I was likely to meet on the trail were going to be nice people so I try not to worry about them. I keep my food away from camp so I'm not too worried about critters coming close. I've only been concerned when I've done backcountry camping near a park entrance where it was easy for people to just walk in and party (I kept a quiet and dark profile for that night). Sure, there might be a crazy person out there but I've found dangerous people in the city and on the roads. Your average person isn't going to hike 20 miles down a trail just to "get you".

Your gear will protect you from the elements but not from people or animals. For those, you need to be respectful/careful and just realize there's a bit of danger in everything you do. On the trail a widow maker can get you more likely than a person.

Images
    I don't think this feeling pertains so much to hammock camping, as wilderness camping in general. A backpacking tent or even a dome tent provides hardly any extra "protection" beyond that of a hammock and tarp.

But I agree with OCDave. With more experience, the feeling of vulnerability will become less and less. In reality the vulnerability stays the same, but the feeling will be less.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Beyond unidentified wild animal or even confirmed apex predator sounds and sightings, by far, the scariest backwoods stories I've ever heard, involved other individuals or groups of people. Hands down.

So, for me at least when solo.

No trail side camping and avoid crowded trail systems.

There are still a lot of woods out there, at least for now. No reason to go to all that trouble to get away from the daily hustle and bustle, only to turn dispersed camping areas into something that resembles a SP campground.

Rolloff!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    backpacking never does.
    day to day life does.

"if you can't see it coming....it ain't there." nooner linville gorge

shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    You just need to stay in the wilderness longer. It is kind of like the first day of school, especially a new school where you know no one. It is exciting but, terrifying because you don't know you place or how you'll react in the face of the unexpected. After the first few days, weeks or months, the school enviroment becomes normalized. Eventually, you miss school. While a holiday break seems welcomed, being away from all your school friends and activities leaves a void.

Going into the woods for longer periods of time, especially solo, changes your perpective. Going out for one or two nights doesn't allow you to become normal in the wild enviroment. Plan a 5-7 day trip into the wild on which you will expect to see few other people. Bathe in a lake, howl at the moon, sit in one place silently for an hour.

Let the woods become your normal and going back to a home where you need to lock the doors at night seems a little crazy when you think about.
    +1, first time I camped solo for 10 days, the first night back home was almost eerie. "Where are my fir trees, where is the fresh air, where are the great outdoors?", was I almost crying out loud.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 09-10-2018 at 17:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast