Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Help an Okie noob out

Hello all from Jenks, OK -

Here's the short end of my story. Been backpacking 15+ years, off and on. Found a sale on REI little over a year ago and bought an Eno double-nest w/tarp. Recently it came me, "I should hike with this!" Now I've wandered into an universe of new gear, new adventurers, and some guy named Shug who posts crazy, helpful videos about the hobby.

I've got a short 2 night trip planned in western Arkansas come November 1 - hiking Eagle Rock Loop out in the Ouachita NF. I want to make this my first trip to officially ditch the tent. Gear-wise, everything will eventually be upgraded...for better comfort, and utility. However, I feel I want to take this step-wise. In lieu of replacing my hammock, tarp, and suspension, I think I may opt to just add in an underquilt to my current set-up. Needs to be something 3-season, but I'm unsure whether to go full length or the shorter 3-quarter length. The full length seems to offer more versatility, while the shorter saves weight/space. Hammockgear.com's premium quilts look appealing.

Can anyone offer some suggestions/pointers regarding insulation to a guy new to the sport?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I always recommend that new hangers attend a group hang in their area even if it is just to visit; to be able to see the different set ups and talk to the users about the how and why about the gear being used.

I recommend going with a 3/4 length UQ and one rated to 20 degrees. A 3/4 length UQ will weigh less, take up less room in your pack and save you a few dollars. If if gets real cold and your feet get cold you can use a small closed cell foam pad to insulate your feet although I find it easier to just throw my jacket down at the foot end and rest my feet on that. Go ahead and a get a couple of ounces of overstuff when you order your quilt. I have a FL UQ and have only used it twice since I got it about 7 years ago while I own a bunch of 3/4 UQ and use them all the time.

I also recommend making sure your gear is of different colors to make it easier to ID. If everything is camo then it can be hard to determine where the hammock ends and the UQ starts, you might thing you are getting into your hammock and try to lay on you UQ instead. I have two UQs and one TQ that are the same color and I have gotten out in the woods and found out that I brought two UQs and not a TQ. Used one of the UQs as a top quilt, was cool but I made thru the night.

Hammockgear has some great quilts. I have been using their 20 degree Phoenix UQ for about 8 years and have one their 20 degree Burow TQ; both great pieces of gear.

My daughter lives in Broken Arrow and The Terminator and I hope to visit her family over Thanksgiving. I am hoping that I can take 3 days off from that visit to hike the Eagle Rock Loop. From everything I have read and seen, it looks like a very hammock friendly trail.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The best starter quilt set for most folks is a 20* quilt set. My first set was an HG 20* Phoenix UQ and 20* Burrow. I used that quilt set for a couple of years, before I eventually bought a 40* quilt set and a 0* quilt set. I think I'm now equipped for any weather eventuality.

Mostly, I use my 20* quilts. Here in New Jersey, it rarely gets cold enough to need more. However, when it does get cold, I have my HG 0* Incubator & Phoenix to keep me warm. And if it gets really cold, I'll double up a 20* and 0* quilt set just to make sure I stay warm.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-09-2018 at 23:31.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Same here. My first quilts were HG Phoenix and Burrow 20*s. Still use the Phoenix on most trips, probably my favorite piece of gear!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yours is an object lesson in the advantages of a modular system: the ability to swap out or upgrade selectively. If I could own only one UQ it would be full length. In actual practice I have a full and a 3/4 length and use the shorter one more often. The caveat to that statement, however, is that here in the southeast I rarely encounter very cold conditions so I pack accordingly. Last time I was out in freezing temps I didn't hesitate to take the full length and was glad I did.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Whatever you decide on, it's not like ordering from REI, and getting your stuff 3 days later. Most quilts are made to order, and will take several weeks. Order now. Failing that, I live just down the road from you, and will be happy to provide a loaner.

Also, join us at the Texas Hang 9-11 Nov.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...xas-Fall-Group
    Last edited by oldgringo; 09-10-2018 at 07:51.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have both full and 3/4 lengths. If you get cold feet it might be worth it to go full length initially. I use my 3/4 length for 3 seasons but I usually carry a sit pad I can tuck into my top quilt under my feet and lower legs if it’s a little colder.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Appreciate all the advice!

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft NylonD
    Tarp
    OES 4 season
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ, Down20*Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Okie here as well. I've hiked in the Oklahoma portion of the OT, but haven't made it over to that area. I hope to do that one at some point in the near future. I've got a 3/4 length UQ that has worked well for me. It takes a little more fiddling to get it in the right place then I imagine a full length would, but I've been happy with it. The sit pad in the bottom of the bag works pretty well.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DYNEEMA FIBER
    Insulation
    WL 20* TC & 20* BC
    North OKC here,

I use a Wilderness Logics 3/4 UnderQuilt 20* +2oz, 20* +2oz TopQuilt with a sit pad and or the pad out of my pack in the foot box, having in the WB-XLC works really for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast