Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Didn't Sgt. Rock have a sub 1lb hammock, bugnet tarp set up?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    At 180 lbs is Hexon1.0 doable? I though most vendor stopped making 1.0 hammocks do to all the failures in the field/warranty work.
    Yeah, it's rated to 200 lb. I've heard more about Robic 1.0 failing than Hexon 1.0.

Ultralight backpacking hammock w/ removable bug net

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I'd love to see a picture of your 16oz tent with stakes.
    Basicly you will not find a 1lb hammock with tarp at any price.
    I typically carry an MSR carbon reflex or an OR helium bivy. These range from 18oz - 23oz, packed weight...Maybe I need to be more specific 510g - 652g. As others have pointed out, there are a variety of options in the 1lb range for an UL backpacking tent. It’s simply a matter of what you want to carry for weight vs comfort. Every ounce in your pack comes down to need vs want. I’m sure you understand how this applies when building an UL hammock setup. With so many options on the market for materials and components, I’m looking for members advice and experience to help me find that sweet spot between weight and comfort. As stated in my original post, I am looking for something in the 1lb ‘range’ and would appreciate any beneficial information or helpful advice you can provide.
    Last edited by NeOutdoors603; 09-08-2018 at 03:04.

In regards to manufacturers, it seems like the preference is dream hammock, dutchware, and Warbonnet. Anyone else I should be checking out?

I’m interested in any experience based advice from trial and error in dialing in your setups. I’m talking about those “should have done this the first time” types of things. I find that in trying to fine tune my kit sometimes I play to far towards weight or comfort which has led to some expensive mistakes. Hopefully, the combined experience of all of you can help me to strike that balance and get it right the first time. Thanks for all your advice.
    Last edited by NeOutdoors603; 09-08-2018 at 03:20.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Leave the rain jacket and pants at home..

http://wildernessinnovation.com/shel...vival-shelter/

Quote Originally Posted by NeOutdoors603 View Post
    In regards to manufacturers, it seems like the preference is dream hammock, dutchware, and Warbonnet. Anyone else I should be checking out? Thanks to all of you for your help.
    Possibly more important than the specific manufacturer will be the fabric of choice for the hammock as well as the type of suspension system. If light weight is the primary driving factor, some custom or DIY work may be in your future. Robic 1.2 fabric may be a good combination of light weight and the strength you need. If you can get by with a 10-foot instead of 11-foot hammock, you'll shave a gram or two. Possibly using kevlar straps and becket hitching the hammock using amsteel loops will work, but I don't have experience with that specific setup.

Off the top of my head, if I were really trying to cut weight I'd go to Ripstop by the Roll for some 1.2 robic, make a 10 foot hammock with amsteel loops to gather the ends and maybe DIY a HUG style bugnet out of the lightest noseeum material I could find. Two 8-foot kevlar tree huggers would be about 2-3 ounces. A cuben fiber tarp will add roughly 5-6 ounces, plus whatever guylines you used.

In contrast, here's a fairly light option from Dream Hammock. https://www.dreamhammock.com/order_d...tml?order=7332
    It's order number 7332, which is a 10-foot 1.2 robic Darien. It's 61 inches wide. You could go 58 wide and shave a few grams. It includes a peak shelf and a ridgeline organizer you could leave off for a few more grams. It's just under 13 ounces including the full bugnet. You'd still need suspension and a tarp, which will definitely take you over your one pound limit, though.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In my opinion, if the lowest possible weight is the highest priority, tents/bivys win easily, especially when you factor in comfort and robustness. It's possible to keep the weight for a hammock and tarp at around 1lb, but you need to sacrifice comfort. The lightest 11' hex tarps are made from CF and weigh about 5oz. Which only leaves about 11oz for the hammock with integrated net. The lightest 11' no-net hammock I ever made is from a 1.1oz ripstop nylon and weighs 7.55oz. A net and zippers probably would add at least 4oz. So you would already be over the limit already without suspensions and stakes. Which means that you would need to cut weight by decreasing hammock length and width, and tarp size. That's what SGT Rock did to bring the weight down. I'd rather sleep on the ground than in a short and narrow hammock made from light and therefore stretchy fabric that gives me backpain. But everybody has their own pain threshold.

To the OP: it sounds like you have no experience with hammocks, yet. If you are only looking for weight savings, I'd say stick with your tried and tested tent/bivy set-up. You will likely be happier. If you want to increase comfort, don't look at the weight initially. Get a simple and cheap no-net hammock in the medium weight range and see if you like it. If you do, you can whip it shorter to see if it's still comfortable enough, and work your way down to a UL set-up.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Think system: Dutch Half wit (half zip if you must have full net), Venom straps, HG hex 11' tarp, Enlightened Equipment hammock edition TQ and Revolt UQ... OR Loco Libre Operator quilts... for a total of 2.3 to 2.7 lb. A setup like this (I have EE quilts) fits in my Zpacks Zero (36L) with gobs of room to spare.

Those 2 long zippers for a removable bug net constitute a significant % of weight for a UL hammock.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I've been trying to dial in an ultralight set up for a while now. I know there are a few on this site that have been more or less successful. I have yet to break that 10 lb
    baseweight, been hovering around 12 to 12.5 for a while now. my advice is to shave ounces elsewhere. don't skimp on your hammock set up. you can get pretty low but I would rather have a pack that weighs a lb. or two more than sleep in a short uncomfortable hammock. when I was younger I had no problem being a tarp and ground pad type of guy but as I'm getting older the only way you are going to get me to is if we are above treeline or in a similar situation where there is nothing to hang from. my quality of sleep has more to do with pounding out miles than a couple extra pounds in the pack. that being said your quilts can be a good way to lose a bit of weight. I have a set of Loco Libre's operator 50* quilts on order that will help me shave over a pound in the summer compared to my 3 season 20 and 30 degree quilts.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    My lightest hammocks are a Towns End Bridge with carbon fiber bars at about 14oz in 1.2 Robic, and my Little Shop of Hammocks Warrior (integrated net), at about 17oz in 1.55 AOR2. Neither have a tarp include. I have a 10oz tarp to use with the bridge (prototype from Just Bill) and a 15oz UGQ Hanger. If I went with Cuban fiber I could get one about 5-6oz. I think one could easily get around 3lbs or so for a setup, maybe slightly over. If I got an UL tarp I could probably get, personally, around 3 1/4 - 3 1/2 lbs. That would suit me fine. With hammock, my 3 day summer pack is usually about 12-13 lbs total. My winter pack comes in about 17-18. Having said all that, my longest Trek to date comes in November this year. Guess I’ll know more after that, but I’ve never had problems with my current weight on the trail. A few extra ounces for the hammock are worth the good nights sleep I get!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast