Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ultralight backpacking hammock w/ removable bug net

Hey all. I’m new to the forum but have been reading your posts and trying to educate myself for a bit. There’s a lot of great information here... almost to much for someone who’s looking take the plunge and switch to a backpacking hammock. I read a previous post on UL hammocks with an integrated bug net but figured I would put this out there again to see if opinions/favorites have changed over the years. So with that said...

I am in the market for an ultralight backpacking hammock preferably with a removable bug net. I would like to be in the 1lb range to easily justify leaving my tent/bivy behind. I’m about 5’10/180. What are your favorite manufacturers for hammocks, suspension, tarps and components. Any list you could provide for all necessary components would be super helpful. Im open to getting a new top quilt, bottom quilt, using a pad... whatever is best. I’m not concerned about the cost as I would simply prefer to do it right the first time. What would all of you suggest? Thanks is advance!

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    For a removable net on a hammock, I'd go with a Dream Hammock Raven or Dream Sparrow, a Dutchware Chameleon, or a Warbonnet Eldorado. My preferences would drift toward the Raven or Eldorado. You can take any of those and change fabrics to get in the weight range you suggest. A pad will work fine, but I prefer down, and if money is not an issue, go with the higher fill power to save weight.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Thanks Peppy. I’ll start taking a look into those suggestions. I guess I should add, when I say 1lb I mean the hammock body, net, suspension, and tarp. Basically the equivalent of a tent body, fly, and stakes. I do understand that once I factor in a pad or quilts it’s going to increase the total weight just as it would if I was carrying my tent, pad, and mummy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NeOutdoors603 View Post
    Thanks Peppy. I’ll start taking a look into those suggestions. I guess I should add, when I say 1lb I mean the hammock body, net, suspension, and tarp. Basically the equivalent of a tent body, fly, and stakes. I do understand that once I factor in a pad or quilts it’s going to increase the total weight just as it would if I was carrying my tent, pad, and mummy.
    I'd love to see a picture of your 16oz tent with stakes.
    Basicly you will not find a 1lb hammock with tarp at any price.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Basicly you will not find a 1lb hammock with tarp at any price.
    Zpacks hexamid solo with floor and stakes is couple oz's over a pound. Finding a
    durable hammock, tarp and stakes to match that weight will be a chore I believe.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Lightest with net I've seen is the Hexon 1.0 weight Half-Zipped, or Flippin The Bird, or a netless + a bottom entry bug net, all around 13-14 oz. Only the third option features a fully removable net. A Half-Wit is more like 10oz if you're OK with just torso net coverage.

Lightest suspension is probably UHMWPE straps; probably 2oz for a pair.

The lightest tarp you'll find is a DCF asymmetrical tarp, about 5oz. Add lines and UL stakes, I'm guessing it's about 7-8oz.

That brings you to about 22oz for the lightest hammock + bugnet + suspension + tarp + stakes system you can put together. If you buy the netless hammock with an add-on net, it'll be about 19oz when you leave the net behind.

Keep in mind, that hammock is comfy, but the tarp is small and requires a good pitch, and you still haven't added insulation.

Insulation: Once you go below ~40 deg at night, the quilt you need will weigh more than the pad a ground sleeper needs. 3/4 size quilts help but not everyone likes them.

Tarp: If coverage is a concern, I'd consider adding 2-5oz for a tarp which is either hex tarp, or hex with doors.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QFT View Post
    Lightest with net I've seen is the Hexon 1.0 weight Half-Zipped, or Flippin The Bird, or a netless + a bottom entry bug net, all around 13-14 oz. Only the third option features a fully removable net. A Half-Wit is more like 10oz if you're OK with just torso net coverage.
    At 180 lbs is Hexon1.0 doable? I though most vendor stopped making 1.0 hammocks do to all the failures in the field/warranty work.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-07-2018 at 19:28.

I'm 185 and I've been using a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair made out of 1.0 hexon for over 2 years with no issues. At a little over a pound, here's the hammock in its stuff sack with whoopies. Straps not added in to the weight.

Last edited by michigandave; 09-08-2018 at 14:04.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE

My Brief Experience with Hexon 1.0

At 180 lbs is Hexon1.0 doable? I though most vendor stopped making 1.0 hammocks do to all the failures in the field/warranty work.
    At 150 lbs, Hexon 1.0 works for me but there are tradeoffs. Compared to 1.6 material, sag becomes noticeable but not a deal breaker. Would think 180 pounds might be pushing the limits.

Fabric is pretty thin, and I find myself checking, checking, and checking pockets for snagging objects. Same for branches that could snag the hammock around me. The material will work for me, but setup will require greater care and vigilance.

Big Sky Wisp.png

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast