WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Dear Abby❤️
    my lob
    I blame Alex not me these guys could not be more genuine.. I want to buy their hammocks because they love what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Ah yes, campfire pics are the best...
    ... and there's Blueberry cobbler in that Dutch oven!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

We returned to Florida safe and and sound after 8 days in Maine.

Many thanks for the warm welcome- this was our first visit to Maine and are already looking forward to our next visit. We've had this hang on the radar for several years. When our good friend, Mad777, moved to NH this year, we gave the planning another go. Lobsters and camping are such an unusual combination: both rank super high on my list. I was excited about this hang and after several missed opportunities, the bar was inadvertently set pretty high. I'm happy to report it was even better than what I conjured in my mind!

Our site at Meadowbrook, was beautiful and overlooked pines down to the pond. We hiked the nature trail and enjoyed the slight elevation change, a worthwhile challenge for this flatland Florida hiker! The late summer weather was glorious. We heard a lot of residents talk about suffering through the hot summer, but we were perfectly happy in the cooler (compared to Florida) temperatures. Upper 40s night temperatures made for great sleeping weather, as well as a chance to wear our down jackets again. Thanks to trikertom and family for hosting us and organizing the incredible lobstah dinner. They run an excellent operation, even cooking up breakfasts for hammock campers! Trikertom is a fountain of knowledge about the local history and we followed his advice by visiting Bath, Land's End and Harriet Beecher Stowe's cabin, all within 20 minutes of Phippsburg.

On our first night, we were slightly disorganized and didn't realize there was a potluck scheduled, so we headed to town in daylight to pick up provisions and spend a few minutes at LL Bean. Those few minutes took us to nearly midnight, fabulous dinner in town included! When we finally got settled around the fire ring Friday night, many had already turned in for the night.

Saturday was spent leisurely checking out the hammocking gear, meeting folks, napping, imbibing tasty Henny Pennies (thanks tollermama!), playing with the dogs, and getting a small hike in. By 5:00, the raffle had begun, and afterwards, we picked up our delicious lobster from the pound. Our dinner in a bag came with (3) hand picked lobsters, steamed clams, potatoes, and corn on the cob. I dug into my lobster and was in heaven as I listened to tollermama graciously introducing newbies into the fine art of dismantling and chowing down a lobster. After dinner, we positioned ourselves around the campfire, and enjoyed each other's company. The aroma of two DOs of bubbling blueberry cobbler tempted anyone who had room left in their tummies. Unfortunately, I didn't plan that far ahead, but will remember next year.

As is true with most hangs, we learned a few tricks and took them home with us. Some of the tips were not even related to camping, such as the tip Futhark and Ljane shared with me regarding yarn work- thanks, ladies! It was also interesting to me the way firepit duty is done. No fussing and poking of the firepit with designated tools, nor messing with the arrangement of wood in log cabin style or teepee style. Instead, and on several occasions this weekend, I watched people march right up to the pit with an armful of logs (complete with label and plastic) and unload right into the fire. Friday night, I believe gogrillz teetered up, growled like a bear, then unceremoniously drop an armload of logs right into the pit. Maine style? I don't know, but it worked beautifully and created a nice warm fire! The Floridians giggled and took note- I like your style!

Ljane's post about Maine was incredibly funny: Clearly we were doing our best to represent Maine: The Way Life Should Be by being as lazy as possible! The mood was infectious. Hikerfast invited us 3 times to go kayaking on the river with him. It was a generous offer, and he was equipped to go. Unbeknownst even to us, we were following the Maine L&L weekend credo: we passed up the chance to kayak in order to hang out and laze around the campsite!

Not everyone lazed around though, some folks worked very hard to get donations for the Lighthouse Preservation Society. Special thanks to HK2001, Ted, Futhark, Ava, Ewok , the vendors, and all the others who helped in some way with the raffle: from procuring donations and selling tickets, to calling out prize winners. At these hangs, we're always happy to donate to a worthwhile cause, since we usually don't win anything. Our luck must have taken a turn, though, because we brought back an unexpected haul to Florida!
    Our thanks to the following vendors for donating- we are excited to share and show off your wares in the great outdoors:
    Huppy Bars
    Gutsey Bars
    Cedar Ridge Outdoors: jim.j has been looking for a new gathered end hammock for backpacking for a while- thanks!
    Jeff's Gear: pack covers that are perfect for unexpected Florida showers
    Lawson: glowires to replace our existing cordage
    Ridgeline Media systems: HTH phone holder

So glad we came up to meet everyone, we look forward to getting to know you better at future hangs! It can be intimidating to meet a big group all at once. I encourage anyone on the fence about next years's hang to go ahead and experience this with such a warm, welcoming group. A few folks (tollermama, sunshower and Nate, etc) mentioned trying to make it down to Florida this winter for a hang- it would be a pleasure to see you down here! There is Hangcon in January, but we also do several other more intimate events monthly October through April, during the nicest Florida weather. We would love to see you all down here!

j-e-m (and jim.j)

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Really needed to share this one
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brazilianguy View Post
    Really needed to share this one
    Right good slumber-van!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Have to ask what a Henny Penny is??

Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post

Tollermama's delicious concoction of grapefruit juice, elderflower liqueur, and gin. For me, just perfect for sipping: not to sweet nor too tart. Maybe she'll make it for you at Goshen?.... Have a great time!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post

Somebody needs to stay more alert around the campfire! LOL

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Ewok (Ali) and I travelled up to Newburyport, MA this evening to deliver the proceeds from the L&L raffle to Jay Hyland - President and Founder of the Lighthouse Preservation Society. Jay is a fount of knowledge about the nation's lighthouses, which were established during the presidency of George Washington, and the first great Public Works project. Established by the 9th act of Congress, allowing for safer commerce back before cars, trains, or planes, when everything was delivered by water transport. The entire coast of the US, as well as the Great Lakes. Just amazing!
    IMG955008.jpg

Jay was extremely appreciative of our donation - $1935.00 - and assured us it will go directly to preservation projects.

Sincere thanks to all the vendors/donators, and folks who participated to make this donation possible!

SkyPainter - Chaaaz
    Ewok - Ali

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SkyPainter; 09-22-2018 at 10:09.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Fantastic cause in my opinion. Well suited to the fantastic hang that produced it. Let me thank one & all for the wonderful experience I had this year!

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast