Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeOutdoors603 View Post
    Alright. So, i get it... my hammock is going to weight more than my tent but be more comfortable. That's kind of the way the world works... you can't have your cake and eat it. So, with that said, who would you recommend I look at for custom hammocks? So far, I've got Dream Hammock, DutchWare, and Warbonnet. I'm really not looking to make this difficult but if those are the top three than great! If there is something else I should consider, please let me know!
    Add Simply Light Designs Trail Lair to your list.

If you can, go to a hang and see if you can try out other hammocks.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Dutchware, Dream Hammock, Little Shop of Hammocks, Simply Light Designs, Warbonnet, and Wilderness Logics always seem to be my short list. Personal preferences: Dream Hammock Darien or Raven, Little Shop of Hammocks Warrior, or Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. Having said that, it’s hard to go wrong!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never tried a Dream Hammock, or the Warbonnet XLC, but my Dutch Chameleon is very comfortable. The bugnet or topcover is removeable, so you can leave it home when you don't need it. While it can be a lightweight hammock (around 15 ounces for the hammock alone), it seems Dutch is intent on selling a vast array of accessories for the Chameleon. You can get a bugnet, topcover, sidecar, peak shelf, storage pocket, bottle holder, breathalizer, et cetera. I'm sure he'll come out with even more accessories.

The main thing is that the Chameleon is comfortable.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Theres the "money is no issue" Hammocktent.com ver 2.0 and Zpacks built cuben fiber tarp, you're all in at around 26oz.

No removable bugnet, but super comfortable and built to go to ground. Love mine, but admittedly haven't tried a gathered end.

Luke includes everything you need (maybe you need stakes? I got my tarp second hand) so its easy for a new confused hammocker with the hammock jargon. Easy setup. Set the Ridgeline level and you're good to go. You likely have a pad already, so save on an UQ.

Highly recommended

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jimswms; 09-15-2018 at 05:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Theres the "money is no issue" Hammocktent.com ver 2.0 and Zpacks built cuben fiber tarp, you're all in at around 26oz.

No removable bugnet, but super comfortable and built to go to ground. Love mine, but admittedly haven't tried a gathered end.

Luke includes everything you need (maybe you need stakes? I got my tarp second hand) so its easy for a new confused hammocker with the hammock jargon. Easy setup. Set the Ridgeline level and you're good to go. You likely have a pad already, so save on an UQ.

Highly recommended

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
    Jim, thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the hammock tent in the past but thought all of the suspension cords might get knotted up when storing it. I’m sure there’s a “right” way to pack it but any issues on your end?

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Jim, thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the hammock tent in the past but thought all of the suspension cords might get knotted up when storing it. I’m sure there’s a “right” way to pack it but any issues on your end?
    No issues whatsoever. There is a cover made of noseeum that you pull down over the strings to keep them contained. It literally is that simple.

Hammock
    Chameleon; Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Dutchware 11’ Hex
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I agree...add Simply Light Designs to your list.

Thanks to the help of all of you, I seem to be down to a shortlist:

Warbonnet Eldorado
    Simply light trail lair
    Dutch half zip

I really like the winter top cover and quilts offered by Warbonnet. Seems to be a good system but the weight appears to be on the higher side of the 3 options. Half zip seems light, but some of the weights listed almost seem too light so I wonder what the actual weight is. The trail lair seems like a solid bet but I don’t see any weights listed. For those of you that have the Trail lair what’s your configuration and weight? They are so customizable. On a whole which of the three gets your vote?

Thanks for all your help!

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I prefer a full net, so that takes out the half wit for me, but I understand it is extremely comfortable. I like the lay of the Trail Lair best so it gets my vote. If you want a system to add to easily, Eldorado all the way.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Thanks to the help of all of you, I seem to be down to a shortlist:

Warbonnet Eldorado
    Simply light trail lair
    Dutch half zip

I really like the winter top cover and quilts offered by Warbonnet. Seems to be a good system but the weight appears to be on the higher side of the 3 options. Half zip seems light, but some of the weights listed almost seem too light so I wonder what the actual weight is. The trail lair seems like a solid bet but I don’t see any weights listed. For those of you that have the Trail lair what’s your configuration and weight? They are so customizable. On a whole which of the three gets your vote?

Thanks for all your help!
    Just a reminder on the half zip that it’s a single direction lay, head left feet right IIRC.

I’m not certain what the weight of the Trail Lair is, but using the same fabric in the Dutch and SLD, the Trail lair “should” be an ounce or two heavier just because of the additional zipper.

From what I’ve seen, all three are great choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast