SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett

Wide 1.0 hammock fabric?

In a perfect world, dutch announces hexon 1.0 wide. I have faith in my hexon 1.0 not dropping me on my butt, but it's not a comfortable lay. I need a wide body.

I made robic xl 1.0 this summer and LOVE the feel but it ripped right in two while I was setting the ridgline length, didn't even get 1 night in it. Didn't have any sharp objects, wasn't swinging. Just failed in hilarious fashion. Ever since, robic has scared me. Perhaps the 1.2?

Any other fabrics I should be looking at? Weight isnt the only goal, but I'd like to trim a few more ounces from my hammock if I can.

6'3, 175.

If you like Hexon 1.0, you could always hem it wider a la ENO. Just hem two strips to either side so that you're not actually laying on a hem with your weight. A hybrid felled seam would look good, feel good, and work.

I've been sleeping in a Robic 1.0 as my non-bug season hammock for more than a year now without any issue, so I'm always surprised when they fail without cause, but I guess I'd feel the same way. If I made an UL hammock today it would be Robic 1.2. I haven't tried the 1.1 MTN nylon at all, but that's another option.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't think you are going to see a wide version of the 1.0 Hexon anytime soon, unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be enough demand for more wide fabrics. And RbtR just posted that they are not going to make any more hammock fabrics lighter than the 1.2 Robic.

The 1.0oz Robic XL had issues, but apparently only a small percentage was affected by a manufacturing defect. So you were simply unlucky. I'd give the 1.2oz Robic XL a try. It has received very good reviews so far.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    And RbtR just posted that they are not going to make any more hammock fabrics lighter than the 1.2 Robic.
    Where did they post that? That's unfortunate.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QFT View Post
    Where did they post that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    Although relatively small in number compared to the total amount of yardage sold for hammock use, we have seen some durability issues with the 1.0 oz ROBIC XL specifically. This is an extremely lightweight hammock fabric, likely the lightest to ever be put into mass use.

Pushing the envelope on fabric is integral to our mission as a company, but the fact is that we've easily had more issues with 1.0/1.1 oz ultralight hammock fabrics than all others combined. To that end, we made a company decision earlier this year to stop development on any future 1.0/1.1 oz hammock specific fabrics. In the case of 1.0 oz ROBIC XL, we've been phasing that out for some time in favor of our 1.2 oz ROBIC XL Hybrid. From speaking with several vendors on this general topic over time, I can tell you that many share the same sentiment when it comes to making ultralight hammocks. Some have removed 1.0/1.1 oz fabric options (ROBIC, nylon 6.6, or other) altogether for this very reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by QFT View Post
    That's unfortunate.
    Indeed.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I don't think you are going to see a wide version of the 1.0 Hexon anytime soon, unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be enough demand for more wide fabrics. And RbtR just posted that they are not going to make any more hammock fabrics lighter than the 1.2 Robic.

The 1.0oz Robic XL had issues, but apparently only a small percentage was affected by a manufacturing defect. So you were simply unlucky. I'd give the 1.2oz Robic XL a try. It has received very good reviews so far.
    Thank you. This is actually good news, I suppose, as I really liked the feel of 1.0 robic. I'll try the 1.2 as my next build

Hammock
    Dutch netless Robic 1.2 xl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE Enigma 30
    Suspension
    hammock anchor
    I had Dutch make an 11 ft net less in Robic 1.2 xl and I am very happy with it. Very little stretch and super comfortable. For me at least (6’2” 190)

• + New Posts